Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By alessandromeyer
Hey there

First and foremost, Thank you very very much for speeduino. I was baffled by how advanced it is vs MS3 and at the same time OpenSource! Very cool :D

Now, to my project/plans: I want to convert an Alfa Romeo GTV 2000 from mech Bosch dizzie and dual sidedraft carbs to EFI (4cyl engine). I want to do that using:
Speeduino v3 board because I will have no wiring loom anyway
Suzuki GSXR ITBs
A 60-2 teeth triggerwheel from the later Motronic based engine
Spartan2 Lambda Sensor
Configure for MAP Sensor until Speeduino is capable of and ITB-Mode so I can use TPS additionally.
And there already ends what I know.

So now to my questions
Ignitionwise: What would be a good fit for simple wiring and have as few components and complexity as possible? I plan not to use COPs because they don't fit the look of the engine see here
VR-Sensor: same as with the Ignition: what would be simple and not needing a conditioner onboard?
Do Watertemp Sensors help calibration?
The Spartan Guys say it works perfectly with MS can I assume the same for speeduino now that we are using TunerStudio as well? Any other recommendations?
Injector shall be High Impedance so they can be controlled directly from the board, right?

Is there something I missed?

Again thank you guys a lot!

Cheers,
Alessandro
Last edited by alessandromeyer on Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dazq
Hi and welcome to the project !
The Spartan 2 will be fine connected via the 0-5v wb analog output.
Any vr sensor we have encountered so far will need some conditioning, so if you dont want that then you will need to use a hall effect sensor instead, just ensure if being fed directly into the speeduino it outputs 5v max signals not the 12v some do.
For appearance for sparks, either keep the dizzy , but better to hideaway a multi output coil or 4 remote coil packs then you coyld run wasted or even sequential spark.
Thanks a lot for your answer.

Do you have any pointers for me from people who converted a non Hall-E-Sensor Driven Engine to Hall Sensor? I have a hard time finding a concrete example, even though i'd prefer it as the less fragile solution.

Ignition-wise: I'm fine loosing the dizzy i just don't want to mess up the more obvious parts of the engine, because the MOT in switzerland doesn't like changes to engines without a lot of (paid) papers, if you know what I mean ;)
So, i'd be very happy if someone here could post a working setup for a 4 pot engine. I've been looking at EDIS Setups, but those seem to be too complex as I don't want the Ignition driver to read the VR and so on. Is there something like a CoilDriver & Coil combined? I can live with sequential or wasted spark.

Cheers,
Alessandro
By PSIG
Adapting a Hall sensor from another engine is an option. For example, Nissan sensors are very inexpensive in the aftermarket, as Nissan made a lot of original bad ones, and they all had to be replaced. Over here (USA), many Chrysler and DSM cars have good Hall sensors and are common. Look in your area for sensors, and connectors. Another option is to use your original sensor as a housing (remove internals), and place a good Hall element (e.g., ATS617) into the housing. The trigger wheel and sensor are usually the most demanding part of an EFI conversion; but, if you cannot avoid it, take your time to find the best options for you, your time, budget, and skills.

David

Used for over 20 years now, the various Nissan sensors are cheap online (about $8US):
Nissan Hall Sensor.png
Nissan Hall Sensor.png (59.12 KiB) Viewed 7491 times
By dazq
for spark modules you could use two of these as seen here http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/Bosch_124.htm with a wasted spark coil like this http://www.motorsport-developments.co.u ... oil_fs.jpg
there is a dual version of that coil driver module (cant find the number off hand)

or if you had 4 seperate coils this setup as seen here http://www.microsquirt.info/Bosch_211.htm

speeduino can drive any of these coil modules direct
Hey there

Thanks a lot.

Concerning the Hall-Sensor, I read quite some infos online and yes some seem to be compatible with regular steel-trigger wheels some not. Could someone give me a hint whether the sensors like the nissan work with regular toothed wheels (60-2)? Or generally what to look for?

Concerning the ignition, two questions:
- Could I use something like BIP373 "onboard" which is broadly in use within the MegaSquirt Community? Just to reduce complexity. ;)
- Are there Smart-Coils that can be fired (or rather triggered) directly from the board without any further complexity? Or were central coils replaced by COPs right away in the 90ies?

