Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By linkus
I thought it was time to post some (READ ALOT OF THEM this is from a different forum so you are getting all at once! YAY! :D ) pictures of my project. A couple of years ago i bought a Clio 16v, a really funny little car! Especially if you go from a tired old Volvo 855 estate with 140hk and ish 90 of them left...

The same year i bought it i went to Gotland Ring, a racetrack on Gotland Sweden, that was when it started... hmm some bigger brakes, some holyshit cams... yeah you get the picture. I managed to get a hold of a Williams engine, with ITB's, cam's and some other nice accessories.

Here you have to ol bugger!

A stop home from Gotland 2014, real cosy picture if you ask me!

Here you have the engine, it has been running in a race Laguna here in Sweden.

Some variable camgears and a nice view of the ITB's

Unfortunetly I didn't get the oilcooler with the engine, so i have to buy a new one!

This was the reason i got the engine that cheap, the left valve is kiiiinda sad, the funny thing is that the previous owner did compresiontest on it and to be that bent, it actually had relativly good comp.

I can with confidet say that it was a real challenge to build the head, i have never built a engine before (i got the head compleatly dissasebled), after some phonecalls and alot of googling i managed to get it togeather!

Kinda funny, the cam's, it's two exhaustscams and one of them is reshaped(?).

Well when i bought it i had this ancient Haltech E6 ecu, the ignition is picked up from this freeloating wheel, kinda strange to have something so important on a freefloating wheel.

All out, will change to 1,8 rods instead of these toothpicks that is in the 2,0.

These are getting some ARP-bolts!

Everything is out, and the rods should arrive in a couple of days! Then i just need headgasket, pistonrings, and bearings, then throw it all together again!

But to actually fit the engine in the enginebay with ITB's i need to have a lower radiator, so i bought a rad from a Volkswagen that should fit.

I have even trown in a Walbro 255 fuelpump because the old one took its life, and its a pure hell to swap this, there are two way... empty the tank take it down so you don't get petrol in you WHOLE garage... or you cut up the floor under the backseat. Guess what i did...

To actually do that repair arount 23-00 at night the day before we were headed to Gotland wasn't a good idea, i got ish 160km then i started to smell ALOT of petrol in the cabin... bloddy hoseclamp got loose. I thought i was feeling a bit dissy :D

And as you know when you increase horepower you need better brakes, these are from a Peugeoy 406 v6, the good thing is that you only need two washers to space it out so it lines up with the rotor! Then ofc some braided lines for that.

Last edited by linkus on Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:12 am, edited 5 times in total.
By linkus
"New" rods picked up, some surfacerust on them but nothing a wirebrush can solve.

Out with the old and in with the old!

When i realized that ARP-bolts wasnt torx... crap i never going to find the right socket... 30min's later i was back in the garage and tourqed it to spec, thank god for Swedol (tool supplier)

Today me and a friend fixed a new piston!

This is how it looked like before, the one to the left got a knick of the sad valve and the one to the right is a original piston

Here we have the "small" materialremover!

We started to remove some material on the edge

First cut!

The other cuts

All 4 cuts!

And here we have it all!

I can with confident say that this piston was alot better than the older piston.

I also weight the pistons towards eachother and it didn't diff like anything. I call this a sucsess

New piston in place!

By linkus
After a quick garageswap i was starting to get some flow again!

New garage, and as can see i got a black shell, i have not decided if its going to be a donor or just strait up replace the blue one.

Took out the driverseat because the frame was bent and didnt lock down properly, will swap the fabric between them

Athena MLS-Headgasket

Went on a trip to the old garage, and found a lockring(?) to one of the pistonbolts (i have no clue whats it called in english), it was not fun to have to tear down the bottom end to check if a missed it.

On with the pan again!

Head placed

Meassure the valves (it dosent hit anything atleast haha)

New belt, tentioner, waterpump and on with the strange sensor for the Haltech

By linkus
ECU

I choose to actually swap my ancient Haltech to something a bit more modern. And me as a geek fell in love with the Speeduino! A verry competent ECU with a amazing community!

