Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By gpineau
Thanks for that tour of you journey. It is nice to know I'm not the only one that doesn't "get it the first time around" .
By gpineau
Wasted last week trying to get a stand alone arduino with touch screen display to talk with speeduino. I can talk with speeduino just fine but when using it with the Adafruit libraries the code will only execute a couple times then go into endless timeouts or garbage data from speeduino. I lost focus and started thinking of making a mini dashboard with all the Realtime speeduino data. If I can't get that to work with my display code then there is no point on wasting a Mega2560 on fetching 2 bytes for throttle plate control. I already have working code in the December release so I just ported it over to the March 3rd release and get on with life. I will play more with the "smart dash" when time permits. But I need o get busy making progress on my Kawasaki. I start a new job on the 29th and will have limited time to play with it after that. So I took my March3rd code with my changes and went to the garage. Started first try. Still running rough but I don't think it has anything to do with my throttle plate control. I can eliminate that by removing the call to it from the loop(); Anyhow I am encourage that is running and running better that the last try. I haven't set the injector dead time yet. ( not the same injector as last time). The VE, AFR and spark tables came from the old bike that is now buried in about 2 feet of snow. I don't have MAP hooked up yet. Probably a half dozen little tweaks to do before starting to tune. https://youtu.be/R4Z2pyVRJBI
Attachments
20210316_103121.jpg
20210316_103121.jpg (3.55 MiB) Viewed 4001 times
By LPG2CV
I would think not having map connected is going to have a big impact on the fueling it gets. Very rich I would suspect, as it will get the ve value at idle that you would expect at wot.
By stum
Yes no MAP makes an unhappy engine. I have done it more than once when in a hurry...... then think boy its running like shit........ Hook up the MAP signal. and its sweet again. :roll:
By LPG2CV
@theonewithin

A very valid point, but Jerry does say in his dialogue that he hasn't connected it yet. :)
By Chris Wolfson
ALPHA-N should work best on a bike, at higher rpm blend in MAP. Or just use it as barometric correction. May make sense in Colorado.
By gpineau
Yes it is set u for MAP. Sorry I didn't mention that. I need to run to the auto store and get some vacuum line.

Not enough swing in MAP on a motorcycle to get any type of range. Forces you to rescale and expand the VE table to make it responsive to the throttle.

My other bike ran fairly well with MAP but had the problem of stalling when quickly going to WOT. So I changed it to alpha-n just before I put it to bed for the winter. from what I remember before I parked it, it would scream if you didn't go past 3/4 throttle right away. If you held it there until the RPM caught up then you could go all the way to full throttle. That's what gave me the idea of using the secondary plates . I guess by waiting until RPM caught up with the TPS the MAP also increased which would use the lower part of the VE table.

I have integrated the second throttle plate control into the march code so as soon as I get them wired up and the MAP sensor connection I should some results in a couple days. I am hoping with the secondary throttle plates on this one I can avoid that stalling problem. Otherwise this one will end up using alpha-n too.
By gpineau
A lot has happened since my last post.
I've got the bike running fairly well. A few problems not related to speeduino. Like the fuel filter(s) were causing it to go lean after it warmed up.

Switched from speed-density to alpha-n.
Hand tuned warm up enrichment and idle
Using tuner studio auto tune on the road. It is difficult to visit all the cells in the VE table so when I am finished will hand tune the outliers. But I am getting to most of the middle of the table.
I need to summarize the build and itemize the "special" components unique to this build.
Attachments
st.JPG
st.JPG (133.27 KiB) Viewed 3522 times
Last edited by gpineau on Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By gpineau
Summary.
The secondary throttle plate firmware has not been implemented yet but the code is integrated into the March 2021 code base and I will enable it when I am finished tuning.,

Critical components.
* throttle bodies are from Kawasaki ZG1400
* Injectors are from a Kawasaki Z1000, 230cc/min or close will work. My originals were 420 cc/min an di not work out.
*Crank timing wheel. It is a custom made for this bike. I had 10 made I have about 6 left over I will sell for $20 + postage.
*Crank position sensor. I made from a mold of the original part. Well documented on Youtube.
*Fuel pump. I got mine off of Aliepress, But any 12 volt EFI fuel-pump will do.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3295481 ... 4c4dSAYm3B

*Pressure regulator is for a GMC Buick/Chevy
* Air temperature sensor. I just used the stock GM sensor and hang it between cylinder 1 & 2.
* Coolant sensor https://www.ebay.com/itm/233802353400

I had to install a second sensor so I would have a dash gauge and speeduino sensor. If you use the same for both they will interfere with each other. so I just installed a second sensor in the thermostat housing. (remove the plug on the side)

*TB to Head adapter. I got from ailexpress. You can get the domestically but you will pay $20 each. I got 4 for $26 from china. Cut an inch off of the small side to get a fit closer to the head.
https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/0.h ... 0698738039

* Ignition coil is a VW wasted spark smart coil on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TK ... UTF8&psc=1

*For the crank position sensor I took the original Kawasaki sensor and made a mold of it. Place/hang it into a cup about 1/4 inch from the bottom then fill the cup with silicone mold material. I used ATS627LSG Hall effect sensor. They are available a digikey. they are cheaper from china if you can wait.

* wide band controller. You can use what ever is available. I use products from 14point7 because I am familiar with those and have used 3 in the past. The Spartan 2 OEM requires more hand soldering but is cheaper. I used the SLC2Free on both my bikes.

* secondary throttle plate code. I have integrated my code into the march 2021 release. I will make it available by request.

Video history on youtube
My channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNtsfk ... dt3y3zxi-g
in playlist look for this project....Concours EFI 2.0

The original Kawasaki Concors EFI retrofit

Had it running for a short period again. Same as […]

Ok, here is the first version of the adapter plate[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

don't load your old tune in case it is corrupted[…]

Yes, totally wrong setting. Slight noise in TPS ca[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?