For any add-on boards such as VR conditioners, optos and OEM interface boards
By PSIG
romP44 wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:44 am This board seems nice! https://wiki.autosportlabs.com/CoilX
Interesting take on the concept, and a boost in the Zener voltage. As @Jama showed, Speeduino does not need the inverting opamp. I also noted along with raising the Zener to 110V, they also dropped the input capacitor. Hmm.
By dazq
If you read on the ms site , there have been many component variations of this circuit over the years, different installs needing tweeks here and there .that circuit I used started life with ms avr , an avr offshoot of ms that went on to become vems!
By Sunglasses
Just out of curiosity:

romP44's design looks like it will attach to the VR conditioner headers. I really like the idea to have it all compact in one place and just pull the small board out and put in another if I upgraded to a VR sensor.

But I would have concerns to route the coil negative through a Speeduino board. I read that the outputs of VR sensors can also reach amplitudes like 300 V which would be a sufficient range for the coil negative.
BACK.png
BACK.png (5.37 KiB) Viewed 5706 times
This is a section of a UA4C board where it crosses the Arduino headers. I maked the traces according to the RPM+ / RPM - inputs. For my taste the distance to the solder pads would be very small to run such a voltage. Or is the solder mask good enough to withstand?

And secondly: Maybe it is my paranoia of electromagnetic interference, but I have a feeling that a periodic signal from a VR sensor is is a little more gentle on the circuitry than a surge spike, especially if the traces run nearby others which can pick up the disturbed signals.

Can anyone eliminate my concerns? :D
By PSIG
Sunglasses wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:21 pm... Maybe it is my paranoia of electromagnetic interference, but I have a feeling that a periodic signal from a VR sensor is is a little more gentle on the circuitry than a surge spike, especially if the traces run nearby others which can pick up the disturbed signals.

Can anyone eliminate my concerns? :D
IMO, your concerns are valid, and is among reasons ignition coil drivers are not commonly placed inside the ECU case. Likewise, strong signals are avoided in parallel traces for similar reasons. However, as there are so many factors involved in EMI, the effects are unknown until tested. Also, there is nothing saying you cannot place the conditioner circuit (or HV part of it) outboard of Speeduino, much like most ignition drivers are placed outboard or near the coils. I say to do whatever makes you giggle. 8-)

David
By Sunglasses
Exactly, that is the point. I would not mind having this circuitry anywhere outside of the ECU, just like dazq or Jama reported earlier.
But inside the ECU case it is a different story. Of course it could work without issues but it depends, as always.

I think about trying it myself, to monitor some data before doing the conversion to EFI. I only wanted to give a quiet warning before romP44 makes a truckload of these ;)
By romP44
You are right, on UA4C it seems very close.
On NO2C, it seems bigger, so probably not an issue with this board.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (208.73 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
By romP44
Some progress on the PCB based on CoilX schematic.
Here is the gerber:
(26.24 KiB) Downloaded 241 times
Feel free to comment it. ;)
schematic.PNG
schematic.PNG (32 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
3D opto isolator.png
3D opto isolator.png (318.19 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
3D opto isolator back.png
3D opto isolator back.png (233.42 KiB) Viewed 5579 times
By dazq
You know you really don't need the opamp, it will work perfectly ok without :-)

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?