Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By JHolland
kendall wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:27 am With the stock capacitor and resistor, is it correct that the limiting frequency will be 15.9KHz? With a 36-1 trigger wheel that equates to about 26.5K RPM low pass, if I did my math right. My car isn't going to rev over 8000 RPM. Do I need to change out either that cap or the resistor in that circuit?
I wouldn't change it, you will get a timing drift as RPM rises and its best to keep that as small as possible.
By kendall
JHolland wrote: I wouldn't change it, you will get a timing drift as RPM rises and its best to keep that as small as possible.
Okay, I won't mess with it. But in this video he talks about altering the low pass filter in the crank signal circuit at about 1 hour in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuG5068wOUY He said it helps prevent having too much noise on your crank signal.

Regarding the resistors in the ignition circuit on a 0.4.3.c board, for the 106b coil pack, it is correct that I would be changing R25, R27, R31, and R32? Also, in this post viewtopic.php?p=47946#p47946, PSIG, you talk about testing the 106B coil pack to see what kind of driver it has. With an IGBT driver do I need to change to an 82 ohm resistor still or would it be a different value resistor with an IGBT unit?

Thanks for the help. I'll post a few pictures of the parts I've made up.
By PSIG
kendall wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 2:51 amWith an IGBT driver do I need to change to an 82 ohm resistor still or would it be a different value resistor with an IGBT unit?
IGBT driver application notes (TC4424 type) indicate an 8 to 18 ohm resistor as optimum to suppress harmonic ringing with maximum switching speed.
By kendall
Okay, so I tested my coil pack. At first I forgot the resistor in line with the 5V. It read 5 mA from pin 2 to 4. Then I remembered the resistor, but didn't have exactly a 100ohm, so I used 2 47ohm resistors in series. In that case I read .2 uA. In conclusion, it is safe to set this up as an IGBT driver with the 8-18ohm resistors? Any favored valves in that range?

I attached two images but I couldn't figure out how to put them in line posting from mobile.
Attachments
20220924_172256.jpg
20220924_172256.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1265 times
20220924_165642.jpg
20220924_165642.jpg (1.88 MiB) Viewed 1267 times
By PSIG
Your images show OK. Yes, 8 to 18 ohm. Any in that range, and I use 10 or 15 or whatever is handy, and any watts as it's only 5mA continuous. It does pulse higher amps, but only for nanoseconds, so no problem for average dissipation.

Nice coil mount. 8-)
By kendall
Thank you. As you can surely tell, I'm mounting the coil in the position of the original distributor. There wasn't really a better place for it, and it will have a stock-ish look this way. I have two new questions.

For the 106b coil pack, it runs on 5V. My car is older and only has a 12V system. Can I use either connector pin 13 or 28 on the V0.4 board I have to connect to pin 2 of the coil? Or, do I need or is it better to have a separate switched 5V power source that isn't going through the speeduino unit?

For the spark plug wires, I bought a set of VW wires from a jetta that have the right connectors at the coil pack end. It looks like the spark plug end is just longer than will fit over the Fiat spark plugs. Would it be possible for me to simply shorten the rubber boot that fits over the spark plug? Or are there different types of spark plug wires for different types of coil packs/spark plugs? I know I am using resistor style plugs in this engine.
By PSIG
kendall wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:00 amFor the 106b coil pack, it runs on 5V.
If I understand your statement — NO, the coil pack runs on VBAT ("12V" but typically ±14V operating), and is triggered or signaled with 5V for control. Review a coil wiring diagram, but it should be something like coil module connector Pin #:
  1. IGN1 5V signal
  2. +VBAT/+12V fused power
  3. IGN2 5V signal
  4. GND power to block or head
Verify all of that for your specific coil.
kendall wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:00 amWould it be possible for me to simply shorten the rubber boot that fits over the spark plug?
If trimming the boot supplies a) support for the terminal and b)sealing, then sure. There are many types of boots and connectors, so choose what works for you. Many have used 8mm spiral-wound suppression wires, cut to length and terminated with LS1 boots and terminals for both ends. Your choices for what works.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vEjOvxNbPA
Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I must have misunderstood what "after f[…]

I've been away from playing cars for a few weeks, […]

I uploaded logs and last tune and dyno plots look[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?