Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By Fatalan
Hi all. I have been watching a whole host of videos and trawling through wiki information and I am not sure if the Speeduino will be a good choice for me.

I am looking at using a Speeduino to run my 796 2011 Ducati Monster. The reason for this is that a) my clocks are broken (they contain the immobilizer gubbins) and b) I want to supercharge it.

The supercharging was the first thing that got me looking at speeduino. The clock water ingress/no start issue is secondary, but getting rid of the clocks and using race clocks instead would be a bonus.

My concern is around the L twin engine. I read that Speeduino is not really keen on 2 cylinders with odd firing. I also have seen questions raised on air cooled engines due to the temperature figures the ECU will use to adapt fueling/ignition etc.

I have seen the Virago running on here (there's videos and an overview) and I have seen that 2 cylinders work as the wiki states -

"1, 2 (Even fire only), 3 and 4 cylinder engines with full sequential fuel and ignition"

I believe I would require odd fire. Would 2 speeduinos (or just two separate systems on one board work) do this?

I have been following this project for a long time and have just never had a use for it. I would love to get involved but Im not sure a relatively stock, newish and already fuel injected bike is the way to start.

Thanks all and apologies if this is an already asked question but I have searched a lot - all unsuccessfully.
By theonewithin
The Wiki is wrong.

Odd fire was added well over a year ago and works fine.

I run a 90 degree twin without issues.

In regards to temp you just need cylinder temp to be fed into the ECU. Then just tune it. Not really any different to coolant based temp readings.

Your main point of difficulty will actually be toothed wheel and sensors..

What does your engine use?
By Fatalan
Thanks for taking the time to reply and for the clarification of the odd fire situation.

The Ducati is using a hall effect CPS that takes its positioning information from teeth on the layshaft gear. Im not sure if it takes two or one readings to identify positioning. I can find many, many specs for the CPS itself and that the layshaft has 20 teeth but I do not know how many readings the CPS feeds to the ECU that are of interest using on a rotation. Looking at the timing gears there is only one cut out on the teeth.
By LAV1000
I am working on a Ducati ST2 engine and using the NO2C board for it.
It runs on the test bench but I didn't put it to the engine/bike yet.
ST2 engine also has a CPS at the layshaft but it is a 48-2 type.
So 46 real tooth and a gap of 2.
Picture is not from my bike.
Attachments
CamWheel (2019_08_05 13_57_12 UTC).jpg
CamWheel (2019_08_05 13_57_12 UTC).jpg (1016.38 KiB) Viewed 4964 times
By Fatalan
Lav1000 - Thank you so much for this. I think mine runs pretty much the same as that but I was under the impression that my layshaft had 20 on it but now im not so sure. Im pretty confident that the one in the 796/696 is the same as yours.. I'll have to check and see..

I think Im going to order a kit tomorrow. Will make a fun, early christmas present for myself :)

Was the ST2 difficult to set up and does it read the CPS without problem or was some magic required?
By LAV1000
[quote=Fatalan post_id=39146 time=1574188241 user_id=3020]
Lav1000 - Thank you so much for this. I think mine runs pretty much the same as that but I was under the impression that my layshaft had 20 on it but now im not so sure. Im pretty confident that the one in the 796/696 is the same as yours.. I'll have to check and see..

I think Im going to order a kit tomorrow. Will make a fun, early christmas present for myself :)

Was the ST2 difficult to set up and does it read the CPS without problem or was some magic required?
[/quote]
It is not running on the bike yet, so I don't know if I need some "magic" to make it run.
Mostly it is down to noise issues or mismatch between sensor and input circuit.
If you wire things like pointed out in the manual there should no big noise issue.
And you need the VR conditioner, at least on ST2 they use a VR sensor.
Setup runs on the bench though.
Attachments
270Twin.jpg
270Twin.jpg (232.1 KiB) Viewed 4954 times
By Fatalan
I keep looking at the NO2C kit on DIY-EFI and im wondering if this would cover for the future plan to turbocharge the Ducati? The Wiki seems to not be working so I cannot check the spec differences between that and the full size one. Im not even sure if I need the small one as the Ducati has some rather large nooks and crannies for sticking a box of electronic goodness.

Thanks y'all
By LPG2CV
Not an expert on different boards, but I believe generally speaking, apart from the size, its only 2 of each injector and ignition channels. It runs the same firmware once you select the board.

I haven't read back, is this a carb conversion? The only possible issue you may have, is if the there is the possibility of one cylinder stealing the charge from the other. What is the layout?
Otherwise, your good to go. :D
By Fatalan
The bike started life as a fuel injected model but due to the clocks being damaged and then stolen whilst out being repaired (long, tiresome story) the whole electronic system apparently needs replacing. Im not too keen on that idea costwise so thought id do something random and turbo charge it as I realised that a standalone ECU was probably a quicker way of solving my problem and turbo bikes are great.

The original ignition system keys together the ecu, the clocks and the ignition key.

I was originally looking at other types of standalone systems but as I like Arduino based fun this seemed to tick the box perfectly. In truth I might just set up the bike "as per factory" at some point in the future but this seems like a fun project.

Thanks again :)

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?