Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By PSIG
LAV1000 wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:32 pm I think you made a mistake in your schematic.
Now when you energize those relays they switch over from 11-12 to 11-14.........
+1. Assuming it is drawn at-rest (relays de-energized), components are shown powered in both diagrams?

Powered un-switched.jpg
Powered un-switched.jpg (94.65 KiB) Viewed 4237 times
By LPG2CV
If the ignition switch relay is of sufficient amps, consider it feeding the FP/O2 heater relay. As it is, it would only take a short to ground of the FP pin to energise the FP relay and heater. Then, If the ignition switch is off, then everything is safer. My personal preference is the least amount of live wires possible when ignition off.
By gpineau
Thanks for your observations.
The relays are drawn in the energized state. Don't know what is customary for diagrams but I have tested this already and verified. The ignition relay picks and energizes speeduino and the coil when the ignition switch is on. And shortly after I can hear and see the fuel pump output is activated by speeduino.

I will consider moving the power for the FP relay but probably not since everything is already soldered and heat shrinked .
By gpineau
At the moment I am very unhappy with the "super cool water proof" connector I chose. The female half has been a nightmare. At first the pins wouldn't go all the way in using 16 gauge wire.
Attachments
shitshow.JPG
shitshow.JPG (54.1 KiB) Viewed 4172 times
Last edited by gpineau on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PSIG
Sealed connectors are nice, but not a requirement for most applications. Normal un-sealed connectors are waterproofed with silicone dielectric grease, as done for decades on everything including aircraft, telecom and marine systems.

A bit more PITA than a slick sealed system, just squeeze liberally into both halves on the terminals and connect. Any excess will push into the wire housing, and you're ready to go SCUBA diving. :lol: I do this to all my connectors (and bulb sockets, plug boots, etc) on anything, if only for long-term corrosion control. Many brands and types work, but my favorite for many years is Dow 4. Thicker and stickier, less runny and slimy.
By gpineau
DOW-4 huh? How about prep-h.

Seriously the cheap DB15 connectors I used last time beat the snot out of these.
Among other things I've ordered a 50 pin Centronics printer connector for mounting to the case and a shielded connector and cable to run to the different circuits and sensors. going to reuse the little internal harness I made and just splice into the Centronics connector. With a little DOW-4 should be pretty close to water proof. I just don't want water getting to the ECU. Everything else is usually in the elements anyway.
Attachments
41YEZ6xMz9L._AC_.jpg
41YEZ6xMz9L._AC_.jpg (19.17 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
71sR9ronEPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
71sR9ronEPL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (69.19 KiB) Viewed 4150 times
By gpineau
SO the decision was to keep all the existing wiring and try to make the connector work. I got another super duper water proof connector and ripped the back guide and the water gasket off the back side and one-by-one moved the wires from the old connector to this "new"" one. Even with the rubber seal missing it was difficult to get the pins into the connecter far enough to hear them click. When they click you know they are in the right spot and will stay put once the lock is pushed into place.

And after moving that many wires and connections I am doing continuity checks end to end of each circuit to make sure I did not make any mistakes.
Attachments
wmess.jpg
wmess.jpg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 4089 times
rg.JPG
rg.JPG (38.27 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
gs.JPG
gs.JPG (44.37 KiB) Viewed 4089 times
Last edited by gpineau on Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By PSIG
Well, thanks for taking that hit for the rest of us and allowing us to learn along with you. If "living and learning" is a valid phrase, you must really be living! :lol:
By gpineau
Theonewithin,
before I started the swap, that was a nicely bundled, twist tied together, ready to loom. But I had to un-bundle everything so I could work on each individual wire and tug it out of the old connector and shove it into the new connector, taking my time not to make mistakes. I know it looks like a mess but I have made no effort yet to re-bundle it and make a loom. It will look nicer when I am finished. Almost finished ohm-ing everything and so far no mistakes. I am using a print of the schematic and a yellow highlighter to mark each circuit as it is verified good. Thats how I discovered I forgot to run a wire to the coolant sensor. I'll do that today. Also forgot to order an air temp sensor. I though I had, but checking my Amazon and ebay order history...no IAT on order.

Things still left to do.
* Finish the wiring
*IAT
*Hook up the fuel line
*Fuel pump
*regulator
*fuel return line.
*Wideband controller and O2 sensor. ( I have a Bosch 4.9 and an unused Spartan I plan to wire up soon)

Its a nice day today, wife is in her easy chair reading a book. I should be able to get a lot done today until it is time for the IAT circuit.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?