Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Timus
Few years ago I started a project of building cafe racer/scrambler motorcycle, sadly after many modifications when bike was almost finished carburetors decide to die therefor, my process of adding fuel injection get started.

Hardware:
  • Throttle bodies + injectors + TPS + MAP - Yamaha Fazer 600
  • IAT - Ford part number 9C1112A697BA, connector match fazer one
  • CHT - VW oil temperature sensor mounted directly to cylinder head
  • ECU - Handmade prototype, lately converted to take arduino mega brain with speeduino code
  • Fuel pump - inline bosch 044 clone
  • Fuel pressure regulator - fuel filter with 3bar regulator builtin
Before EFI:
received_1500370963347838.jpeg
received_1500370963347838.jpeg (506.42 KiB) Viewed 3862 times

Throttle bodies are connected to engine head by machined adapters and silicon hoses.
Air filters are pods ones, one of them have IAT installed.
IMG_20200319_120846.jpg
IMG_20200319_120846.jpg (796.54 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
IMG_20200324_162641.jpg
IMG_20200324_162641.jpg (784.6 KiB) Viewed 3862 times
By LAV1000
Looking by the pictures, fuel only ?
Do yourself a big favour and start thinking about ignition also.
You only need to find a way to get a decent crank signal...... :D
By Timus
Yes, fuel only currently. I'm planing to add ignition later but that will require to replace oem trigger wheel to something more reasonable like 36 - 1 and probably replace VR with hall sensor.

OEM trigger wheel:
IMAG0327.jpg
IMAG0327.jpg (272.8 KiB) Viewed 3833 times
By Timus
That's good idea. I will think about it. But for now I need to get fuel running :)
By theonewithin
Note the 9khz crank input max recommended frequency.

I don't know the redline of your engine but you may exceed that point using a 36-1.

May need to go with a 24-1 instead.
By Chris Wolfson
15.000rpm x 36 teeth : 60 seconds = 9000 timing events per second or 9kHz

Will get pretty loud at the Race Cafe with that exhaust pipe at 15.000 rpm!
By Chris Wolfson
There is no practical way to go fuel only with the stock trigger configuration. It uses two VR sensors connected in series. So both give a signal when the single notch comes around, resulting in two trigger signals per revolution, 180° crank apart.
For electronic ignition in wasted spark that is all fine. But even for basic fuel this is not what the Speeduino should get as timing signal. 4 may work, but they are not something you desire. You may have one chance, this is if you analyze the rpm signal to the tach. This may be of higher frequency than 2 spikes per revolution.

Sorry to say that, but the "I only want fuel for now, as it is simpler" is not the way to go, because it is just plain wrong.
See, if you do not have a perfect trigger, a high performance engine (like yours!) will not run well. Your stock ignition working fine does not matter in this case. A correct spark does not fix wrong fuel!
You will spent weeks without useable result, like many before you, until you will find out I'm right.

Have a look at your workshop manual, how your ignition system works. It may only be electronically changing the ignition advance with rpm, independent of load. In this case you should find an ignition curve in the manual. You can copy this in 2 minutes to the ECU map and are done. Just a simple copy process.

If it has some hose to the intake manifold, it will take a load signal too. If you are lucky you find such an advanced map, too. More work with the basic spark tuning, but in this case, because of your custom manifold, the stock ignition won't run correct anyway!

Your stock trigger is fantastic for modifying. Just throw out one VR sensorof the two and use the remaining single one, it is fine. Then, remove the trigger arm, flatten it an tack weld on a slotted disk like 12-1 . You can even make this by hand from some sheet metal with a drill, a file and an angle grinder or weld on 11 teeth cut from any scrap. Done. Cost = Zero. Now you got all you need, reliable as stock.
Keep it simple if you want it to work!
No complicated Hall or optical conversion. Maybe use some Hall sensor in stock location, if you want because of wrong information, but there is nothing to gain from a different trigger. Mr. Yamaha is a very capable engineer, don't expect to be smarter than him.

Think about it!
Last edited by Chris Wolfson on Sat Aug 21, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PSIG
Nice bike. :mrgreen: My different perspective is (for fuel) to try it — almost. There are many engines such as the MX-5 running two pulses per-rev for timing, so it can theoretically work on yours.

The "almost" is that the two sensors likely share ground (-) similar to some Toyotas, Subarus and some others, which can cause substantial signal "ghosting". This often confuses VR conditioners, and was a primary reason the DSC conditioner was developed. However, I have no idea what ghosting issues (if any) that setup would have. Again, it would be a case of trying it or at least 'scoping it first, realizing the combination of trigger weirdness and low resolution may result in a re-think of how you want to do it moving forward. Good luck!
By Chris Wolfson
If you look closely on the pick ups, you will see they probably do not share a ground connection. The must be connected in series, as only two wires exit the casing, but two wires lead to each pick up. The pictures are nice high res, you can blow them up to 300%.
In my limited experience, even the 4+1 Weber Marelli trigger constellation does not work well for aftermarket ECU's in all cases, even as it is dead reliable with the OEM ECU (which was build for that with some special prediction capability on rpm changes ), even with an unscreened pick up.
Most people you ask will recommend 36-1 for fool proof function of any programmable ECU. So two teeth, even for fuel only, seem a bit tricky.

Looking at the nice options for the stock Yamaha trigger wheel, is there a way to make Speeduino put out two trigger events per crank revolution, while being triggered by something like 12-1?
Can, maybe the tacho output, be used as input for the stock ignition? So far the tacho out can only divide rpm by two, so if it could also multiply, he could simply add a second trigger arm to the stock wheel 90° apart and have a 100% better trigger.
That would be an option in the middle.

PS I wanted to give advice to scope the signal first, too. But I don't now if cranking speed will give reliable results, as the engine does not run on it' own, as it is now.

Had it running for a short period again. Same as […]

Ok, here is the first version of the adapter plate[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

don't load your old tune in case it is corrupted[…]

Yes, totally wrong setting. Slight noise in TPS ca[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?