Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
Hi,

I have a 91 1.6 Miata with the Jackson Racing Supercharger on it, LC-1 wideband. I was previously using the Miata MSD Boost controller to help pull timing on the car when in boost but decided to pull the trigger on the Speeduino kit to come to the 21st century.

I followed the PDF to install it everything (BMW VTPS, GM AFM, pulled fuse, and download update software) as well as followed a YouTube series (Cashedout cars). I made it to the point where I am now calibrating the sensors in Tuner Studio but when in Tuner Studios and I am looking to "get the voltage" for the throttle position using the VTPS, nothing is changing value wise. Full throttle, no throttle, in between throttle all come out to 0V. I took out a digital multi meter and was getting 0V across all the TPS wire connections when the Speeduino was hooked up.

HOWEVER

I undid everything (to see how much trouble I was in and maybe find an error) and plugged the original ECU (stock ECU) back in and the reading on the DMM leads were above 5V immediately without issue at the exact same points on the wire.

Confused and looking for solutions on this.

Thank you very much for reading and your thoughts.
Re-read the manual. Check your wiring diagram for your vehicle and use your meter to trace where the issue is.

Perhaps you have a short on the 5V supply?

Who knows. You have the tool you need (your meter). Start looking for the issue.
pani wrote:Check the room fuse
Done. Put a new good fuse in, no change. Checked for power, has power.
theonewithin wrote:Re-read the manual. Check your wiring diagram for your vehicle and use your meter to trace where the issue is.

Perhaps you have a short on the 5V supply?

Who knows. You have the tool you need (your meter). Start looking for the issue.
I took the speeduino out of its case and checked for continuity along the wire and it was good don't know what other test to run?
Do any other sensors work?

Did you check at the TPS it has power and ground?

There are lots of things you can check.

It's all just basic troubleshooting.

I assume you know how a TPS works and what it requires to work so go look to make sure it is getting everything it needs and check that it is outputting what is expected.

And of course you need to make sure you have selected the correct board in engine constants.

This should be in the manual (I assume).
theonewithin wrote:Do any other sensors work?

Did you check at the TPS it has power and ground?

There are lots of things you can check.

It's all just basic troubleshooting.

I assume you know how a TPS works and what it requires to work so go look to make sure it is getting everything it needs and check that it is outputting what is expected.

And of course you need to make sure you have selected the correct board in engine constants.

This should be in the manual (I assume).
Thanks for the response.

The installation before startup requires calibrating three sensors- TPS/VTPS , air temp, coolant temp. Air temp and coolant temp calibrated just fine, TPS/VTPS is not being recognized at all.

The TPS/VTPS has voltage and ground, the wire connection immediately before the TPS/VTPS has voltage and ground ONLY IF the stock ECU is plugged in. If I change nothing except for swapping the ECU from stock to the Speeduino unit, there is no voltage anywhere in those wires or sensors.

I purchased a new VTPS from BMW just in case my other VTPS that came with my kit was bum but there is no difference regardless of which is installed.

I am believing that the issue is somewhere in the unit itself but I do not know how to troubleshoot that besides maybe a continuity test?

I think my issue lies within the board itself
MAP LOOKUP & TS DEFINITIONS

See how the write commands use the identifiers to […]

Ok, I feel so stupid. I was running the Uno output[…]

Let's all have a laugh for second. There's trash[…]

It has been done more than a few times, there was […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?