Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Trevor Getty
theonewithin wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:39 pm There is programmable outputs available now.

Have you seen that option in TS?

It highly recommend you pike through every single menu in TS to get a rough overview of what's hiding.

There is lots of undocumented or badly documented stuff unfortunately.
Thanks for this - I think I have got so far in the menus, by hunting around but I think I am missing something.
Inputs all work as expected and map to pins as expected so ive got that ticked off my list.

But regarding the outputs:

I have found and configured programmable outputs - and assigned
rule 1 -> pin 26
rule 2 -> pin 27

which are stated to be low power grounding spare 1 & 2.
I have setup an initial test condition on both as ( map < 95kpa ) but one fires active low and one active high.

The condition programmable 1 and 2 both fire when they should ( when I suck on the map pipe ) I can see it signal on the TS UI.
The only confusion is that I cannot see the grounding pin voltage give me a ground change. I am measuring between the 5v reference signal and ground.

I am only plugged into the computer with the speedy board - so no other connections are made other than usb, and 5v and the 2 output pins.

I am not sure what I have done wrong - or assumed incorrectly.
By Trevor Getty
Found what was wrong - its now working :)

I had another rule attached to the same pin number, and as a result, it wasn't doing what it should on spare 1.
They both work now when trigger active high and pull my pin to ground... :p

Lovely thanks for the pointers - a good hoke around as you said - worked for this one.
Thanks for persevering with me.

I may try to submit a small PR to the speedy docs - on where to look for programmable output configuration as its different from the input config section
I see some topics in the wiki board section - should I raise a topic Programmable Outputs there to discuss it first with people or is this already being discussed elsewhere... sorry if this is a dumb question.

I also have some information on the correct ECU connectors to use for the Rover but I see a place to put that info on the wiki board.

thanks again trev.
By Trevor Getty
Quick questions ( hopefully ).

I have a custom output currently working exactly when I want it to, but i have some concerns around the output pin I should use on my UA4C board.
E.g. pin26 ( aka low current 1 ).

First question - does anyone know what grounding current the "low current spare outputs" can deal with on this board?

As I want to have this output to a main - relay (grounding will be enabled under most circumstances).
Would it be better to re-purpose one of the higher current pins?
- E.g. I am thinking about using Fan2 - relay grounding which I think is is on pin D25?

I have changed my output rule to this pin and made sure it works as expected.
Can I assume that if FAN2 is not in the speedy.ino file, that its not currently assigned to anything in TS or in the Firmware by default?

Could someone confirm my assumption is ok and that I can use this pin for this purpose, and its better than using the low current pins?

Finally....
This might be a silly question.... So I have a fuel temp sensor, and I see that I have a spare analogue temp sensor pin left.
I wanted to at least log this information in TS for now, but I cannot see how to do this.

If I assign this pin (A8), to something like the oil pressure gauge, it works fine in TS. (Although the config is easy as its via a TS drop-down menu under fuel/oil pressure).

But I can't for the life of me, see how to assign that same pin to the Fuel Temp sensor gauge instead.

It may be that its a buried option, or that I would be better setting it up in the config file? Either way could someone please assist with the best way of assigning a pin to a built in gauge/functional item?

Thanks as always Trevor.
By theonewithin
See the wiki for setting up analog inputs or search the forum. It is somewhat complicated.

Your assumption is correct. If the output isn't listed for your board it is free to use.

The LC outputs are fine to drive a relay.

The HC are more for solenoids or similar that require more current to drive.
By Trevor Getty
Thanks for your replies - I have moved back to the current outputs for my relay driving - thanks.

Regarding:
See the wiki for setting up analog inputs or search the forum. It is somewhat complicated.
I have opened the wiki and played around, and I have set the A8 channel to be a local MCU analogue pin, and I have added the Aux guage to the dashboard and I can see it - but it doesn't ever change.

If I select the same pin and assign it to Oil Pressure I can see it work - so I assume its not a hardware/ wiring issue.

There is a slight note that the internal canbus isn't available to the MCU in the local io configuration menu.
-I have the secondary serial and canbus commands enabled - I am not sure if this is what is impacting my input?

