Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Kinetic Research
engine mount plates fitted, need to weld on the support tubes next. Finally machined the exhaust manifolds and test fitted them. Hell of a hairpin bend for the first cylinder.
Attachments
exhaust test fit.jpg
exhaust test fit.jpg (207.59 KiB) Viewed 2898 times
By PSIG
Yeah, tight 90s are tough on flow. Some trivia you might appreciate; the Honda "elbow" is actually quite efficient, and why they used that design. Often called the "heart" bend, notice the internal path (with sensor installed) is a compound heart-shape, with the bottom of the heart towards exit. The shape induces the entry flow to 90° right and left paths, joining at the bottom exit. This design had a lot of research put into it, and IIRC was first used in the Bentley turbo elbows, which were crammed right against the firewall. Others used it later for tight turns, such as Honda and the Maserati Bi-Turbo, for examples.
By Kinetic Research
I do appreciate that info, I wasn't aware of the other applications, thanks. I need to get the flow going sideways at the port level so based my model on an exhaust manifold from a merlin engine from a spitfire. I figure the siamesed headifold acts like an exhaust plenum of sorts and the complex pressure waves and flows will eventually make their way out the pipe. Would like to baseline against stock but no engine dynos near me, so "suck it and see" is the current approach.
By PSIG
One of those choices between poor and … poor. :roll: Do whatever gets the job done for you and move-on. I can't ignore the simple beauty of your "Merlin" cast elbows. :mrgreen: Nice work.
By Kinetic Research
Big thanks Dzener for your advice, I checked the lower voltage thresholds for both hall effect sensors with the 1K0 resistor and it functions as OEM.

cmp signal.jpg
cmp signal.jpg (176.32 KiB) Viewed 2542 times
The camshaft sensor will operate down to 3.6V and the crankshaft signal will operate down to 2.3V, below these values the signal output will match the driving voltage. So running both at 5V is no issue, cool. With the test setup below I was finally able to manually measure the pulse train. It could be better done with a logic analyzer if you have one but as a cheap alternative method for hall effect sensors it is still valid.
cmp ckp pulse train.jpg
cmp ckp pulse train.jpg (462.6 KiB) Viewed 2542 times

CMP signal is 0 - 360 middle ring, 360-720 outer ring

CKP pulse is inner ring, missing tooth to TDC #1/#5 region only was recorded - all other positions not of interest as it is a 60-2 design.

It will be a long time before I will be able to test synchronizing the 2 engines when the clutches are disengaged, intention is to take the primary signal from Dr Jekyll (primary engine #1) and retard or advance Mr Hyde (engine #2). As PSIG pointed out clutches can walk, however these will start off as OEM output engines, i.e around 344nm each.

The algorithm recommended this video of 2 big blocks on dyno (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKVfl5CfL3U)
By Kinetic Research
Went down a complete wormhole with this phase of the project, took a lot longer because the learning curve was steep. Finally have a rear panel (weighs 4kgs raw) from the tooling so can now move onto the Speedy setup on the test engine.
Attachments
rear panel.jpg
rear panel.jpg (251.34 KiB) Viewed 1874 times
By Kinetic Research
I think PSIG is right, been down another wormhole making the interior plug. Really need to get the test engine up and running in 2023!

Happy new year all.
Attachments
1st primer coat.jpg
1st primer coat.jpg (216.59 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
By Kinetic Research
Not much of 2023 left, better get the test engine up and running soon.

To that end have been refining the plenum chamber design and measured the volume of the standard J35 plenum and upper runners, which is 6.5 litres - more than I expected but worked for Honda. What would life be without duct tape...
plenum and runner volume.jpg
plenum and runner volume.jpg (412.49 KiB) Viewed 444 times
Fabricated aluminium runners and bellmouths bonded to a carbon fibre box - after all there has to be some bling visible through the engine covers.
plenum.jpg
plenum.jpg (108.54 KiB) Viewed 442 times

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?