Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By toddTR6
Hi David,
PSIG wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pm Gah. Well, better to find it now than later with twice the damage and expense!

Yeah, I had been toying with the idea of changing the cam anyhow, now I don't have to find an excuse to justify it! :)
PSIG wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pmRegrinders usually have a large set of lobe profiles they can apply to most cams. You may want to do some quick research with other TR6 owners for a suitable replacement that you can compare to whatever the regrinder suggests; just to see if it's in the same ballpark as what you're expecting. SD-EFI can handle any cam profile with tuning, so don't let that slow you down like it does some other EFI systems such as OEM MAF. You don't need a special EFI grind.

There is some info on quite a few different grids available for my car at http://www.hottr6.com/triumph/tr6cams.html. I am going to use my car as a daily driver, and a lot of my driving will be in city. So I'm looking for something with good low to mid range torque. The stock grind is quite "torquey" in the low to mid range. However I'd like to get a little more power out of it, maybe 20 hp or so without loosing the torque. I will have a chat with the cam grinder to see what they suggest. I have a feeling that they do a lot of cams for TR6 as there is a picture on one on their web page.
PSIG wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pmThat is normal. Like having two people talking to you in each ear, you don't want two serials talking to Speeduino on the same line at the same time. So, either use Bluetooth, or unplug that and use USB cable, but not both.

This is one of the first things that I checked. I unplugged the bluetooth module from the Mega, but that didn't have any effect. I also tried different cables etc. but no luck there either. I used to work in electronics so and I usually find that the simplest problems like a faulty usb cable for example, are the first things you should check.
PSIG wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:43 pm:?: Single LS2 coil with six pins?

It's a 3 coil pack. There was a thread elsewhere in this forum about using it, but I can't find it at the moment. The acdelco part number is D559A. I picked it because it was cheaper than getting 3 individual coils, and easier to mount.

Thanks for your advice.
By toddTR6
Wow 3 years since my last post in this thread. :o

Well I did say that my progress would be glacial slow.

Any how since last posted I have rebuilt the engine and minus adding a couple of parts it's ready to back on the frame. I haven't done much since last summer as I had some health issue I had to deal with.

I have been doing some thinking and I don't think that converting my carbs to efi is a good idea. The reason is that I am going to have an electric fan and AC. Thus I need to have fast idle and the carbs only have a mechanical setting for fast idle, which sould have to me manually operated. Also since the carbs were working well when I removed them I don't want to cut them up or modify them in any way. I have also rejected the idea of bike (or snowmotbile) ITB's as I don't think there is a easy way to mount them other than with having to do some fancy fab work.

So the options I'm giving serious consideration to are:

Using GM TBI - The downside of this it that the injectors are of old design and don't give as good atomization as modern ones do. Also they are getting rare so hard to get replacement for if they fail.

Genvey ITB X 2 (45mm size i think) - This is the $$$ option, other than the money it's using larger size injectors that might be difficult to find. I need to ask them how to set up a idle bypass valve as there's no info on their site about it. https://store.jenvey.co.uk/throttle-bod ... 4-1-inj-xx

Modifying my intake manifold by adding injector bungs and doing for port injection. I can fab up an air box, and then use a common throttle body. This is probably more work than GM TBI bu the upside to this is that it should be easy go get some appropriate sized injectors and throttle body. The injectors will be modern and cheap. With that in mind,, here is a photo of my intake manifold:

My question is, is it suitable for using for port injection, by adding in bungs for injectors?
My intended use for the car is to be a daily driver.

Also what is a good source of cheap bungs? So far I've only seen places selling them for $20 USD per bung, which seems to me to be a bit much.

Cheers
By JHolland
What about a couple of motorcycle throttle bodies, something like BMW R series. What spacing are the manifold intakes?
By toddTR6
JHolland wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:53 pm What about a couple of motorcycle throttle bodies, something like BMW R series. What spacing are the manifold intakes?
I was looking into snowmobile and bike bodies but none of the ones I've seen have a mounting flange. They all look like this:

Unfortunately I don't see a way to mount them to the manifold I have. Otherwise they would be just what I'm looking for.
By PSIG
TBI with only 2 injectors can be done, but you may have some additional challenges. The primary issue here is fuel distribution. With carburetors, the fuel flow is constant, and each cylinder pulls the air and fuel it needs though its intake cycle. No problem. Some older injection system are constant-flow, so again no problem. With injection like we have, the air flow is constant but the fuel flows in pulses, and without consideration for the wet-flow in the manifold, may/will have a tendency for one cylinder to pull more of the single fuel pulse (rich) than the others (lean).

Based on your injector location for the specific cylinders it feeds and their intake timing, some engines are easy to add additional evenly-timed squirts-per-cycle, while others have intake timing offset to the injector's rhythmic pulse. You also have the challenge of sizing the injector to pass enough fuel for each cylinder in 1/3 the time. No problem, it just needs consideration. I would do some quick analysis of your setup before assuming too much and hitting unexpected hurdles.

Don't hear me wrong - TBI will work, but may need some unexpected help in your case to work really well. For example, most TBI setups purposely inject from above the throttle onto the throttle plate in order to force the fuel to vaporize and enter across the entire cycle and more evenly to all cylinders. The ITB you pictured is different, in that it is effectively port injection with fuel under the throttle plate, so all of the fuel enters the intake at once. I'm sure you can imagine the difference in fuel distribution.

I don't intend to steer you away from TBI, and I love TBI for many unique advantages it has over port-injection. However, you can see why I would probably (in this case), drill the manifold for port location and epoxy injector bungs in there. It would take an afternoon with the benefit of skipping the mental gymnastics, and straightforward setup and tuning. With the long runners, non-sequential would work great. Or, add more injectors in your TBI. But, it's your project and your call, and I'm just pointing stuff out to hopefully reduce potential challenges. Do your thing!

David
By toddTR6
PSIG wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:37 pm I don't intend to steer you away from TBI, and I love TBI for many unique advantages it has over port-injection. However, you can see why I would probably (in this case), drill the manifold for port location and epoxy injector bungs in there. It would take an afternoon with the benefit of skipping the mental gymnastics, and straightforward setup and tuning. With the long runners, non-sequential would work great. Or, add more injectors in your TBI. But, it's your project and your call, and I'm just pointing stuff out to hopefully reduce potential challenges. Do your thing!

David
Hi David,

Actually I've been giving port injection a lot of thought and leaning away from TBI.

You are giving me additional reasons to think more about port injection. My main reason for looking at TBI was less work involved but the more I look at it, it seems that it has other disadvantages that will outweigh the amount of effort. Parts availability is one big factor. Also it's starting to look more difficult from a fabrication and technical point of view.

As for port injection, I'm pretty certain I can add the injector bungs to the above manifold and fab up a fuel rail. I have access to a drill press at work, and I can put together a jig to keep the manifold steady while I drill it. I think the difficult part will be how to mount the fuel rail and keep it in position. I have seen info on aluminum brazing (which I didn't know existed till recently) https://hackaday.com/2016/11/04/brazing-aluminum/ and I am considering brazing some aluminum rods or plates to the manifold for the purpose of securing the rail. I'm not sure if brazing will be strong enough though. More research is needed.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?