Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By Kelvinator
Hello again all

It's been a while since my first Speeduino project, but I still have a spare 0.4 board here, and a cheap project car to play with.

It's powered by the Blacktop 4AGE 20V engine and currently completely stock. Is anyone running a speeduino on one of these? There seems to be very little info on this forum when I search.

Mainly want to know what the trigger wiring and settings are. I believe it's in the distributor, with a 24 tooth wheel and a cutout for a single "tooth" reading. If they are both VR sensors, can the official VR conditioner condition both triggers at the same time?

Cheers
Kelvin
By theonewithin
Toyota cam triggers can be quite noisy.

I think the recommendation is to only use 1 sensor and not the 2 and also use a Max based conditioner from memory.

Search the forum for other Toyota projects or see Dwight on Facebook.
By stum
Hi,

I run a toyota dizzy on my Camry V6. Be very similar to what you have. except mine had 2 VR pickups for "Cam Sensor".....

Since the Dizzy is mounted to the cam, the are all effectively cam sensors :lol:

When I set my Speeduino up I played with number of trigger patterns. Best I Found 4 years ago was 12-1 crank.

By taking the 24 tooth pickup and grinding off every 12th tooth(removing 2 teeth. One 180deg apart) And not using a cam input. But since it was a V6 I could not do sequential. So no loss for me.

Then use the missing tooth crank decoder 12-1. Runs sweet. I think other people have had success with other patterns since. Im not sure about the 4age 20v black top but most of the toyota dissy cam "TDC" triggers are not a clean pulse, but normally have a funky shape, adding to the excitement.

Im sure if you search Toyota trigger and Distributor or Dizzy you will find a number of people. I can think of at least 6+ over the last 3-4 years

All the best. sounds a fun project. I have a 4AGE 20V silver top in a AE101 Corolla race car needing a engine swap (spun big end). And it may get a Speeduino upgrade too at some stage
By vplehto
Hi,

Fairly new here but interesting topic so had to comment.

I have plan to build real high power 4AGE 20v for racing purposes. As speeduino is new for me I'm starting it with bit cheaper engine for now.

So currently have cheap Carina 2 with 4AFE which has bit of running issues atm. Planing to change that to Speeduino and trying to get it through MOT inspections in Finland. Probably looking at that point already to change it to E85 at the same time. Once that is done then playing around with that standard 4AFE to get maximum performance with minimum cost. Maybe even looking turbo for that.

I will try to do this within next few months and during that time purchasing 4AGE 20v (preferably black top). Building that will probably go further (like a year) so interested on this discussion already. Hope to hear more on this how it goes.
By stum
Hi vplehto,

If you look up my 3vz-fe it may help you with a few of my lurnings.

My Current Toyota is a NA camry V6. approx 10:1 compression ratio. Running a turbo, now at 15psi boost up to 4500rpm then tapering off to 7. Fuel pump limited currently.

All standard sensors except IAT, as I have removed the MAF (which has on built in)

It has a Flex Fuel sensor. And I have run it on E85. Unfortunately the only fuel company that sold E85 in New Zealand has stopped making it as they gave all their Ethonal to make Hand San for Covid. And not planning to start again :(

So now on 100 Octane Avgas.

I have about $1500 into my engine (inc turbo and Speeduino). Including a basic rebuild and is making about 300hp at the wheels. but comes on hard down low which is what I need in my application.

Enjoy
By vplehto
Hi stum, found your thread and went through some of it already, looks interesting and educational to avoid some coming issues.

On the 4a-fe my plan is to be dirty cheap just to have it educational and if I break something, I will not have to cry so much. Last registration ended on that 1992 carina 2 03/2021. Paid 150eur. If I get it E85 mot inspected within 11/2021 I will get 200eur back. :) They give some money back if you have it less polluting. I have E85 station like 10km from me (full country side in Finland where I live, so I'm pretty lucky). For this I will try not to spend much just hundreds. For the natural aspirated 4age 20v will go probably between 5keur to 10keur to be competitive. :o

I do not want to steal this thread so maybe will start my own for this 4afe when I get it going but will same time gather 4age 20v info where I can get it.
By Kelvinator
stum wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 7:24 am Hi,

I run a toyota dizzy on my Camry V6. Be very similar to what you have. except mine had 2 VR pickups for "Cam Sensor".....

Since the Dizzy is mounted to the cam, the are all effectively cam sensors :lol:

When I set my Speeduino up I played with number of trigger patterns. Best I Found 4 years ago was 12-1 crank.

By taking the 24 tooth pickup and grinding off every 12th tooth(removing 2 teeth. One 180deg apart) And not using a cam input. But since it was a V6 I could not do sequential. So no loss for me.

Then use the missing tooth crank decoder 12-1. Runs sweet. I think other people have had success with other patterns since. Im not sure about the 4age 20v black top but most of the toyota dissy cam "TDC" triggers are not a clean pulse, but normally have a funky shape, adding to the excitement.

Im sure if you search Toyota trigger and Distributor or Dizzy you will find a number of people. I can think of at least 6+ over the last 3-4 years

All the best. sounds a fun project. I have a 4AGE 20V silver top in a AE101 Corolla race car needing a engine swap (spun big end). And it may get a Speeduino upgrade too at some stage
Thanks for this advice, it does look like removing two teeth from the cam trigger is the way to go. I'll probably pick up a spare distributor soon and get cutting and see what happens. Wasted spark is fine, as is batch injection if sequential injection wont work. I'll be converting to coil on plug at the same time.
By theonewithin
You don't need to remove 2 teeth.

Just one is fine.

You can tell the Speeduino your input is running at cam speed and have the option of sequential if wanted.

I can only assume people think you can't because Megasquirt can't?

Not the same thing people.
By stum
Yes you can use the 24-1 cam speed.

But when I installed my speeduino using the toyota dizzy I had timing scatter on that pattern (10+ deg). And went to the 12-1 crank. Which is/was rock solid. That was 4 years ago.

Try the 24-1 first. make your own call :D
By theonewithin
Timing scatter likely completely unrelated to trigger pattern.

Toyota cam pickups are a bit notorious for being noisy...

Also 4 years ago is completely irrelevant lol.

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?