Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By jakster18
gpineau wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:44 am Finally my adapter from the TB to the head have arrived. I am so pleased with these and glad I waited for them instead of using my home made adapters. They are a perfect fit and solid mount between the head and TBs.

I've been working for days trying to print a case for the ECU. I have restarted maybe 7-8 times so far. I finally gave up and tossed the off-brand roll of PLA and put in a reel of ABS. It is looking good so far. Time will tell.
Hi gpineau,

I'm new to this site and I found your Magna EFI project on V4musclebikes and moved over here to follow your other projects. I'm in the research phase of doing a speeduino EFI conversion on my 1987 magna and I've found your projects to be encouraging, exciting, enlightening and can't wait to start mine but I wanted to ask you about these silicone boots/adaptors for the TBs.

I was thinking about using these for my build as well but they say they aren't fuel/oil rated and I've read silicone gets gooey when exposed to fuel. Were you aware of this when you order these? Wouldn't the atomized fuel degrade these or is there not enough fuel to be concerned about? I really like these boots because I think the look great (yours looks awesome) and the sizes we need for this application is readily available. I was thinking of work arounds if the atomized fuel would be an issue; they could be trimmed from both ends so that the TBs are damn near touching the intake ports on the cylinder head or possibly line the inside with a coating that is fuel safe.

Jake
By gpineau
Well Jake you ask an interesting question. The straight answer is no Silicon is not suitable for gasoline. But I am not using these a fuel lines I am using them as manifolds. There will be atomized gasoline (1 part gasoline to 13 parts air) in contact with the sides of the tube and i suppose that over time it will cause some deterioration of the silicone layer. But these are multilayer polyester reinforced. I used similar hoses in my last project and had no issues. For this application this was the best choice I could make to adapt the throttle bodies to the head. If it really worried you, u could coat the inside of the silicone hose with a fuel resistant epoxy.

So silicone adapters aside lets talk about your magna project. What I did last time was a from scratch know nothing about EFI learning experience. My magna was my first EFI experience and took a long time to get it to work and since the end I have thought of hundred ways to have done it better. First off I built that stupid V4 manifold which was totally unnecessary. If I were to do it again I would not do it that way. I would repurpose the carbs as throttle bodies like I did on my first Kawasaki project. After all, you're just looking for a way to throttle the air and carbs are great at doing that. Secondly I would mount the injector inside the airbox just inside the velocity stacks pointed at the back of the carb butterfly. If you do those two things you will be miles ahead and hundreds of headaches ahead from the git-go.

The next challenge and possibly the biggest is getting crank position back information to the ECU. If you have had the crank cover off then you know that there is not much to work with in there. I had a brilliant idea to use the pulses from the alternator to get the job done and in the beginning that seemed like a great solution. However I discovered that at higher RPM the alternator phase pulses completely disappeared!! This is due to the SHUNT regulator that honda uses on these bikes. Whenever the voltage exceeds the threshold the regulator just shorts the output to ground. So that was a dead end. If you followed you saw that in the end I drilled 36 evenly spaced holes on the circumference (with one missing) of the generator wheel and finally was able to get the bike to run. It is not a solution i am proud of but at the time it was all I could think of.

A better solution is as follows. Replace the shunt regulator with a series regulator. Then you can use all the phases pulses from the alternator for crank position information. You will still need to identify TDC for the ECU but that should be simple using some of the Honda timing electronics to identify. Hope this helps. If I were to do another MAGNA- or any other V4 motor I would do it just the way I described. I had a design somewhere I can dig up if you want to try that route.
Good luck. https://youtu.be/GvVWf3nls4A
Last edited by gpineau on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By jakster18
Thank you for your response and glad to hear that these silicone adaptors would work well enough for this application.

Like I said I'm in the planning phase so, I've been doing my research. A link to my thread is below. I found your projects' posts and a Scottish YouTuber that did something similar to his flywheel for his quad. He added the teeth to it like you did but he lathed it down a bit and welded on his teeth, I pasted a link at the bottom if you're interested in watching it.

Thread link:
http://speeduino.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 57b#p48066

YouTube 36-2 Flywheel link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv1vDk-vTSA
Last edited by jakster18 on Fri Feb 05, 2021 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PSIG
@jakster18 - in a general sense, when you move from questions about the OP's project to descriptions or questions about your own project, you should start your own project thread. You can link between the two threads for reference. This allows us (and the OP) to address your project without diluting , hijacking or derailing this user's original thread progression. For example:
jakster18 wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:10 am... Another thing I'm still considering is the O2 sensor. I would like to use 4 WBO2 sensors, one in each header as close to the exhaust port as I can place them but from what I can tell the Speeduino can't handle that many O2 sensors. If that's the case, I would like to use 2, one in each of the 1-3 and 2-4 crossovers, and if neither of those options are possible I'll just use 1 sensor in the final crossover. 1987 Magnas had the weird 4into4 exhaust system with balancing crossovers . It looks cool but I think it'll give me a headache EFI conversion wise. ...
This will rapidly morph into many questions and solutions depending on how you intend to use the data from the sensors. This thread is not the place to discuss or describe your project and different goals, but rather the OP's. Start your project thread. ;) Thanks!
By jakster18
Sorry about that for as much as I use the internet I'm new to forums and got excited in my response. I'll started a new thread an edited my comment on this thread and moved a bulk of my original comment over to the new thread.
By gpineau
One more check mark on the check off sheet.
Got the crank wheel and sensor mounted and tested.
I still need to pull the wires through the grommet and seal them for leaks and then put a connector on the harness.
But functionally it is all good.
https://youtu.be/M_fshWd4Ssw
By gpineau
I asked a question on slack about how to power speeduino and the wideband controller. So after reading the replies I am going with the suggestion that the Wideband should be powered along with the fuel pump. That way when the motor is not running there is no need to be working the the O2 Sensor heater circuit. I ha only ever had one 02 sensor fail before and I never knew why. Maybe thermal shock, maybe overheating but I think this was a good suggestion.
So now speeduino and the ignition coil get powered from the ignition switch relay. The fuel pump and the wideband controller get power from a different relay that is under speeduino control.

I've got things about half wired up but things are going slow. Too many distractions and I am waiting on a shipment of spark plug wires.
Attachments
wire2-9-21.JPG
wire2-9-21.JPG (143.71 KiB) Viewed 5013 times
By LAV1000
I think you made a mistake in your schematic.
Now when you energize those relays they switch over from 11-12 to 11-14.........
By gpineau
Yes, that is what it looks like and I though the same thing, but they actually work they way I have them in the drawing.

Updated the schematic again. Nothing like having something to refer to when your fumbling around with an ohm meeter and nothing makes sense. not all parts I used are in the kicad library so I improvised.

For sure Throttle body harness would have been much easier to ohm out before I installed it. 16 pin connector but Im only using 9 pins for the injectors and position sensors. I still need to find and label the map sensor connections which I may or may no use.
2cvlpg Suggested that Speeduino and the injectors are powered from the same relay so I have made that change.
Attachments
sc1.JPG
sc1.JPG (152.68 KiB) Viewed 4963 times
Last edited by gpineau on Thu Feb 11, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Had it running for a short period again. Same as […]

Ok, here is the first version of the adapter plate[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

don't load your old tune in case it is corrupted[…]

Yes, totally wrong setting. Slight noise in TPS ca[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?