Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
Barthoward54 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 am could it be that I purchased some bad injectors, like the coils?
Maybe, but do a straight power test on them, with Vbat on one pin and directly ground the other to the block or whatever. The injector should click when you have a completed circuit. Don't hold them open too long if they are low-Z types, but quick jumper wire tapping to ground should operate them for testing. Verify no silly stuff like your TPS over Flood Clear threshold, good grounds on all the Speeduino ground wires and between block and battery, any weird settings active like Boost Cut, rev or launch limiters, etc.
Barthoward54 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 amone question. when I unplug all the injectors, with the key on. I am reading 11.68 volts on the speeduino ground leg of the plug. Is this normal?
Yes. There is Vbat backfeeding through each LED and resistor. Due to diode voltage drop, the voltage reading should be a bit lower than Vbat actual.
Barthoward54 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 amon a better note. the new coils came in today. and there is spark and the motor fires over with a little gas sprayed into the throttle body. (just had to see if it would actually fire over.)
David
PSIG wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 am
Barthoward54 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:58 am could it be that I purchased some bad injectors, like the coils?
Maybe, but do a straight power test on them, with Vbat on one pin and directly ground the other to the block or whatever. The injector should click when you have a completed circuit. Don't hold them open too long if they are low-Z types, but quick jumper wire tapping to ground should operate them for testing. Verify no silly stuff like your TPS over Flood Clear threshold, good grounds on all the Speeduino ground wires and between block and battery, any weird settings active like Boost Cut, rev or launch limiters, etc.

the good news is all the injectors open or will spray some fuel out when the circuit is completed, via grounding on the block... I did a Happy Dance, now just have to figure out what I did or didn't do with the setup....

so onto the silly stuff, the TPS over flood clear threshold.. in the wiki it has it at 80. when I calibrated my TPS the closed throttle # is 29, and wide open is 196, what number would a person want to use. sometimes no matter how many times I read it. it just doesn't sink in.
another thing as I went through all the screens, I shut off the Cranking Bypass, finally dawned on me, that this does not pertain to this motor.
later today, I will see if it will make some happy noise...
thanks again for throwing a few bread crumbs my way.
HAPPY DAY....
I found the problem. on the engine settings, it makes a big difference on which box is checked for CC/MIN or LBS/HR,
I still have one injector not firing as well. but the motor runs, now need to check the timing and all the fun stuff. I added 2 data logs, I really don't understand how to read them yet, but if someone might take the time to look at them and see if I need to adjust anything? I would appreciate that.
I just had to make a video of it, not much but it has been a yearlong project to get to this point and I am kind of excited that it is onto the next step, of this journey, thanks again for all the help and input to get me this far...
https://youtu.be/qlJ37RYeKY8
https://youtu.be/_OBK1HHzhi4
Attachments
110 engine constant update.JPG
110 engine constant update.JPG (145.25 KiB) Viewed 6661 times
(283.15 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
(190.47 KiB) Downloaded 224 times

:arrow: Always post the exact tune that a log was taken with. ;)

Yes, I always set Table Generator settings, and click other values and options repeatedly so the values and buttons stick. :roll: Note that Table Generator is not working properly at this time (I have reported this), and while it creates a table that will hopefully get the engine started and sort-of running (the best hope of a generated table), it is handling torque curves improperly. The bottom-line is that it will help to get you running, but you'll absolutely have to tune it for any good results, just as you are about to do now.

Any weakness or malfunction in your hardware or components (weak injector?) will only frustrate your tuning attempts. It's running! :mrgreen: Now to get it all working right so you can get it tuned well and in short order. You're on your way!
David
in tracking down the problem injector, thinking it might be in the wiring. maybe. would there be any problem in putting each injector on its own channel, and just changing the setting from paired to semi-sequential. then at least with my powerprobe and tunerstudio I would be able to see what each one is doing..are my thoughts.. where I don't have a cam sensor, it should not have any negative effects, correct?
PSIG wrote: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:15 am .
Amphenol_2017.06.15_Datasheet_CIG thermistor-1157013.pdf

Now that's a cool thermistor. -40 to 572°F! 8-) Anyway, for others tracking this, there are more useful references for use of that sensor under the "Other Related Documents" on this page. Another popular choice for CHT compatible with Speeduino include the little Bosch 0 280 130 012 or 022-906-041 as used on VW air-cooled engines, inexpensive, short 10x1mm straight threads (easy to tap) and easy to calibrate. Lots of options!

