Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By E4ODnut
Hi all,
I've got a v0.4 board that I'd like to get set up to run a VW dual port 1600 air cooled engine. I will be running waste spark and paired injectors alternating so I will only need 2 injector channels and 2 ignition channels. I am assuming that the injector drivers on the board will handle the injector loads, but I expect that external drivers will be required to drive the dumb 4 post coil pack. Primary resistance on the coils is 0.8 ohms. I originally planned to modify an old MS1 V2.2 board with the MSNS Extra firmware, but it has been declared obsolete and there is no longer any support for it. I already built a custom auxiliary (relay) board for it that includes a pair of ISL9V3040P3 IGBT coil drivers. Will this be compatible with the v0.4 board?
I also have a JB Perf dual VR conditioner board that I think will just plug into the IC3 sockets, but is there a single channel VR conditioner board available? I would prefer a through hole design that I can just populate myself as my eyes are too old and dim to deal with fine pitch SM components.
By PSIG
E4ODnut wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:25 pm… I already built a custom auxiliary (relay) board for it that includes a pair of ISL9V3040P3 IGBT coil drivers. Will this be compatible with the v0.4 board?
Good to see you, Robert! Yes.
E4ODnut wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:25 pmI also have a JB Perf dual VR conditioner board that I think will just plug into the IC3 sockets, but is there a single channel VR conditioner board available?
Yes and no. A plug-in module, not that I currently know-of. However, many ignition modules make great signal conditioners. Any of the VR-stype distributor modules from the 80s and up can typically be used to condition signals. I have tested the GM HEI and Bosch ICM modules to 24000 rpm for signal conditioning. Some consider this a hokey method, but it works, and it's just an option.

Most use an available module and simply don't use the second channel. A note here, that whatever you use, tie the second unused channel input either high or low, so it doesn't float and create false signals.

A couple 'scope shots of GM 4 and 7-pin modules benched at crazy rpm, being used as 1-ch signal conditioners:
GM_4-pin.jpg
GM_4-pin.jpg (57.92 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
GM_7-pin_SignalOut.jpg
GM_7-pin_SignalOut.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 1035 times
By E4ODnut
Thanks for the quick response. What other options are there for 2 channel conditioners, or just bare boards that will plug in?
Another question. What are people using for enclosures and connectors with the v0.4?
By PSIG
Check the Vendor's list for what they sell and is available in today's environment.

You can build countless discrete circuits to do the job. While a bit crude and only a wave-shaping scheme, even opto circuits "work" for most applications. Or, screw any factory module inside your case lid. :lol:

Do a search for V0.4 case end plates, 3D case prints, etc. It appears most use the suggested Hammond case, and mod the end plate for whatever panel-mount connector they choose to fit.
By E4ODnut
Got it. Thanks again.

Thanks for that. When you have better info, follo[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Don't forget, you can always fall-back to the &[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

*** HELP **** HELP *** HELP *** now it starts to […]

The basetunes were on so old version that they did[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?