For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
Hi,

I've been driving my MX-5 on Speeduino for a few years now, slowly modifying the car, engine and ECU. Meanwhile, the stack of PCB's in the car and the mods made to the 0.4.3. board, combined with new wishes, make me think I want to make one new board. So, I am designing a new board the only way I know how; copying from others and learning while I do so. I have no education or training in this field, but doing it this way I have learned a lot on other projects and succesfully finished quite a few.

Over the 0.4.3. board, I want an additional output to activate my wideband controller. Or I want an onboard WB controller, eliminating one PCB. I've copied the Injector circuits a couple of times to add this and other outputs. There are still (crossed out) other outputs in the schematic, but I feel the copied injector circuits should do fine. (Boost, idle and VVT are coils which are PWM driven.)
I want a lot more inputs, oil pressure, fuel pressure (both 0-5 V inducers), flexfuel sensor (I believe also 0-5V signal) and a vehicle speed sensor, which I need to integrate on the board to give a 5V pulse. That pulse also needs to exit to the dash, to the speedo. I copied the O2 inputs circuit for these a couple of times. But I feel I can make those a lot simpler, maybe with just two resistors to split the 5V to 3.3, and some capacitors to clean the signals?
The tacho circuit I need to check with my current set-up, the 'reset protection' and 'ADC' I still have to figure out what they do, to be honest. This is also true for the 'data connector' , and I want an CANbus connection somewhere to run a CANchecked clock in my dash at a later stage.
I will add the alternator control circuit to the same PCB, eliminating the PCB floating behind the dash currently.

I will either use the MX-5 connectors, but thoroughly reorganised, or change to different connectors all together. Also, I need to figure out which pins of the Teensy 3.5 to use for what function, so I can use standard firmware / default settings.

Here is what I collected / drew up so far:
Homepage:
https://oshwlab.com/HugoW/mx5-nb-vvt-teensy-ecu
Open in editor:
https://easyeda.com/editor#cmd=new_sche ... 05a592c6cb
I hope these are live links, so when I update I don't need to re-link. I'm not familiar with sharing via OSHWLAB yet.

Anyway, if anyone would like to help and educate me, please feel free to do so. I have little to offer in return than my eternal gratitude. If someone already has such a board designed, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

Hugo
For the pins list look at the init.ino , there you will find all the board types and the processor specific variations.
Flex fuel is not an analog signal but a frequency one like vss is.
HugoW wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 4:57 pm What benefit does Kicad have over Easy? Always willing to change up.
Main benefit is that it is native, no laggy and poorly optimized webUI to cope around, overall works much more sensibly. It is also completely offline and local. One big thing it does lack over easyeda is LCSC catalog integration.
Besides the above, I am fighting with the CPU choice. Pretty much the basic question before I can really design anything in any program. To my knowledge, there are 3 basic 'CPUs' that I can use:
Arduino Mega
Teensy 3.X
STM32

I was thinking of using a Teensy, but I was advised against it as they are becoming less easily available and 'the crowd is moving to the STM32 board, don't be left behind'. OK... But why not stick with the good old Mega? I run a simple four cylinder engine, nothing special, I only need to figure out how to make speak canbus. That and some extra sensors and HC outputs are what I need over the basic Speeduino 0.4.4 I have now. I know the Teensy does canbus, I have not seen any reference projects with the STM32 I can copy from use as example.

Please advise, if there is a canbus module for the Mega, I feel it is the most simple route to go.

Cheers,

Hugo
Ignition Angle doubled?

+1, distributor is being used as crank position, s[…]

Dude, use whatever you think will work best, or wh[…]

It has been done more than a few times, there wa[…]

Peugeot 205 rallye

Controller egt and oil temp

Still can't find what you're looking for?