For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By treborjm87
SBC for me too!

Using a 1996 Vortec SBC block and heads, with an EFI connection 24x crank sensor, and the 1x cam sensor from the Vortec distributor. Edelbrock LS Style intake.

I was waiting to use Nick’s Teensy 3.5 8x8 until the support for sequential inj/ign came out… but, it’s looking like this will work out better.

Thanks for the heads up on the difference between Hall and VR sensors!

Treb
By punisher454
My SBC project is a 350 with a 36-1 crank sensor that i cut out at work on the HAAS, and also using a vortec distributor as a cam sensor. Holley stealth ram for the intake, in a 92 S-10. Should make a nice driver.
I plan to use another one of these on my 73 firebird with a 6.0L as well as a dragweek style race project my son and I are building(big block s-10).
I recently spent some time tuning the terminator-x in my brothers car, which has a 6.0L + gt45 turbo in an sn95 mustang. I really like tunerstudio and speeduino a lot better than his terminator.
The Speeduino user base has for a long time been mostly 4 cyl and a few 6 cyl guys, but I think now with some sequential 8 cylinder boards becoming available the V8 user base is going to grow a lot!
By treborjm87
theonewithin wrote:There are plenty of V8's running around in paired injection.

Sequential isn't necessary.

It's just a nice to have.
While I agree that it isn’t necessary, I prefer to have the challenge and capability of having the ability to tune per cylinder. Holley’s Terminator X and other large scale ECU’s are sequential ign/inj… so, I’m wanting to do the same at a much more reasonable price.

Thank you for your response!
punisher454 wrote:My SBC project is a 350 with a 36-1 crank sensor that i cut out at work on the HAAS, and also using a vortec distributor as a cam sensor. Holley stealth ram for the intake, in a 92 S-10. Should make a nice driver.
I plan to use another one of these on my 73 firebird with a 6.0L as well as a dragweek style race project my son and I are building(big block s-10).
I recently spent some time tuning the terminator-x in my brothers car, which has a 6.0L + gt45 turbo in an sn95 mustang. I really like tunerstudio and speeduino a lot better than his terminator.
The Speeduino user base has for a long time been mostly 4 cyl and a few 6 cyl guys, but I think now with some sequential 8 cylinder boards becoming available the V8 user base is going to grow a lot!
Sounds like an awesome project! I’m happy to hear that you are involving your son. My dad wasn’t into my whole automotive experience. My kids can’t stand to get dirt under their fingernails. Lol! I’m building a 1984 Chevrolet K10. Kids will enjoy it more when the Carb is gone. Easier starts, for sure!

Thanks for sharing your project info!

Treb
By PSIG
treborjm87 wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:59 pmWhile I agree that it isn’t necessary, I prefer to have the challenge and capability of having the ability to tune per cylinder. Holley’s Terminator X and other large scale ECU’s are sequential ign/inj… so, I’m wanting to do the same at a much more reasonable price.
No problem with that, and that may be your ultimate goal; but don't let that hold you back at this point. I don't know your tuning experience (although I can "read" some from your comments), so this is a general statement that you may already know. There is a great deal of tuning and learning the manipulations of not only Speeduino, but of your tuning interfaces (TunerStudio and especially MegaLogViewer) before you can effectively tune sequential per-cylinder ICFT.

For the majority of newer tuners, the path is rather long to gain experience and skills to progress the tune to the point that per-cylinder tuning is effective. For experienced tuners, they already know it will be a while before they can fully develop the tune (there are so many settings that need tuning in every setup, along with the interactions between functions and features) in a new environment.

Anyway, whether experienced or not, gaining familiarity of operation and tuning will take time and effort, so you may as well begin now with whatever is handy. The skills will transfer directly to your next upgrade, which could be 8x8 control, and provide that last 1% of performance you are challenging yourself and your skills to find. 8-) Note I did not say 1.5-2%, as Speeduino does not yet have ICIT (individual cylinder ignition trim).
By treborjm87
I’m definitely not up to speed on TunerStudio products. Mostly, I’ve tinkered in HPTuners and Terminator X. Which is to say that I am NOT experienced in those entities. But, I can get around in them and tweak here and there, but only after going online and figuring it out.

