For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By klotzy_550
Ok updates,

I spent a couple hours tuning the bike and it is doing quite well! Essentially this process started with the bare essentials only. Since the only thing I am actively controlling on this bike is spark I built a base map that had a torque reserve built in. In order to get the project running and to keep the number of variables at play to a minimum, I knew this was the best approach to use. Going forward I started using Speeduino's newer features to my advantage. I removed the torque reserve from my base timing map and implemented adaptive idle control which essentially does this for you. Additionally, since I have a CHT sensor, I was able to have an Idle Target for the Adaptive Idle Control to achieve. After a little tweaking of my brake points along with timing authority I was really able to get this dialed in! Then I stumbled across a new an ignition dwell map that was part of the latest release. I implemented the dwell settings from my dirt bike (I use the same coil) for engine speed compensation. I noticed the idle quality increased slightly with this change. Runs generally smoother and quite a bit smoother than the original CDI ignition system. The last big ticket item I want to work with is hot spark when the time comes. Since I was happy with where the bike / ecu was, I tore the entire bike down. It is now in the process of being fully restored. The ECU I went on to verify the rest of the channels that they were working. During this process I also load tested the 5V regulator. On my aux channel (Pigtail from the ecu) I can comfortably pull 85mA steady state (25*C ambient) with out getting the regulator too warm. This means I can offer add-ons for this board like a bluetooth or CANbus dongle.

The ECU specs are as follows:
Inputs:
  • Wideband O2
  • Coolant Temp
  • Intake Air Temp
  • Throttle Position Sensor
  • Manifold Pressure Sensor
  • Crankshaft speed (Hall sensor / logic input)
  • Camshaft speed (Hall sensor / logic input, could be repurposed as a switch to ground)
  • Mode switch - used for timing map (could be repurposed)
  • Vehicle Speed Sensor - (could be repurposed as a switch to ground)
Outputs:
  • 1 injector (dedicated)
  • 1 tachometer (can be repurposed, has a low side driver on its output, pulled high)
  • 1 idle output (could be a solenoid or fast idle valve, no stepper unfortunately)
  • 1 fuel pump relay driver (general low side driver, could be repurposed)
  • 1 cooling fan relay driver (general low side driver, could be repurposed)
  • 1 ignition coil driver (can be configured at build as a IGBT or logic level driver)
Auxiliary:
  • Additional serial RS232 output pigtail (could be used for a gauge, Bluetooth, logger, WiFi, or CANBus)
Dimensions:
  • Width: 55.5mm
  • Length: 72.5mm (including connector)
  • Height: 28mm
Key Notes:
  • Waterproof (in theory)
The specs of the ECU would promote builds of up to 2 cylinders, fuel and ignition, running wasted spark and batch injection. It could also be setup to run fuel sequential on a single cylinder engine.

Next up are some photos of the completed ECU! I apologize in advance for anybody out there that is still using a 56k modem. Not for the pictures, but for the fact that you have to access the internet in that fashion :lol: .

General overview:

Iso overview:

Wire harness with components:

Complete wire harness:

Cold start:
https://youtu.be/a-1z9Q0rPto

Running:
https://youtu.be/DSONmoJ6i7c
By PSIG
Nice. 8-) Can your aux cord be brought out on main connector pins? Or, could an HC or WiFi module sneak into the hump of the case perhaps? Would be nice to have only one connector if possible. I imagine a squared case would be less sexy, but far more useful for extras and goodies.

Also, can you list reasonable current values for your outputs, in-case we want to re-purpose or use something odd? E.g., the Cooling Fan output can sink how much continuous current? I know, I could look-up the parts and figure it myself, but also figure you already know the general spec's. ;)
By klotzy_550
PSIG wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:38 pm Nice. 8-) Can your aux cord be brought out on main connector pins? Or, could an HC or WiFi module sneak into the hump of the case perhaps? Would be nice to have only one connector if possible. I imagine a squared case would be less sexy, but far more useful for extras and goodies.

Also, can you list reasonable current values for your outputs, in-case we want to re-purpose or use something odd? E.g., the Cooling Fan output can sink how much continuous current? I know, I could look-up the parts and figure it myself, but also figure you already know the general spec's. ;)
David,

The pigtail could be pulled out to the main header. In future iterations will be. Only reason this one was designed with it was due to a preexisting design layout. If the Aux comms is something that is not desired, it can also be excluded. Could potentially pull in the HC or HM13 module inside the case down the road, however, I think brining in a stepper driver or VR conditioner onboard should be prioritized first.

I did some current calcs the other day and the hardware should more than capable of the following:
Injectors: 3 Amps, that would allow for 2 injectors @ 10 ohms roughly
Coil: 10 Amps, 450 mJ, if using two coils, you shall not exceed this (should be achievable with pencil coils)
Cooling Fan / Idle / and Fuel Pump: ~1.5 Amps steady state (don't recommend running a DC motor or something similar with a lot of back emf, but for relays or similar they are more than adequate)

-Maverick
By klotzy_550
raven007 wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:52 pm Where can i get one? :D
If you are serious I can build you one enclosed like above. Drop me a PM at https://www.facebook.com/550Performance or support@550performance.com for more info. I am slow to respond typically on this forum.
By klotzy_550
LPG2CV wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:38 am HI @klotzy_550 :)

Interested to know if the IGBT's worked out ok?
Worked out quite well for my application! Never ran into temperature issue. Think was barely warm.

-klotzy_550

Ok, I feel so stupid. I was running the Uno output[…]

Let's all have a laugh for second. There's trash[…]

It has been done more than a few times, there was […]

Thanks yes, I would really appreciate all the help[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?