Then some other question - on the wiki it says that Arduino Mega is the board to use - in the Video a Due is playing. Maybe this has been asked before (wasn't able to find it through the search) but what am I supposed to buy? :)

Thanks a lot for your insights!
Alessandro
By dazq
Re bip373 i have always found those external boards to be more expensive than the oem module as well as the oem being easier to source:-)
There are smart standalone coils , vw and audi have used them, have agoogle around about them there is a lot of general info with part numbers
alessandromeyer wrote:Hey there

Thanks a lot.

Concerning the Hall-Sensor, I read quite some infos online and yes some seem to be compatible with regular steel-trigger wheels some not. Could someone give me a hint whether the sensors like the nissan work with regular toothed wheels (60-2)? Or generally what to look for?
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/hal ... on-sensor/
More expensive as nissan sensor but tested at more than 19000 rpm with minimun thickness wheels of 2 mm, operating voltage: 4.75 to 24 volts...(see all specs on link.)
or
https://www.diyautotune.com/product/hal ... on-sensor/

Or if you have already VR sensor ? add VR conditioner is not the death... But It's at you to make your choice.
alessandromeyer wrote: Concerning the ignition, two questions:
- Could I use something like BIP373 "onboard" which is broadly in use within the MegaSquirt Community? Just to reduce complexity. ;)
- Are there Smart-Coils that can be fired (or rather triggered) directly from the board without any further complexity? Or were central coils replaced by COPs right away in the 90ies?
If you want keep the distributor for look or any others reason You can add one BIP373 or other IGBT equivalent "onboard" and run with your sandard ignition system.
alessandromeyer wrote: Then some other question - on the wiki it says that Arduino Mega is the board to use - in the Video a Due is playing. Maybe this has been asked before (wasn't able to find it through the search) but what am I supposed to buy? :)

Thanks a lot for your insights!
Alessandro
You are supposed to buy an Arduino Mega 2560 and you want to prefer the board with 16U2 chip rather than CH340 (If i dont mistake me Due is not an option, not working for Speeduino)
By PSIG
dazq wrote:Re bip373 i have always found those external boards to be more expensive than the oem module as well as the oem being easier to source:-)
+1. Super-reliable OEM stuff is so cheap now, that making your own is relatively expensive in both cost and time. Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Ford, Mazda, and many others have stand-alone coil drivers that are robust and weatherproof, and bolt right in near or on your coil. Same goes for "smart" coils, which are nothing more than the coil driver built into the coil assembly. No need to build from scratch or re-invent the wheel. ;) Grab something you know works, and plug it in.

The Due in the video was only being used as a soldering jig with the same footprint as the Mega. That is confusing. Use a Mega. There is a thread with the various USB/UART chip types listed, and they all work—16U2, CH340, FT232, CP2101, etc. Even the fake versions work, so any Mega or Mega clone will work with Speeduino. :D

David

If using single coils or coil packs; there are zillions of these single-channel drivers online for under $10US, such as the J121 shown, which uses standard Bosch connectors, 3mm spades, or solder directly to the pins. You only need one for distributor (single) coil. Many other styles are available for many car models:
The Bosch "211" is an example of a popular and inexpensive 4-channel coil driver, useful for 4-cylinder sequential ignition, or waste-spark up to 8 cylinders. Again, under $10US, Bosch connectors, weatherproof, ready to install and a reliable design:
Bosch211.png
Bosch211.png (50.59 KiB) Viewed 7423 times
Christmas is the best time to make some progress. 8-)

Ignitionwise:
I will go for either Bosch Module to run wasted spark, just like you guys proposed. I'm now trying to find a suitable and good coilpack - how do you guys approach something like that? I mean do you go by the whitepapers to determine dwell capacity and compatibility signal wise? The other things I'm struggling with (but seem to be the only one :? ) is for whatever device I attach to, where do i find suitable plugs? Rarely I do see them as part of a cut out device. Are those standardised and thus easily obtainable elsewhere?
I do wonder also because I'm still in determination phase between v0.3 vs 0.4 board...

Hallsensor:
Most Hall Sensors seem to be for the camshaft (Nissan one, presented earlier) rather than the crankshaft, how their principle/effect should work either way. I just wondered if they have something like a minimum toothsize? As far as I understand there is also two types of hall sensor, some that have the magnet integrated and work against steel tooth wheels and then there are those wo expect magnetic wheel. How would I determine that?

Again, my car doesn't have any sensors at all as it is (hopefully was) a purely mechanical one.

Thanks a lot!

nice first of all, i read all that crap months a[…]

I rewired a few grounds and tested the TPS and rel[…]

Thanks, car runs great now !!! Going to drift even[…]

sauver moteur v8

bonsoir je m appel jean marie et j habite en Franc[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?