What I’ve been missing from the other tuner programs are the (HP Tuners, specifically) abilities to change firing order (cannot put a 411 ECM on a small block Chevy without changing the ign/inj wiring), or use wideband O2 to self tune. Obviously, terminator X gives you this, but at a high price.

I am just excited about having capabilities. Sure, the ICIT capability that you mentioned isn’t there yet, (Which I wasn’t aware of) I’m still ready to learn from all of you!

I’m not looking to be a professional tuner… first, I just want to be able to take my project and make it run. Once I’ve learned more, I want to have capabilities to tune to the nth degree… doesn’t mean I’ll get there right away. Starting with a solid platform that gives me room to grow and challenge myself and, at the end of the day, be able to say that I did it (with everyone’s help here, of course).

As always, thank you to everyone here for your input. I promise, I’m open minded.

Treb
By punisher454
For me its not the slight possibility of an extra percent of power that I like capability of having sequential injection.
I like the extra idle control and low speed driveability tweaks that sometimes can help a little with the big cams I tend to run on some of my stuff.
For example the big block chevy in a little race truck (drag week type rig)My son and I are building right now we have a solid lifter flat tappet cam with 258degrees@.050 on the intake, .619 lift ground on a 107 LSA. At idle these things things are a beast to tune for street driving. I'll be doing things like running individual tubes from an IAC manifold shooting air into each port like the LT1's did. I'll also be running basically an Alpha-N type fuel map under 1100-1200 rpm. Being able to adjust the injector timing MAY help a tiny bit (and maybe not). I may even run 2 IAC's in parallel this time since the last time I did EFI on a similarly cam'd blown 454 (but with 112LSA) a single IAC didnt offer enough control of the RPM range. I had to choose between better in gear control or in neutral control. This is all stuff people with stock or mild cams dont have to really even consider.
Also with many of the front inlet manifolds you DO get uneven mixtures from front to rear. That includes LS manifolds, and tunnel ram type intakes that have a front inlet plenum like the small block Holley Stealthram and big block Accel Superram of which I am using both. And on the superram I may switch to a dual 4150type plenum and run a pair of downdraft TB's later.
A WBO2 in the header collector basically reads the average AFR of the cylinders feeding it. Although I have not yet gone to the extreme of one WB in the primary tube of each cylinder, others have done so, and sometimes they see surprising variations in AFR's.
I'm not worried about squeezing out the last HP from identical AFR's, I mainly care about the leanest one, because that is likely to be the one that fails first under high boost. If I can add a little extra fuel to the leanest cylinders with the slight chance of preventing a broken ringland or even worse its worth the effort. Once again this isnt worth bothering with on stock or mild performance builds, but its a real capability on a race motor.
The 8x8 sequential was very desirable to me, but for sure its not really beneficial for most engines. Thats why I say that when the word gets out that speeduino now has some ready to use 8x8 ecu's you will get an INCREASE in the number of V8 users.
By treborjm87
Hmmmm… Big Block Chevy!!!

I have a Gen VI in my 454SS… (Carbed) ben thinking about putting EFI on it, but am struggling to find a decent priced OEM front timing cover that has the CKP. For some reason, my searches come up “new” aftermarket timing covers that are NOT generously priced. Maybe I’ll go down that path when I can find an actual GM part number.

Treb
By punisher454
rock auto $66.xx plus shipping

I'm 99% sure the crank sensor is the same one use on the other 96-99 Vortecs like the small block and 90degree V6. And of course you can use the vortec distributor for a cam sensor.

I use rockauto a lot just to find the factory part number for stuff, and then cross reference what else it can be found on, great resource.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?