Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By PSIG
There are later versions with 4-pin smart coils, but they are of different form factor, so you'd have to research if they could retrofit. Usually there's something out there that can be made to fit without too much work. That said, most passive coil setups above 4 cylinders would use two coil driver modules (one per bank) of 3 or 4 channels per-module as an easier, sometimes cleaner, and often lower-cost option. It's your project, so do your thing!
For some reason I thought a three contact coil was a 'dumb' coil and you needed 4 contacts for a smart coil... luckily I was mistaken and the coil packs are three contact and are therefore 'smart' with their own ignitors, which makes life a bit easier.

I've been updating the pinouts for the Bosch 88-pin connector so I can make an adaptor harness. Looks like there are loads of additional contacts for various body control bits and pieces which I don't need at this stage.

I need to double check all of this in my car and confirm it's right.

Pin Value Notes
1 Heater o2 Sensor Post Cat
2 ewo-close Idle Speed Positioner
3 Fuel Injector 1
4 Fuel Injector 3
5 Fuel Injector 5
6 Ground term 31
7 AAV Valve Auxilary Air Valve?
8 Malfunction Indicator Lamp
11 Engine Hood doesn't seem to go anywhere?
12 EKP CUTOFF Electric Fuel Pump Cutoff
13 Knock Sensor 1
14 Cooling water switch
15 Exterior Temp
16 NTC Engine Comp. Temp Negative temp coefficient
17 HFM signal Hot-film air mass meter
18 Signal o2 sensor 2 before cat
19 Signal o2 sensor 1 before cat
20 Ground Engine Speed Sensor
21 Hall Sensor Signal (Cam)
22 Ignition 4
23 Ignition 5
24 Ignition 6
25 Adjustment camshaft 2
26 Term 30 Terminal 30 - unswitched power
27 Main Relay
28 Ground Shield
29 Idle speed positioner ewo-open
30 Heater o2 Sensor Pre Cat
31 Fuel Injector 2
32 Fuel Injector 4
33 Fuel Injector 6
34 Ground Sensors
34 Ground Sensors
35 Coolant Fan Stage 1
36 Coolant Fan Stage 2
37 Secondary Air Pump
38 Variant Recognition
39 Fuel status Fuel light?
41 Knock Sensor 2
42 Autom. Exhaust Gas recirc exam.
44 TV-Signal Throttle valve signal
45 Ground HFM Permanent Live
46 Ground o2
47 5V -supply HFM Hot-film air mass meter
48 MMR ENGINE nominal impulse nominal torque
49 Ignition 1
50 Ignition 2
51 Ignition 3
52 Adjustment camshaft 1
53 5V Supply
53 5V Supply
54 UB Switched WHAT DOES THIS DO?
55 Ground Ignition
56 Term 15
58 MMI Engine actual Impulse engine actual impulse?!
59 intake pipe change-over
60 Software Voltage
61 tank venting valve
62 Compr. On (A/C)
63 Relay Elec. Fuel Pump
65 Fan Engine Comp. Cleaner Fan
66 Actuation Start Lock
68 Start Lock
68 Start Lock
69 AC demand
71 Knock Sensor Ground
72 Differential Pressure
73 Oil Temp
74 NTC Water Negative temp coefficient
76 signal o2 sensor 2 post cat
77 Signal o2 sensor 1 Post Cat
78 Signal Engine Speed Sensor
79 ESO Rear engine speed sensor output
80 TN-Signal engine speed
82 Blower Monitoring
83 MFI+Consumption Display
85 CAN Low
86 CAN High
88 Diagnosis W lead

It looks like the crank sensor is VR so I'll need a conditioner but those are integrated on DIY-EFI breakout boards which is great.

Just out if interest is it possible to log the output from the knock sensors in speeduino? Would be good to analyse at some point in the future (obviously a way off....)
Some interesting info from this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/boxster-and ... car-6.html

Quoting the relevant part here to be safe

Thank you! To answer your questions:
VVT was my biggest question since my other MS builds didn't have VVTs. As you said in your thread the boxster VVTs are just on/off switches. So is it as easy as just connecting the boxster VVT solinoids to MS signal on one wire and 12v on the other?
Yes, essentially. I connected the two solenoids in parallel, and ran them to a hi-capacity output. Switched on/off. It only affects the intake valve between 1400 RPM and 5400 RPM or so. The car will run fine with them disconnected.

Knock sensors: Are you using the stock boxster knock sensors? Any special setup in tuner studio to make them work?
Yes, and they are tuned to work, but I trust them about as far as I could throw the engine. I'm fairly convinced it would sense knock as it drove a rod through the top of the case, but not much else.

Injectors, coils, TPS, CLT, MAP sensors all seem pretty straight forward to wire up. Anything special for these???
All normal except for these notes:
Coils- you will need a Quadspark for them. I ran 3 off each to keep heat down.
TPS- Depending on the year- the pre-2001 cable operated TP will be normal, the 2001 and up will have throttle by wire. The factory Porsche TPS sensor on the throttle by wire cars have 6 wires, but don't be scared by it because it's just 2 identical TPS in one unit. Redundancy or some such thing.
I didn't use factory MAP so I wouldn't know.

Last thing of note- It's a standard 60-2 Bosch wheel with a 1 tooth Cam Position sensor. It's an inductive sensor, and the missing teeth lie 84 degrees before TDC on Cyl 1.
Been distracted by the birth of a tiny Shalmaneser and busy at work. Hoping to make some progress on this over the Xmas break.

I'm going to use a breakout board to start out with for prototyping. I've also discovered the following Bosch ignitors:

https://webshop.swindonpowertrain.com/i ... uct_id=105

Also available from Autodoc for ~£40

It looks ideal for a 6 cylinder motor. As far as wiring goes is it as simple as ensuring that these get wired in series from the ignition output to the coil? Do these need a serious earth - it says 8.5A on the datasheet which seems quite a lot.

I'll be using wasted spark so I can have sequential injection so I think I'll just need the one of these? Or should I be using two and if so whats the best way to wire this up?
Congratulations! :lol:
For some reason I thought a three contact coil was a 'dumb' coil and you needed 4 contacts for a smart coil... luckily I was mistaken and the coil packs are three contact and are therefore 'smart' with their own ignitors, which makes life a bit easier.
If that is true, you do not need coil drivers. If you are mistaken, then you do. Be clear - yes or no?

If you need coil drivers and if sticking with Bosch, the 0 227 100 203 (3-ch) module you found is fine for three 6-cyl WS coils, as well as the 0 227 100 209 (3-ch) or the 0 227 100 211 (4-ch) mentioned previously, and any variations of them. You can use them in any combination, so even three 9 222 067 034 (1-ch) would work fine. If using coil-per-cylinder, then best is one driver per-coil, so 6-channels.

When using more than one coil driver per-channel, jump the board IGN output resistors and instead place one 15-ohm resistor in the line to each driver. Example diagram from an old V8 thread:
PSIG wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:46 pm Congratulations! :lol:
If that is true, you do not need coil drivers. If you are mistaken, then you do. Be clear - yes or no?
To be clear: The three-contact coils I have are 'dumb' coils sadly.

Thanks for the diagram, very useful!

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?