For discussion of Speeduino compatible boards designed / built by other members of the forum and for guidance around making such a board
By pazi88
Progress is slow, but the built-in CAN bus interface seems to work. This is how it can be programmed with for example FTDI breakout board:

Also managed to wake up the instrument cluster via CAN bus:

Still need to work the code. Mostly because the required CAN bus update rate is higher than serial3 so simple pass through wasn't good enough. And also need to work out correct scaling for temp and fuel consumption gauge.
By pazi88
Maybe update here. I totally forgot this thread :oops:

So I'm now at revision 1.3: https://github.com/pazi88/Speeduino-M5x ... /Rev%201.3

Changes to previous ones are that now there is 6-cyl sequential fuel support. Not only batch fire anymore. There is also now option to use DIY-EFI TinyWB controller instead of Spartan2 OEM (which can also be used). And now the CAN-interface towards instrument cluster is swapped to STM32 bluepill with just mcp2551 can transceiver. This is because I had real trouble getting the atmega 328p stable with the can interface. So far I have had no problems at all with the bluepill. This bluepill implementation is also cheaper and easier to solder on.

The rev 1.2 looks like this, rev 1.3 is almost same:

Video of that running and also the stock CAN-instrument cluster working:

Installation is super easy. For me it only took 5 minutes to swap that in and add map hose. Then just start the engine and do the tuning.

In my github there is also 202005 base tune. I'm currently working on 202008 base tune and for that I want to have nicely working closed loop VVT control for the intake cam because that's possible on 202008 FW. For next FW release I also made poll-level cam trigger which works in these too: https://github.com/noisymime/speeduino/pull/450

That basically makes the speeduino to achieve full sequential sync as fast it can get without sequential. So just a touch of a key and off you go.

And DIY-EFI.uk should be start selling these too, if you don't want to build your own.
By flat4power
Hi,
I try to compile your BluePill CAN bus (Serial3toBMWcan_BluePill) and I have this error :
no matching function for call to 'HardwareTimer::attachInterrupt(void (&)(HardwareTimer*))'

Can you help me ?
By pazi88
flat4power wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:27 pm Hi,
I try to compile your BluePill CAN bus (Serial3toBMWcan_BluePill) and I have this error :
no matching function for call to 'HardwareTimer::attachInterrupt(void (&)(HardwareTimer*))'

Can you help me ?
Sorry really late reply, but what is the stm32 core you are using?
By pazi88
flat4power wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:14 pm Hi,
I use a bluepill STM32F103C8T6
and I follow instruction like describe : https://github.com/pazi88/Speeduino-M5x ... 0m54%20PnP
thanks for your help
Ah ok, now I noticed what is the problem. The way that timer interrupts are done in core has changed. I will do fix that newer core versions work. For now, you can switch to 1.7.0 version in boards manager for STM32 Cores.

EDIT ok, should be fixed now.
By pazi88
Some progress on this front. I finally swapped this Speeduino PnP ecu to my daily that I have been meaning to do for long time. I found some nice flexible hose to go between the MAP sensor and bulkhead connector in the case:

LSU 4.9 sensor and some cable to connect that to the ecu:

Running nicely on the car:

The car runs and starts great. The poll level cam trigger was introduced in 202103 FW version and now even with sequential injection, the engine starts immediately after touching the the key. Also seems that the cold start features in Speeduino are in good shape, because it was -20c one morning and it fired up right away even with e85. I have now been using DISA valve with programmable outputs and the electric thermostat also seems to work through programmable outputs(video):

I have now set the E-thermostat to be on if the MAP is over 80kPa and coolant temp over 90c, so it works pretty much like with stock ecu, cooling the engine when there is more load. So most of the nice features that these engines have, also work with Speeduino.

The intake vanos works pretty ok in on/off mode, but I have been now working with dual closed loop VVT to make the intake and exhaust vanos working in closed loop PWM mode. What a huge job that has been, but I'm now really close to the point that I can actually drive the car using the closed loop mode and start actually tuning it.

I also had some problems with the CAN instrument cluster, which worked at bench, but in car I had random issues with it. Probably the addition of ASC/ABS CAN messages did cause some problems. There is now updated code for the bluepill to solve those issues on my GitHub and also I have added there some info regarding frequently asked questions:
https://github.com/pazi88/Speeduino-M5x ... 0m54%20PnP

It also looks like that there is some great data flowing through the CAN bus like individual wheel speeds and so on, so once the closed loop VVT works, I will try to establish bi-directional serial3 connection to speeduino, so that I can have that data on Speeduino too.
By pazi88
Small update here. The dual closed loop VVT is now working great on this Speeduino board and Josh added the support for master, so it should be in next FW release. I have now driven with it for weeks and haven't noticed problems. Here is log showing it working. Although it's from bit earlier version of the code. The current has 0.5 degree accuracy and filtering so it looks lot neater:

Unfortunately I had bit overlooked possibility of dual closed loop VVT when I designed this board in first place (because at the time there wasn't even plans to have closed loop VVT on speeduino), so these need few little mods to make that work:

So that's just couple of 1n400x diodes to prevent flyback spikes, 1k pull-up for exhaust cam and 10nF filter cap. Ignore black botch wire. It's because my board is prototype one. In my GitHub there is now rev1.4 board that includes those needed modifications. And also lot of info and instructions for frequently asked questions: https://github.com/pazi88/Speeduino-M5x ... 0m54%20PnP

It looks like you have a fuel supply issue. readin[…]

Will this have an updated version about this featu[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

I did the fix, but it's not work. I put my setti[…]

Perhaps some different points and pictures. Instr[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?