For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By klotzy_550
Alright, I ran through the math on the voltage regulator:

Assumptions: 14.5V battery
Current: 130mA from measurement for this board.

-161.3°C with no heat sink and 40°C ambient, P = (14.5V-5V)*0.13A = 1.24W :shock:
-113.2°C with heat sink and 40°C ambient, P = 1.24W
-60.4°C with no heat sink, Buck converter, and 40°C, P = (6.5V - 5V)*0.13A = 0.208W

Looks like I will be investing the time to develop the buck reg in my next project. In the meantime the heat sink should have my back since typical ambient weather in Minnesota during the summer is around 24°C - 27°C
By klotzy_550
Update!

I have all sensors and components needed. Everything functions as expected which is awesome! Also, this unit works as an effective self taser! :lol:

Now another update; I sat down went through my schematic, added in a buck regulator to LDO to avoid added heat. I also installed a solder jumper to allow using another ignition channel, the reason for the solder jumper is to also be backwards compatible with the original revision of the board.

I added in TARP OHL info and powered by speeduino.

Take a look!

By klotzy_550
noisymime wrote:That looks terrific! Really great work.

Just to be annoying... It's TAPR rather than TARP :P
Yeah I caught that already :lol: I am kind of nervous about the powered by speeduino logo, it doesn't show up in the bottom board render but it does in the bottom silk? rendering issue? Either way I am still tweaking things in the schematic and board. Should be done pretty soon though and I'll send you a copy of the documentation.
By klotzy_550
Well, I got it working now. Had to use the import-bmp.ulp scaling feature in terms of DPI instead of Mil.

By infinityedge
Have you posted the eagle (or equivalent) files of your latest version with power conditioning anywhere?

I'd like to use this cool project as a jumping off point for a custom ignition controller & datalogger for an old BMW motorcycle.
By klotzy_550
infinityedge wrote:Have you posted the eagle (or equivalent) files of your latest version with power conditioning anywhere?

I'd like to use this cool project as a jumping off point for a custom ignition controller & datalogger for an old BMW motorcycle.
I did not upload the board files with the variant containing the Buck to LDO DC power circuit. I can send them to you, if you want to PM me your email address I will send them out to you. If you want to do a case too, I can get something situated with that also.
By infinityedge
klotzy_550 wrote: I did not upload the board files with the variant containing the Buck to LDO DC power circuit. I can send them to you, if you want to PM me your email address I will send them out to you. If you want to do a case too, I can get something situated with that also.
PM inbound.

I'm still in the vaporous planning stages and might wind up just going with an off the shelf 12VDC-5VDC isolated converter.

No need for a case as the current gameplan is to integrate the ignition controller, voltage regulator (ST-L9484), and diode board (GM 10SI) onto a single board that goes where the stock diode board would normally go.

EDIT: nevermind, I'm not cool enough to send PMs yet. A good enough email to send to is my user name @yahoo.com

Thanks again for trailblazing and pushing me towards the most complicated solution ;)
By cx500tc
infinityedge wrote:
klotzy_550 wrote: I did not upload the board files with the variant containing the Buck to LDO DC power circuit. I can send them to you, if you want to PM me your email address I will send them out to you. If you want to do a case too, I can get something situated with that also.
PM inbound.

I'm still in the vaporous planning stages and might wind up just going with an off the shelf 12VDC-5VDC isolated converter.

No need for a case as the current gameplan is to integrate the ignition controller, voltage regulator (ST-L9484), and diode board (GM 10SI) onto a single board that goes where the stock diode board would normally go.

EDIT: nevermind, I'm not cool enough to send PMs yet. A good enough email to send to is my user name @yahoo.com

Thanks again for trailblazing and pushing me towards the most complicated solution ;)
The forums will unlock PM ability if you have a few posts on the forum. I think it is something like 4 or 5. It is a spam prevention thing.

For what it is worth, I would like to hear more about your plan.

It's actually a pretty rudimentary unit from what […]

Sorry, i just realized one thing: The 25 degrees […]

Hi y'all, I want to add a new 3-D table for Inj[…]

Yes as mentioned its 114 degrees, most older (rece[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?