Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By JireAlao
Good evening everyone, I am currently developing a new type of engine and I need to develop the ECU to control the engine. I saw speeduino and would like to use it for early dev. I have background in c programming language. Here is my question: can I use speeduino to control a 2 cylinder engine with 4 ignition coil on each cylinder that fires simultaneously (at the same time). I will be using throttle as base for mapping and not the map sensor. Will I have to code the software that speeduino offers to my needs or can I use existing software? Is it possible for me to turn on the 8 ignition coils continuously and increase the voltage higher to fire the pistons(i.e working voltage 10v from when the engine is turned on and to fire the pistons 20v which will happen in pulses like 10-50 time a second) I would really appreciate any help you can give me before I start development. You can reach me jirealao978@gmail.com thanks so much for your help.
By PSIG
JireAlao wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 pm… Here is my question: can I use speeduino to control a 2 cylinder engine with 4 ignition coil on each cylinder that fires simultaneously (at the same time).
Good morning, JireAlao. Yes. You can fire multiple coils simultaneously, as the trigger signal is shared. Note the coil drivers should be an IGBT type. Other driver types can use too much current, but IGBTs use primarily voltage, so sharing the signal is much cleaner and within capability of the standard output. Keep in-mind the coil power supply will have to be substantial, with 4 typical coils using 20 to 60 amps combined, and potentially overlapping the other 4 coils' demand to double that power draw.
JireAlao wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 pmI will be using throttle as base for mapping and not the map sensor. Will I have to code the software that speeduino offers to my needs or can I use existing software?
TPS load input is known as Alpha-N, and it can do that, as well as blended TPS and MAP. Even with pure A-N, a MAP sensor is used to take barometric readings for air density corrections.
JireAlao wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:42 pmIs it possible for me to turn on the 8 ignition coils continuously and increase the voltage higher to fire the pistons(i.e working voltage 10v from when the engine is turned on and to fire the pistons 20v which will happen in pulses like 10-50 time a second) …
I'm not sure I follow this part. Firing batched coils to 50 Hz and beyond is no problem, but the increased voltage? Please explain the function a bit more specifically.
By JireAlao
Thanks so much for your help, I am very grateful. Okay there are 2 cylinders with 4 coils each. Not the engine doesn't need air...it will be in a vacuum state during operation. The 8 coils for both cylinders will have to deliver a constant power supply to hold the gas inside the engine (hydrogen) using electromagnets. Now this is to keep the hydrogen from coming in contact with the cylinder walls and hold them in place (hydrogen). To bring them together and activate ignition i.e fire the pistons, I would need to increase the voltage to increase the magnetic field which will compress the hydrogen together and produce energy to move to pistons...hope you understand now. So can I am planning to have 2 wires one to give constant power supply and the other to give power in pulses to the electromagnets. Will speeduino be able to handle such load?
By PSIG
Whether a Speeduino board with typical components could work for that depends on the spec's and control of the current. Offhand, it sounds do-able, again depending on several factors such as timing. If I understand correctly, the constant-current coils do not need control, and the 4 pulse outputs may be able to operate on the standard injection or ignition outputs, depending on the timing required. There is too much missing or unknown info I can't see for me to assess specifically. I'm not asking for it ;) and that's up to you to determine.
By JireAlao
Thanks again for your help. So the constant power supply doesn't need controlling. It will continue to give the same amount of power when the engine is turned on until it is switched off. An I will want you to know this on paper when I did the calculations the engine will produce a torque of 12,507 ft.lbs. An engine RPM of up to 17,000 nd a Horsepower of 40,483.4. That's what I am going with and with what I know I don't think there is a gearbox that can handle such power so I want to go direct to the wheels and us electric motor for reversing the car. So timing is very important here, will use it to control the amount of power the engine produces... Is it still possible to use it and what info do you need to know?
By PSIG
Well, that should get your car to the grocery quickly, and I suggest good brakes. :lol: I think you are coming at it from the wrong direction. I would suggest you determine the control parameters of what it needs to function (timing, pulse duration, hardware requirements, etc), then search for (or design) the controller to meet those parameters. With a list of parameters (3ms or 3µs, signal input type, 10° or 10.176°, 40V or 400V coil flyback, etc) you can determine for yourself if a particular controller or components are suitable. You are missing the list.

I uploaded logs and last tune and dyno plots look[…]

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?