Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By HunterS628
Hey everyone! It’s been quite a while since I’ve been active in here and I can see a lot has changed. My last project was my 1971 VW that I did a full sequential EFI conversion on, and it is still running strong and has some minor updating along the way. It is time for me to open a new can of worms! I recently bought a 1973 F250 camper special for my girlfriend, it was her dream truck, as a fixer upper/ mild resto project. When I bought the truck it had a 390 v8 with bad head gaskets, bad starter, and a chewed up flex plate, no big deal right? I went about repairing all those minor issues and went to start the truck for the first time yesterday, it fired up instantly and idled perfect. While I was adjusting the timing the motor started shaking a little, I figured it was because it didn’t like the timing I gave it, but the motor came to a screeching stop and it seized. So instead of rebuilding this gas hog I think I’m gonna get a 300-6 out of a 80s truck that is already fuel injected and convert it to run speedy. Only issue I’m seeing here is the truck has dual tanks and I would prefer not to lose that feature. With this post I am looking for input on how feasible this would be. I know getting the engine and new tranny in the truck will be no issue. I’m just concerned about the software side for a straight 6 and if I can keep the dual tanks. When I was working on my VW I know there were not many straight 6s running speedy so that’s why I’m inquiring.
Thanks for all the info
Hunter
By HunterS628
jonbill wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:22 pm I'm running Speedy on a nissan L28 straight 6 very happily.
What would be the problem with dual tanks?
I was looking into doing a 5.3 ls swap in my 82 Chevy Silverado and everything I was reading said you can’t run dual tanks because they have no revision for a return. This means you would have all the fuel returning to one tank, which may not be the one your drawing from. So you would constantly have to switch tanks. Not sure if there is a way around this or not as I just decided to diesel swap the Chevy.
Thanks
Hunter
By Chipboy
Not impossible, the Toyota 80 series diesel landcruiser we get in other parts of the world has two tanks with solenoids to manage which tank it draws from and which it returns to, You could replicate this with a switch controlling them in the cabin.
By Experion
are both fuel tanks at the same height?, if so maybe you could just put a fuel line in between them thats connected at the bottom of the fuel tanks, I would think that would always equalise the fuel levels between them.
By HunterS628
Experion wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 pm are both fuel tanks at the same height?, if so maybe you could just put a fuel line in between them thats connected at the bottom of the fuel tanks, I would think that would always equalise the fuel levels between them.
I was thinking about this but they are not. The rear tank is tucked up above the spare tire and the front tank hangs down much lower. I guess that could still work if I just set it up to pull from the front tank but I would be worried about it overflowing out of the filler neck.
Thanks
Hunter
By HunterS628
Chipboy wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 8:56 pm Not impossible, the Toyota 80 series diesel landcruiser we get in other parts of the world has two tanks with solenoids to manage which tank it draws from and which it returns to, You could replicate this with a switch controlling them in the cabin.
This is not a bad idea, would just be a lot of wiring. Right now the truck has a factory mechanical fuel tank selector. I could get rid of that and add a switch in the dash to select tanks and returns with solenoids. I will have to look into this more.
Thanks
Hunter
By Chipboy
I have one of these 80 series and it works well, the wiring is not that hard but individual senders and low fuel lights makes it more trouble, individual gauges in my landcruiser. Its reliable and simple solendoids. Could get some from a wreck?
By Experion
HunterS628 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:14 am
Experion wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:20 pm are both fuel tanks at the same height?, if so maybe you could just put a fuel line in between them thats connected at the bottom of the fuel tanks, I would think that would always equalise the fuel levels between them.
I was thinking about this but they are not. The rear tank is tucked up above the spare tire and the front tank hangs down much lower. I guess that could still work if I just set it up to pull from the front tank but I would be worried about it overflowing out of the filler neck.
Thanks
Hunter
if the filler neck from the bottom tank is higher than the fuel level in the top tank it should not leak right?
By HunterS628
Experion wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am
HunterS628 wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:14 am
Thanks
Hunter
if the filler neck from the bottom tank is higher than the fuel level in the top tank it should not leak right?
Ohhh boy I should really think this stuff through more! You are 100% right. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that. I’m going to look more into the solenoid option since I would like to have 2 independent tanks but if I can’t figure that out I will definitely just tie the tanks together.
Thanks
Hunter

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?