Here you can see me running the speedy with a simulator, to actually check if it behaves as it should (Ardustim), the 3 pot's is for RPM IAT and Coolanttemp.

I planed to convert the engine from a regular dizzy setup to run on COP's (coil on plug), and in the future have it running fully sequential with spark and fuel, but after a couple of hours of not getting spark at all from it and alot of tinkering and help from the speedy community, we found the issue. There where to large resistors installed on the signal line to the COP's so swpaed them out and now everything is fine and dandy!

The same time i bought the speedy i bought a Wideband so i can run autotune which is pretty nifty!

New probes where bought because of the issue above.

Here you can see me checking that the speedy actually gives the right signal to the COP

The speedy is going to be installed in this box, so i can keep the original engineloom

Managed to find some COP's that actually fit the engine, its from a Honda K20 engine! Really nice, three wires. 12v, earth and signal!

Transmission

To be compatible with the speeduino i needed a flywheel with a 60-2 pattern, so a lightened clio 172 wheel would fit nicely! from 5kg down to 2,9kg! And it fits the clutch i already have!

Talking about cluth, i really need some new pads for this one...

Enginestuffs

Time to install the ITB's, and tbh a engine with ITB's is like really sexy!

Injectors then? These are from a Volvo 940 turbo, I have no clue if they are good or bad, but they worked before, so they should work now!

And unfortunetly another renault friend managed to damage his oilpan, so i had to give up mine and fix his. Cracked in the bottom and the drainplug totally fooked... But now thats fixed!

To actually fit the ITB's i had to cut som of the MLS-gasket that poked out of the head, and holy crap that gasket is HARD

Here you can see the marvelous job of the previous owner, a fuelrail that looks like crap! but hopefully wont leak :p

Rust

Now for the boring part... RUST, this is the first time im actually doing something like this, both cutting, welding and bending sheetmetal, so if you have any pointers please im all ears!

Up with the car on jackstand!

Cut away the sill

Grind away as much as possible

Weld new metal

Build some new floor

Make a new part, just this one took me over an hour to get right... but to be honest i pretty happy with the result!

Now i just need some bodyfiller, grinding, primer, paint and so on xD
By linkus
Some progress on the sills

Primed The inner cut away the excess and fabricobbled a new outerpart of the sill. Pretty happy with it tbh!

As before if you have any pointers plz share them with me im still learning this stuff!
By linkus
Its allways mor rust than you think it is, had to cut some more in the rear panel.

On with some primer!

I managed to score some adorable 4-pot wilwood brakes! Just need one new piston and a gasketkit! :D

I had to meassure up some of the cams for future plans!

1-2: Org clio 1,8 16v 3-4: Kentcams aftermarket 5-6: Clio Williams

I got a 3D-printer not so long ago, and since these bloddy clips is impossible to get a hold of new, im trying to make my own! Still not happy with the fitment and such but soon!

Some rustrepair of the wheelhouse.

And some bondo to hide my ugly ass welds and make it somewhat decent.

I want to run full sequential ign and fuel on my speeduino later on so i mocked up a camsensorholder, this fits where the distributor sits on a clio 16v and hopefully i can read of the shaft where the rotor sits! Now i just have tested with a clio 172 abs-sensor and yeah i get some kind of signal! Next up im gonna buy a honeywell (hall) sensor to place there.

By CD..
Thats a meaty thread, it will be nice to follow this build, and the start up of the speeduino.

Kul med svenska projekt här, det ser man inte varje dag direkt :)
By linkus
CD.. wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:08 am Thats a meaty thread, it will be nice to follow this build, and the start up of the speeduino.

Kul med svenska projekt här, det ser man inte varje dag direkt :)
Hehe, yeah i thought it was a good idea to share with you guys here aswell not only on my renault forums hehe. Yeah im looking forward to starting that bloddy engine so bad!

Kul med ett till svenskt ansikte! :D
By PSIG
Cool thread and I love lots of photos. 8-) One suggestion though, my data bill just skyrocketed :lol:, so if you could scale the image sizes down would be great and the thread would load much faster also. Maybe 800x600 or smaller? Thanks!

David

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?