For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By exvils
NOTE: This pcb is designed to fit in MS41 style ecu cases found in M52 engine family!
Dont use with stock cam/crank position sensors!

It is slightly fixed version of PCB that Zoatex made.
Pinout is for MS40 and MS40.1 ecu's, used in M50B20 engines (in e34 for example) and PCB/Schematics are based on pazi88's v2.2 pcb for m52

EasyEDA link
Github link for gerber, BOM, schematics etc.
Features:
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
Rev history:
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
Using HALL type sensors instead of VR:

SJ5 and SJ6 are used to power optional hall sensors with 5v or 12v. Do not use these with VR conditioner!
In rev 2.2.4 the power will be sent to pin1 in the sensor connector. Pin 2 will be signal and pin 3 is ground.
If sensors require pull-up resistor, the R39 is used for that for crank and R40 is for cam.
In addition to that R59 and R60 need to be added to get the signal to processor when VR-conditioner is not used.
Those resistors are at bottom of the board.

ALSO NOTE that do not install the vr-conditioner when hall sensor(s) are used. If you use one vr and one hall sensor, cut/desolder conditioner pins so they wont interrupt signal (i.e. for hall cam signal cut vr2+,vr2- and out2 legs from conditioner)

Again Thanks to Pazi88 and Zoatex
Last edited by exvils on Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:48 pm, edited 7 times in total.
By exvils
As for 1.2.2021
----not tested yet---- - - - ----if anyone can look on schematics (if stock pinout of ms40 is right to what i made) and check PCB that would be big help, as it is my 1st time designing PCB----
As for 22.2.2021
there were error in schematics (2.2.3) in net port naming when it comes to tacho1/tacho2, so no traces were present to arduino (fixed with additional 2 wires). On 27.2. 2.2.4 version of schematics/board was released. I forgot to put idle2 to connector/some accessible jumper by wire, so you still have to solder wire directly to IC.. If it was a problem for someone i can redo board again :ugeek:
ABBC3_SPOILER_SHOW
As for 2.3.2021 board "sucesfully" tested :lol: , injector timing looks like 2.1ish ms with around 150ish cc flowrate, but there is still same problem with the board that zoatex experienced, +12V from battery is on wrong pin so ecu always sees +12v but that 12v doesnt get converted to 5V so for ecu to run it needs usb connection and it doesnt power DME relay so it has to be done with jumper!
Last edited by exvils on Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
By pazi88
The ms40 and 40.1 is something that has been asked several times, but I haven't got time for it, so it would be good to have PCB for it.

But I see several problems in the design.

1: These ground traces are totally useless. Just wasting space on the board. the flood filled ground planes do the ground connections:
Ground.png
Ground.png (201 KiB) Viewed 4706 times
2: VR-conditioner is way too close to the IGBTs. It will for sure pick up noise from there.

3: The VIAs for ignition traces are too small and will not handle the current.

4: There is lot of traces that are not straight or in 45degree angle. Not a huge problem thought but looks ugly.

Then don't know about the schematic, but have you figured out what sensors (vr or hall) the ms40 uses and if it's vr as boards suggests, are you sure that vr-polarities are correct?
By Vauhtivaunu
pazi88 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 7:50 am
Then don't know about the schematic, but have you figured out what sensors (vr or hall) the ms40 uses and if it's vr as boards suggests, are you sure that vr-polarities are correct?
MS40 sensor is neither. It uses same kind of function as M52 cam sensor. There is oscillator and sensor alters frequency.
It´s totally useless with aftermarket ecus. It must be switched to M50(B25) vr-type or M52 hall type (or similar hall-sensor).
By exvils
I am not sure about VR polarities, every document i look on had it like this, but Zoatex had it other way around
So things i will re-do:
-play with autorouter to not make those gnd traces
-re-do VR tracing and add option to run hall/vr sensors

Big thanks for reply bytheway
By Vauhtivaunu
exvils wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:40 pm I am not sure about VR polarities, every document i look on had it like this, but Zoatex had it other way around
Just remember original crankshaft position sensor is not VR or hall-type. Whatever routing you do for CPS you must add instructions that sensor must be changed and what sensor to use.
By NickZ
I don't agree about the ground traces, I always do ground traces even though Im flood filling the ground copper. Sometimes there have been spaces that have been missed and i haven't put in a via to connect top to bottom.
AUTOROUTE isn't the best way to route a board, Ive always done it manually.

Thanks, car runs great now !!! Going to drift even[…]

sauver moteur v8

bonsoir je m appel jean marie et j habite en Franc[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

I just erased the flash, went back to 2023-10, cre[…]

Doesn't look like you can edit posts? Correct. […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?