Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Luis_Armstrong
Hi,

Currently I'm using a PWM valve in closed loop, it works fine however I've noticed that when the valve is hotter after seems like it has different position. When engine has it's normal operating temperature runs at higher RPMs that when running 20 or 30 min more.
I'm going to replace my current throttle body for a bigger one that is also ready for a stepper valve, but I'm not sure if I should keep my current 2 wire PWM valve or use the stepper valve. My board is ready for stepper valve.
Let me know your thoughts
By PSIG
Always try to include your tune and a log of the issue. ;) The single most common issue we see in this area is the tune not quite ready to handle IAC in closed-loop, but you may have a different issue. Without your tune I can't see - are you using the IAC valve for fine idle control, or only general rpm with Idle Timing Control doing the load compensations?

I would first verify with logs - what changes when the idle changes. This is to make sure that it isn't something else (temperature, timing, fuel, corrections, compensations, etc) pushing the idle around that IAC settings are fighting. This may help to determine if the majority of the issue is the IAC valve, IAC settings, or something else.

While this may not be the ultimate answer, it may help to stabilize the idle better before the IAC settings have to compensate, and you know generally what to expect with the current valve to check results. Hope that helps.
By Luis_Armstrong
Hi,

I'm attaching two log files, in the first one Idle always was above target, in the second one at the begining the idle was still above target, but a few minutes later idle was close to idle target. I realize the main difference between two conditions was MAT.
I'm wondering why during the first minutes idle is above target, and IAC PWM was 59 and not a lower value even when minimum valve duty is 45%.

Let me know your comments.
Attachments
Idle_2.JPG
Idle_2.JPG (107.74 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
Idle_1.JPG
Idle_1.JPG (116.7 KiB) Viewed 1125 times
(543.9 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
By PSIG
I have to run and can't look-over your tune and settings right now, but did see a couple things that are odd for checking. Your voltage jumps around ±1.5V randomly, and your coolant is continually and quickly swinging right around one of your idle control points by well over 10°, each affecting controls. Stability isn't too bad, but the engine is drifting around with lots of rpm/s change (less than "solid").

Did you find PWM using Open-Loop first? When in Open Loop, did you set good values at your warm target idle speed (870?)? Effectively, I approach idle with no automated help, gaining a stable and solid idle at the target speed and temperature with good fuel and timing. Now that I don't need idle control, I add it. ;)

Oh, and Idle Advance is on but non-functional. Turn it off to reduce the stuff running while you work on this. I'll look more later.
By Luis_Armstrong
Tomorrow I'm going to check the cause for the voltage variability, the temperature readings should be caused by the values at higher temperatures I supposed I need to improve the coolant temp calibration. Few weeks ago I configured in open loop and remember have a similar issue after several minutes running but I'm going to log some data and double check the behavior to isolate if the IAC by itself could be causing any issue.
By LPG2CV
Hi

A bit of housekeeping first :)

Tuning idle is usually the first thing that's done when tuning. For this, you turn off all the the Whistles and Bells. As @psig suggests, you even turn off idle control.

So, housekeeping :)

Straighten out the wue slope.

You are using pin 4 for FP, This is fine (and not uncommon), but set VVT to pin 45. In effect swapping them. It's not good practice to have 2 features on the same pin, even if you are not using one of them.

Remove the conditions from the secondary tables until you are ready to use them (pin 51).

As you may see from this extract from the code, pin 51 is the Launch Control/Flat Shift pin. :)

You could have a poor connection on CLT, as when TPS increases, so on occasion, does CLT. The CLT ciircuit is about resistance and voltage dividers, so adding intermitant resistance here will give odd results.

Default pin out for your perusal and adding features.
Enjoy :)

case 3:
//Pin mappings as per the v0.4 shield
pinInjector1 = 8; //Output pin injector 1 is on
pinInjector2 = 9; //Output pin injector 2 is on
pinInjector3 = 10; //Output pin injector 3 is on
pinInjector4 = 11; //Output pin injector 4 is on
pinInjector5 = 12; //Output pin injector 5 is on
pinInjector6 = 50; //CAUTION: Uses the same as Coil 4 below.
pinCoil1 = 40; //Pin for coil 1
pinCoil2 = 38; //Pin for coil 2
pinCoil3 = 52; //Pin for coil 3
pinCoil4 = 50; //Pin for coil 4
pinCoil5 = 34; //Pin for coil 5 PLACEHOLDER value for now
pinTrigger = 19; //The CAS pin
pinTrigger2 = 18; //The Cam Sensor pin
pinTrigger3 = 3; //The Cam sensor 2 pin
pinTPS = A2;//TPS input pin
pinMAP = A3; //MAP sensor pin
pinIAT = A0; //IAT sensor pin
pinCLT = A1; //CLS sensor pin
pinO2 = A8; //O2 Sensor pin
pinBat = A4; //Battery reference voltage pin
pinDisplayReset = 48; // OLED reset pin
pinTachOut = 49; //Tacho output pin (Goes to ULN2803)
pinIdle1 = 5; //Single wire idle control
pinIdle2 = 6; //2 wire idle control
pinBoost = 7; //Boost control
pinVVT_1 = 4; //Default VVT output
pinVVT_2 = 48; //Default VVT2 output
pinFuelPump = 45; //Fuel pump output (Goes to ULN2803)
pinStepperDir = 16; //Direction pin for DRV8825 driver
pinStepperStep = 17; //Step pin for DRV8825 driver
pinStepperEnable = 24; //Enable pin for DRV8825
pinFan = 47; //Pin for the fan output (Goes to ULN2803)
pinLaunch = 51; //Can be overwritten below
pinFlex = 2; // Flex sensor (Must be external interrupt enabled)
pinResetControl = 43; //Reset control output
pinBaro = A5;
pinVSS = 20;
pinWMIEmpty = 46;
pinWMIIndicator = 44;
pinWMIEnabled = 42;
By Luis_Armstrong
Hi,

I did some installation improvements, I installed a relay to reduce voltage variations. At the same time I was working to control a fan for oil cooler and there I see the same behavior in raw counts for oil temperature sensor. Similar to coolant temperature sensor observed in the previous logging files. I've identified that IAC valve is causing most of this variation.

I'm attaching two logging files, in the "test 1 " file I started logging first 5 seconds without the IAC connected and small changes in CLT and Oil Temperature were observed, just the expected. After that I connected IAC valve ant there variations are noticeable. I repeated the same test using other IAC valve but I got similar results.

Then I remove the speeduino to do a bench test and identify if wiring was the cause, this time I connect only Oil temperature sensor and IAC valve, same changes were observed once IAC valve was plugged.

Please let me know your toughts.
By Luis_Armstrong
Hi,

Do you consider this noisy signals for CLT or oil temp. can be caused by poor grounding in coils or by injectors? Do you have recommendations for power suply ECM, injectors and IAC or only special attention for ground.

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?