Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By jp_prat
LAV1000 wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:06 am I don't know the sensor specs but it could be that tooth are to small (width) and just work on a lathe but not on the engine.
Check google on crank position wheel to get an idea.
5.0 mm tooth height wil do, I would be afraid to rev your wheel to 10k, it might loose a tooth :(

Also sensor needs to be aligned in proper way to the wheel and maybe the sensor itself clockwise to the wheel.

Don't use old logs on this there just misleading and guide you in the wrong way.

Don't know if tooth log is for the paid version if it is it is well worth it.
You safe yourself a lot of time and it is much easier to share you problems on the forum.
Hi
Thanks for reply. Trigger wheel is designed to match sensor manufacturers recommendations. 4mm wide teeth, 7mm long, and 9mm gap. And it is symmetrical and accurate.

What do you mean by this?
Any change to measure some voltages on sensor output with and without tooth in position?

I dont think it is trigger problem with trigger sensor or wheel. It feels like speeduino somehow is doing very bad job of reading the sensor, or something..?
By jp_prat
theonewithin wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:57 am Spark plugs off as in disconnected the coils?

Install resistor spark plugs and matching leads.
Spark plugs off the engine, so there is no compression effect. This helps and it gets the sync. I had coils connected and plugs in coils so the voltage doesnt rise too high.

I have new resistor plugs and new copper leads.

But if i disconnect coils, so there should be no hi voltage spikes, it doesnt affect this problem at all.

It is not caused by ignition.
By jp_prat
noisymime wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:15 pm A big +1 for resistor plugs if you're not already running them. How close does your trigger sensor wire run to any of the ignition components?
I am running them!

Trigger sensor wire is now running outside the bike, far away from any other wires. But ignition doesnt affect this problem at all.

I have even run speeduino from seperate battery with no help.
By jonbill
it works in the lathe and works on the engine without sparkplugs.
but doesn't work with plugs in, with or without the rest of the ignition present.
so compression is the difference.
either variability of speed or displacement of the crankshaft?
a jump start from a running car might tell something about the former and a DTI on the crank might tell you about the latter.
By PSIG
When experimenting with custom signal setups, you would probably be well-served to buy a minimal oscilloscope for diagnostics. While digital analyzers and tooth loggers can tell you if the results are good enough (work, not-work), a 'scope can help show you the base signal, and any other crap around it like noise.

Looking at the 'scope clues you to the type of issue and can lead you more easily to the source, and at various points along the path from sensor to processor. Or, it can quickly confirm the problem is elsewhere. For example, a cheap DSO150 ($25-up assembled) could help with this and be portable as-well. Although the more EFI work you do, the better you'll want; but a cheap one can be the first-step experience to knowing what that is. ;)

David

PS: Buying a cheap 1x-10x probe for it can make your life easier. I have an obsolete rechargeable DS202 pocket 'scope in my tool bag and I use the hell out of it for all kinds of stuff. Handy and quick. IMO, try something cheap and pick your path.
By LAV1000
Forget my remark on measuring the sensor.
As jonbill mentioned it could be a battery issue.
On compression starter needs more current and voltage on battery drops.
If it drops to low, around 9Vdc on de speeduino, speeduino quits hence a sync loss.
It could also be starter going bad which generates electrical noise.

Can you post a datalog of a starting attempt ?
By jp_prat
jonbill wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:46 pm it works in the lathe and works on the engine without sparkplugs.
but doesn't work with plugs in, with or without the rest of the ignition present.
so compression is the difference.
either variability of speed or displacement of the crankshaft?
a jump start from a running car might tell something about the former and a DTI on the crank might tell you about the latter.
Yes! Thats exactly how it does. I am thinking its the variability of speed when spark plugs are in.
I can't really do jump starts and i dont have timing set with the new trigger wheel yet. I couldnt use timing light since there was no spark.

What do you mean DTI? Thanks for the help!
By jp_prat
PSIG wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:11 pm When experimenting with custom signal setups, you would probably be well-served to buy a minimal oscilloscope for diagnostics. While digital analyzers and tooth loggers can tell you if the results are good enough (work, not-work), a 'scope can help show you the base signal, and any other crap around it like noise.

Looking at the 'scope clues you to the type of issue and can lead you more easily to the source, and at various points along the path from sensor to processor. Or, it can quickly confirm the problem is elsewhere. For example, a cheap DSO150 ($25-up assembled) could help with this and be portable as-well. Although the more EFI work you do, the better you'll want; but a cheap one can be the first-step experience to knowing what that is. ;)

David

PS: Buying a cheap 1x-10x probe for it can make your life easier. I have an obsolete rechargeable DS202 pocket 'scope in my tool bag and I use the hell out of it for all kinds of stuff. Handy and quick. IMO, try something cheap and pick your path.
Thats true, I have been thinking ordering a dso150 scope too, and now is the best time, when I would need it :D. Its probably going to take 2-6 weeks to arrive.

But I can try everything else I can. I got upgraded tuner studio so i can use all the functions now.
By jp_prat
LAV1000 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:19 am Forget my remark on measuring the sensor.
As jonbill mentioned it could be a battery issue.
On compression starter needs more current and voltage on battery drops.
If it drops to low, around 9Vdc on de speeduino, speeduino quits hence a sync loss.
It could also be starter going bad which generates electrical noise.

Can you post a datalog of a starting attempt ?
I can try to hook a car battery with thick leads to the bike. Bikes battery is not the best anymore.
It probably is not starter noise, I powered speeduino from another battery that was fully charged too. Not sure if the noise from bad starter could go to the speeduino from some other way.. maybe? I am not sure.

I can post datalog, and i have tooth logger too now.

But if I try to start it with all the plugs in, there wont be much of a log because engine dont get rpm information. Tooth logger wouldnt show anything.
So would it be better to log start attempt with no plugs, or 1 plug ? With 1 plug its able to get rpm somehow. And with no plugs it doesnt have sync loss really.

Always going to be one, I have completed 3 convers[…]

Do i have to do something in arduino software ? i […]

STM32 development

Not yet, I have been too busy to look into it but […]

Hola a todos Actualizo!!! Me es grato comunicaros[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?