Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By jp_prat
runesm wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:27 am Is the missing tooth on a compression stroke?
It has to be pretty close at least, probably because in four cylinder there is all kind of compression going on all the time. But i can check it more accurately tommorrow!
By LAV1000
jp_prat wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:22 am
LAV1000 wrote: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:19 am Forget my remark on measuring the sensor.
As jonbill mentioned it could be a battery issue.
On compression starter needs more current and voltage on battery drops.
If it drops to low, around 9Vdc on de speeduino, speeduino quits hence a sync loss.
It could also be starter going bad which generates electrical noise.

Can you post a datalog of a starting attempt ?
I can try to hook a car battery with thick leads to the bike. Bikes battery is not the best anymore.
It probably is not starter noise, I powered speeduino from another battery that was fully charged too. Not sure if the noise from bad starter could go to the speeduino from some other way.. maybe? I am not sure.

I can post datalog, and i have tooth logger too now.

But if I try to start it with all the plugs in, there wont be much of a log because engine dont get rpm information. Tooth logger wouldnt show anything.
So would it be better to log start attempt with no plugs, or 1 plug ? With 1 plug its able to get rpm somehow. And with no plugs it doesnt have sync loss really.
Data log wil provide information even if the engine is not running it stil is logging its sensors.
Tooth log is needed to see if you get nice pulses from your toothed crank wheel, as long as you crank the engine it also will provide information.
To get used to it make some logs whit plugs out, data and tooth log.
And make some whit plugs in and see the difference especially battery voltage at the data log.
And make sure battery is fully charged, or hook up a car battery, also a logging case to see the difference :)
By jp_prat
Thanks for the help!

I have now some logs when cranking engine over with plugs in. I have to put the log to link, because there was some problem uploading it. https://gofile.io/d/BetraZ

I also attached image of my speeduino, if you want to check it out for some obvious problems.
Attachments
(6.54 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
IMG_20200901_185153.jpg
IMG_20200901_185153.jpg (4.11 MiB) Viewed 5953 times
By jp_prat
jonbill wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 5:33 pm It looks like some of those teeth opposite the missing tooth are going slow, perhaps > 1.5x duration of the other teeth.
https://wiki.speeduino.com/en/decoders/Missing_Tooth says if there's > 1.5x the duration of previous 2 teeth, the decoder will assume it just saw the missing tooth.
Hmm, That would explain it not getting sync. How ever engine is cranking over very happily with car battery connected. Are those opposite teeth going slow because engine slows down with compression cycle?

This engine has lowered compression ratio 11.2 --> 8.6 and that should already help with cranking.

Do you have any ideas for trying to get it working?
By LAV1000
Did look at your tooth log.
Since you have 12-1 wheel I suspect to see 11 lower pulses and 1 longer.
Bud it looks like you have twice the amount of teeth, 21 lower pulses and the 22th longer :?
Otherwise tooth log looks good.

How did you set filter setting on crankwheel sensor.
Lower compression shouldn't be a problem.

22-1 problem,
Could be 2 reasons I can think of.
1 like Johnbill mentioned, space between tooth to big
You need to get the tooth no tooth space even at the circumference, except the missing one of course.
2 Tooth are squared of at the top.
So it could be it only sees the corners of the teeth and not the straight spot in between.
Would be better to have tooth whit a radius according to the circumference.

When making a new toothed wheel get the missing tooth about 90 dgr. BTDC, that is missing tooth not sensor.
By jonbill
I only count 12 teeth in the log, but maybe I don't know how to read tooth logs well :)
Yes, I think the slow teeth are when the engine is on compression strokes.
the other log also shows the battery dipping to 11v while cranking, so I'd still be keen to try cranking it on a battery attached to a running engine and lets see how it does with 14v.
By LAV1000
Tuner studio counts 22 teeth, see picture.
But it counts the previous missing tooth also.

Is there also a data log ?
I did only see tooth log.
11Vdc at starting is a good value, around 9.0Vdc it gets critical.
Attachments
22T.png
22T.png (58.39 KiB) Viewed 5902 times

I uploaded logs and last tune and dyno plots look[…]

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?