David
[/quote]

I have been looking at the sensors that you referenced, "still trying to figure out the Bias Value on the one I got, or I am not entering the correct resistance." any way my reading are coming up on the tuner gauge page, are not quite there to say the least.
I went with a themistor that read up to 300 Celsius or 550 , because on this motor, others have posted that the temperature reading under the spark plug runs around 450 degrees. when loaded
this is kind of high when looking at head temps on other motors, but even the manufacture specs call for head temps that high..
at idle i have been reading with an IR gun 230 to 300 degrees on the fins. next to the spark plugs.
so far in looking at the other options, I haven't found the data sheets to let me know what their max temp is.

as far posting a tune, " I think I may have swallowed a dumb pill, every time I copy and paste, it tells me that the data did not transfer. hopefully today I will get with some of the younger generation, to show me the error of my ways..

the other problem that I will face in tuning it at the moment, is this little motor will be going on an mini airboat, and I am still a little ways out on building the redrive, so I don't have any way to put a load on the motor,
at least I am assuming that without a method to load up the motor, tuning beyond an idle would be rather difficult.

changed the injectors over to semi-sequential, and it all is working great, "found out a couple of things what you meant about good connections. "
one of the wires coming from the speeduino to the injector has some corrosion inside, and that answers why one injector was reading weak. changed the wire out and it is working great.
also when I reinstalled the din connector back on the speeduino board, I lost the crank signal, and the stepper motor.
took a couple of minutes to get that figured out. good connections are important.
all in all, I am having fun studying up and learning about the tuning phase,
thanks again for the suggestions on what to be looking at. I did use my powerprobe to verify the injectors are working, and all 4 are pretty consistent at idle
Attachments
115  pin 5 cylinder 3.jpg
115 pin 5 cylinder 3.jpg (168.84 KiB) Viewed 6630 times
finally figured out what I was doing wrong with thermistor resistance readings, it works better if you have the decimal in the correct place..
hooked it back up and the head temp, was reading the same as the air temp. will start it up later and see how hot it really gets. put a thermocouple under the spark plug, with a manual gauge. just having fun and taking time to learn a little more, what to look out for on this little motor.
also it has been a great help with the new video about basic idle tuning, slowly I am starting to understand more all the time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeLEzDP ... kJ_fCBS5lc
when I pulled the plugs today, they all had been running rich. so the next few days. we will see where I am at with getting the idle set up.
this has been a fun project. if I just take my time, think about it, and a solution will show up, for the questions that I come across.
Attachments
135 thermistor calibration tables.JPG
135 thermistor calibration tables.JPG (69.9 KiB) Viewed 6570 times
I have been having fun, it is a good learning curve, building this all from scratch. I thought that I had the fuel lines all cleaned out before the injecters were plumb in. well I found out a little different.
last week I was starting the motor up and just looking at all the different variables that are going on. then the last time a the 2 cylinders on the O2 sensor side started going real cold. I was scratching my head trying to figure out what was going on.
finally looked at the injectors.. watched a few videos on how to clean them. before I went out and ordered some new ones...
kind of liked the method of using a tire valve to pressurize the injector. so I turned out a couple of discs on the lathe to hold the injector to the valve while cleaning them out. ended up getting a bit a junk out of all 4 injectors and a couple had enough that they would not allow any cleaning solution through them until after they had been back flushed a few times. but they are all good now and back on to testing. it has been a fun and learning week.
Attachments
129 injector cleaner.jpg
129 injector cleaner.jpg (212.71 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
130 cleaning an injector.jpg
130 cleaning an injector.jpg (232.95 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
138 fuel junk.jpg
138 fuel junk.jpg (197.73 KiB) Viewed 6513 times
so I found that the exhaust valve on the #2 cylinder was bad, so I changed that out.
now when I started it up it is running real rich, the O2 was in the 10's. so I put it on auto tune and looking at the chart, the tuning jumped up almost to the top of the chart. I couldn't get it to idle under 1200
with the auto tune set like it is, the O2 sensor was reading in the 12's,
with the tuning being up on the top of the chart, it just seems kind of odd.
any ideas on where or what I need to look at?
Attachments
(139.39 KiB) Downloaded 227 times
152 auto tune table.JPG
152 auto tune table.JPG (255.87 KiB) Viewed 6449 times

Always going to be one, I have completed 3 convers[…]

Do i have to do something in arduino software ? i […]

STM32 development

Not yet, I have been too busy to look into it but […]

Hola a todos Actualizo!!! Me es grato comunicaros[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?