For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By tonisvain
Hi.

I have been designing a new mainboard for a Megasquirt 3 and i have gotten most of the way through.
During my research i stumbled upon the Speeduino and wanted to add the compatibility for it to the board, as i will make multiple of these boards and i wanted to try the speeduino as an alternative as it gives me access to modify the firmware to my liking.

The specs of the board:
  • 12 high speed digital inputs buffered by schmitt triggers and optional 5V pullups (good for hall sensors also)
  • 24 analog inputs buffered by op-amps with an active low-pass filter (16 of witch go to a separate teensy 3.6 board and are buffered to 3.3V)
  • 4 VR sensor inputs using max9926 conditioners
  • 6 isolated EGT amplifiers with open and short detection and can be used with grounded tip sensors for faster reaction speeds. communication over I2C
  • 2 knock sensor inputs using a TPIC8101DWR for signal conditioning and wired for communications over SPI
  • onboard barometric sensor
  • 8 Ignition outputs (5V buffered signal for active coils)
  • 8 P&H injector drivers (i added pads for VNLD5090TR low side drivers in case P&H are not desired)
  • 8 active low outputs (VNLD5090TR drivers)(one has internal 12V or 5V pullup for tacho signal)
  • 2 H-bridge output pairs (used for DBW throttle outputs but can be configured for 4 single push-pull outputs. DRV8873)
  • 1 Stepper IAC output (has regular step-stick header so the user can select their own driver)
  • 2 12V power inputs with over current protection, over/under voltage protection, surge protection with keep-alive and
    reverse battery voltage protection. (keeps the smoke in the chips.)
  • has internal buck-boost power supply to keep 5V rails until input goes under 2V. (keeps the ECU happy during cranking)
  • 2 5V analog reference outputs (for sensors. 1 for ECU and 1 for GPIO and redundancy that the DBW requires)
  • protected 12V and 5V outputs for external circuitry
  • CAN-BUS (also used between ECU and GIPO)
also all of this is crammed to a single 200X150mm board and has 2 Molex MX123 66-pin connectors.
Not all pins are used currently and they can be wired however the user wants. probably for extra grounds/shielding, I/O for the GIPO etc.

i was also thinking of adding an onboard wideband amplifier, but there isn't much documentation available and i think its good enough the use the external amplifiers for it. (or if anyone has a good implementation that they are willing to share, i'm all ears... erm.. eyes.. :D )

At some point i will publish the designs here and/or github for all to use.

Back to business:

Is there a preferred pinout for the teensy 3.6 and 4.1 boards that i should use that is not just a jerry-rigged setup to make it compatible with something else?
if there are different preferred pinouts for 3.6 and 4.1 then i might have headers for both as i might have room to support both configurations.

Also i might need some help to create support for DBW and the TPIC8101 for Speeduino.

I am interested in your thoughts and if there is anyone who also needs way too many sensors and Drive-By-Wire support.

Thanks!
By theonewithin
Neither of those boards are supported.

Use the 3.5.

DBW you will need to do externally or fork Speeduino code. It's not a feature that the creator is comfortable having due to legal things and people dying..
By tonisvain
is there a plan to support 3.6?
if not, then 3.5 will have to suffice.
I just have a lot of those 3.6 boards laying around.

Regarding the DBW, i am fully aware of all the dangers related to it.
The code that runs the DWB itself will be on the other teensy 3.6 already on the board.
It would be awesome to have some way of setting up the parameters over tuner studio tho.
Also i need to send the pedal and throttle positions over to it and/or have it measure them independently act as a safeguard if the DBW controller starts acting up. There is always an option to add a third controller for the safeguard.
Also would like to map the pedal to throttle position according to RPM and possibly gear/speed.
I also have to honor the creators wishes regarding this topic and if there can't be anything related to DBW in the repo, then so be it.
Last edited by tonisvain on Sun May 09, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By dazq
There is support for teensy 3.6 and even a few boards designed and in use.
External data stream out is possible via serial and via canbus at this time , but data input is only via serial right now though work is under way to support can too.
Sounds like an exciting project, you should consider joining the slack group for techy discussions.
You should lookup @Ben when you do , he has a few t3.6 boards ( I got mine from him).
His designs are on EDA online.
By JRockland
OpelPanFan have a board who work with 3.6 on easyeda.

Also im in for a ton of sensor as Im trying to make a board for a M73 (v12)... so 2 map sensors, 2 wideband sensors, 2 air intake sensors.. 2 cam sensors...

Yes I know I just hate my life.
By dazq
JRockland wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 pm OpelPanFan have a board who work with 3.6 on easyeda.

Also im in for a ton of sensor as Im trying to make a board for a M73 (v12)... so 2 map sensors, 2 wideband sensors, 2 air intake sensors.. 2 cam sensors...

Yes that's Ben's
By theonewithin
JRockland wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 pm OpelPanFan have a board who work with 3.6 on easyeda.

Note that Speeduino will only be able to log those sensors currently.

And only log them if you have TS or similar connected.

Perhaps not worry about all of them?
By JRockland
Yea Ill have to check..
for the moment I will go with a dual built as original, see what I can do for the sensors and from there try to merge them into 1 board.
By theonewithin
Dual built???

As in run 2 separate Speeduino's?

Why?

Running some huge injectors or something that needs sequential?

Oh. You are cross posting.

That's a bad thing to do.

Keep to your own thread and don't hijack others with your ideas.
By PSIG
I would suggest reducing your sensor count, circuits, etc, and share the signals, in a very similar fashion to piggyback installations. You don't need 2 of everything and double the circuits, just one and share the signal. Also half the control failure rate. I would start thinking of it as one engine and creating more outputs to serve it.

I am also a fan of multiple ECUs doing separate things, e.g., one for fuel and one for ignition. This isolates the functions where they can't clash. You can imagine if you have one ECM driving all ignition and it loses sync — not a big deal. Two ECMs and one loses sync, firing an opposing cylinder simultaneously… :shock: Also should be easier to tune, with all ignition changes on one setting change, not one half and then copy to the other or coordinate by CAN. Just opinions from someone not doing the work. ;)

I uploaded logs and last tune and dyno plots look[…]

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wou[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?