~there is a warning that any local input pins wont be available if on an external source, but I was hoping that would only impact on serial comms of that data.

I have included a screenshot of the warning, incase there is something I haven't setup as yet.
Attachments
canbus-notavail.png
canbus-notavail.png (248.58 KiB) Viewed 4158 times
By dazq
If you have a mega based speedy then yes you will get the canbus not available warning which is correct.
Why so many conflicting digital inputs ?
By Trevor Getty
The digital input pins were not added by me, they were in the base tune I loaded from speedy.

I can turn them all off - incase they are causing any confusion - but as they are currently assigned to different digital only pins I dont think it is my issue, but I can gladly turn them off.

Any other idea, why the pin works when assigned to a normal existing guage but I cannot see it work when assigned to a aux pin guage?
By Trevor Getty
I loaded the ua4c board.
base tune was loaded from rover mems fork but i dont see any changes in that fork to base tune.

i have since disabled all pins except a8 on this config and makes no diff to gauge showing info.

i could load std firmware and new project jic.
By PSIG
Bringing tuning from the Decoder thread back to your project thread:
Trevor Getty wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:38 pm Thanks very much for the hints and tips.
the voltage did need a look - it was on a charger at the time which was causing some external fluctuations and noise in the lines.
I got a bigger battery now to help with this.

Next, I will try to home in on the base ignition timing, and once stable I can put the IACV onto the car and get a good stable idle which will help me to warm it up more easily ( :p ).
You should tune to a good stable idle without help from the IAC. In a general sense, IAC is only to add warmup air for increased rpm, giving warmup stability. You can use a simple on/off valve for that, considering what it's for. Engien response to IAC is slow. Idle rpm control due to variable loads (trans, alternator, power steering, whatever) is handled most effectively with idle timing control, using a method known as "torque reserve".

With torque reserve, we idle with timing lower (more retarded) than at best-efficiency. This reduces available torque, but makes that torque available to apply if rpm drops, helping the rpm to recover against an added load.

Just as a place to get started on idle timing, find the peak effective idle timing at your warm idle rpm. Then set idle timing to 1/3 to 1/2 of that. Adjust the throttle stop to maintain your idle rpm during this entire procedure.

So, let's say your warm idle target is 700 rpm. Adjust your throttle stop to get that. Now increase idle timing a few degrees and watch response. The engine should both increase rpm and decrease MAP, as it is running more efficiently. Reset your idle speed and continue adding steps of timing until adding more does not increase rpm and reduce MAP like before. Stop. Back up one timing step and read the timing, which is your max effective warm idle timing.

Let's say that timing is 24°BTC, so you set your idle timing to around 8 to 12°, and reset your throttle to get your 700 rpm. Done. The engine should now be idling happily with stability, and you'd adjust your fuel to the minimum MAP it will go also. You now have max-efficient fuel and with de-tuned idle timing allowing the addition of timing to add more power.

In order to use this, you need to enable adding timing if rpm falls below target. Two ways we can do this with Speeduino are a traditional Spark Table timing trough (see image), or by using Idle Advance Settings in TunerStudio.

Spark Table timing trough, a timing "wall" to create a valley where the engine is persuaded to idle. As rpm drop, timing is interpolated and increasingly added relative to rpm, providing increased torque to push the idle rpm back towards target:
Spark Table timing trough.jpg
Spark Table timing trough.jpg (48.07 KiB) Viewed 3934 times

The Idle Advance Settings allows either switched advance values, or added values to your existing timing. This example adds timing to your table values. You can see at lower temperatures, timing may be used to increase warmup rpm, assisting or replacing the much slower responding IAC:
Idle Advance EXAMPLE.jpg
Idle Advance EXAMPLE.jpg (116.3 KiB) Viewed 3934 times
Have fun with all that! 8-)

Always going to be one, I have completed 3 convers[…]

Do i have to do something in arduino software ? i […]

STM32 development

Not yet, I have been too busy to look into it but […]

Hola a todos Actualizo!!! Me es grato comunicaros[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?