Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By rallikuski
Hello!

Now im in that point with my project i can start thinking speeduino settings and trying start the car.

But i have some questions for you guys...

Car is mercedes with mercedes m103 straight 6 engine.
I drive ignition in wasted spark mode. My ignition coil is bosch 0 221 503 010 and igniter is bosch 0 227 100 203.
Wiring with my igniter and coil is ok, but should i use 5v or 12v ignition jumper setting to drive that bosch 203 igniter?

I assume my ignition settings are ok.
Spark output mode is WASTED SPARK, spark output triggers GOING LOW.
I found that CRANKING DWELL should be 4,5ms and RUNNING DWELL 3ms and SPARK DURATION is 1ms.
My OVERDWELL PROTECTION is 8ms.
Last edited by rallikuski on Fri Oct 21, 2022 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By rallikuski
Yes i did google that thing now two days and did not get any aswers...

I did get aswer from facebook and my setup is now 5volts.

Then other things... i cant get car running at all. Ive been scratchin my head whole day now :roll:

First I triple checked my trigger angle to be 290 degrees. I use 36-1 wheel at crank.
My engine at tdc start turning crank to clockwise and counting tooths i get 29 tooth when i get on #1 tooth after missing tooth at sensor. So it is right? Degrees atdc when im on #1 tooth after missing tooth?

Second I triple checked my firing order from my coil so that should be ok too. I also triple checked my spark wirings from speeduino to igniter and from igniter to coil :roll:

I think i need to take some time with this project because my head is going over rev right nov :cry:

If somebody knows is this wiring right or not:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ESPCb4 ... =drivesdk/

Now speeduino drives igniter and igniter fires coils like: speeduino spark1 ->coil A
speeduino spark2 -> coil B
speeduino spark3 -> coil C

And my spark plug wires are like:
coil A=1+6
coil B=5+2
coil C=3+4

My firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4

I use vr sensor at crank and 36-1 wheel and i have diy-efi v3 vr coditioner with max9926 circuit.
My jumpers are triple checked too.
Do i need to use RISING or FALLING at my trigger edge? Now it is raising...

My vr sensor wiring is right. I did first get two long spikes at tooth logger and turned vr wires and now i get only one long spike at tooth logger. Tooth logger show pretty good and stable too.

I really hope i can get figured this out...

I did put cranking advance to 5degrees and fixed angle to 5degrees too. I think it shoul fire up with those settings but it doesnt :cry:
Last edited by rallikuski on Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PSIG
rallikuski wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:22 am
I assume my ignition settings are ok.
Spark output mode is WASTED SPARK, spark output triggers GOING LOW.
I found that CRANKING DWELL should be 4,5ms and RUNNING DWELL 3ms and SPARK DURATION is 1ms.
My OVERDWELL PROTECTION is 8ms.
Those settings will probably run, but better settings are… better. Without dwell corrections, you may have a weak or no spark during cranking when battery voltage is low. I would suggest (for now) to put some 'better' numbers in your settings for a better chance of starting, and that includes other settings as well, such as injector voltage and dead time.

I don't have the correct dwell corrections and spec's for your specific coil, but at least this one is similar:

Dwell Corr - 3x2 pack Bosch 0 221 503 002.jpg
Dwell Corr - 3x2 pack Bosch 0 221 503 002.jpg (53.29 KiB) Viewed 8111 times
With those numbers, I would set cranking dwell much longer, and increase dwell protection to at least 9ms, with spark duration at 1.5.

For initial Trigger Angle setting estimate (verify with a timing light!), I suggest following the outline here. Be sure to follow the link in that post to the visuals here. Always test for function before trying to start the engine, such as pulling and grounding the spark plugs to check for visual spark and firing order, and to verify timing matches Speeduino with a timing light, injectors are injecting (short prime pulse test), etc. This just to verify you actually have what you hope you have to start the engine. ;)
By rallikuski
jonbill wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:14 pm 29 teeth until 1st tooth after missing teeth passes tdc, or passes sensor?
are the spark plugs and injectors firing?
29 teeth until 1st tooth after missing teeth is at vr sensor.

PSIG wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 6:20 pm Those settings will probably run, but better settings are… better. Without dwell corrections, you may have a weak or no spark during cranking when battery voltage is low. I would suggest (for now) to put some 'better' numbers in your settings for a better chance of starting, and that includes other settings as well, such as injector voltage and dead time.

I don't have the correct dwell corrections and spec's for your specific coil, but at least this one is similar:

Dwell Corr - 3x2 pack Bosch 0 221 503 002.jpg

With those numbers, I would set cranking dwell much longer, and increase dwell protection to at least 9ms, with spark duration at 1.5.

For initial Trigger Angle setting estimate (verify with a timing light!), I suggest following the outline here. Be sure to follow the link in that post to the visuals here. Always test for function before trying to start the engine, such as pulling and grounding the spark plugs to check for visual spark and firing order, and to verify timing matches Speeduino with a timing light, injectors are injecting (short prime pulse test), etc. This just to verify you actually have what you hope you have to start the engine. ;)
I think i try those tricks tomorow if i get time to go at garage.

And many thanks about helping and not only saying "check wiki" or "google it" :)
By PSIG
rallikuski wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:24 pm… And many thanks about helping and not only saying "check wiki" or "google it" :)
I appreciate the thanks and all of us are happy to help when and if we can. To be fair however, all of this info or data are somewhere here, or the Wiki, or Google (or other search engine). That's where I got your answers myself, although again the coil dwell corrections are still not correct for your specific coil pack, so more searching by you is strongly suggested for best and safest operation and performance. Using close-but-incorrect info is at your own risk, and that even includes incorrect default values in Speeduino.

Simple instructions to search for your own info (here or the Wiki or Google) are not inappropriate. ;)
By rallikuski
PSIG wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 am although again the coil dwell corrections are still not correct for your specific coil pack, so more searching by you is strongly suggested for best and safest operation and performance.
I think bosch didnt use "so many" different specs for "motorsport" coils. At least connections are identical and that 010 and 002 coils looks same. Only connector seems to be at different location...
By PSIG
While some Bosch coil spec's are very similar, I have yet to see any two numbers that were the identical spec's, except those that were only a change in terminal type or 2x2 vs 3x2 using identical internal coils, etc. You can instead test the coil pack you have (if no internal diodes) and run a dwell calculation program in order to determine the dwell numbers yourself for any reasonable voltage. That particular program is very capable, but very sensitive, so any guessed entries will definitely give you crappy answers. Crap in — crap out. :lol: Follow the included directions explicitly.
By rallikuski
I did whole day searching google and found out that my coil (010) is similar to 002 coil except that connector location.
I also measured primary and secondary resistance and they are same in both coils.

I also did get wrong information from internet about coil firing order. I did found tatech ecu guide what uses same coil and wiring coil like in tatech user guide it started to work.

I also had faulty injection driver so many problems for start :D

Now it "only" needs "some tuning" :P

Had it running for a short period again. Same as […]

Ok, here is the first version of the adapter plate[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

don't load your old tune in case it is corrupted[…]

Yes, totally wrong setting. Slight noise in TPS ca[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?