Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By gc1066
I'm working on a modified 50 year old classic car
It's got a MK2 MX5 engine (1.8 non VVT) with all fresh wiring plus I'm new to Speedunio so I might have done something a bit dim!

Spark output is set to "Wasted Spark", the trigger is set to "Going Low" and ignition load is "MAP".

Something is really puzzling me...
On cranking I get full sync (I'm using both a crank position and cam position sensor), but get no active sparks, timing light not triggered and nothing is seen with the leads pulled and plugs grounded.

So I enabled hardware testing and am able to drive the two spark channels on demand.
  • Using channel 1 I would expect to see sparks on cylinder 1 and cylinder 4
  • Using channel 2 I would expect to see sparks on cylinder 2 and cylinder 3
However, Selecting "On" for channel 1 nothing happens until I select "Off" and then it sparks (cylinder 1 & 4). The same happens on channel 2 (sparking cylinders 2 &3).
This is not at all what I expected, I assumed once set to "On" it would charge, spark, charge, spark as opposed to do nothing until "Off" is selected. Perhaps that is by design though?

So I then setup an inline spark light which lights up when a spark event occurs in the HT lead
Cranking the engine, no spark events are indicated, at the point of stopping cranking both coils immediately fire showing spark events.
This pretty much mimics what I'm seeing using the hardware test feature.

I have swapped out both coils and all the plug leads and still see the same behaviour, and believe this must be software as the hardware would not function if wired up incorrectly.

Would really appreciate some guidance on what amazingly daft thing I have done or what I might have overlooked! :?
Last edited by gc1066 on Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?