For any add-on boards such as VR conditioners, optos and OEM interface boards
By ttommyp
Hello,
First I'll state my "goal". Id like to make a analog gauge cluster via servo/steppers with information pulled straight from Speeduino. Im aware there are "easier" ways to create arduino analog gauges, but thats not the point. I want these gauges to be supplied with their information via CAN BUS and an additional mega unit running DxControl-GPIO.

Second, Ive been reading through the wiki on DxControls-GPIO which does seem to be pretty thorough. I conceptually understand HOW can works, however I DONT have even a basic understanding of how CAN addresses work!! Im having a hard time finding even where to start after a handful of google searches. So any direction for a NEWB would be greatly appreciated!!

If its not too much to ask would someone help me out to start, as to how I would say pull the analog signals for coolant temp, air temp, or map values (guessing 0-1023) into a unit running DxControls and view in TS?

-Tommy
By dazq
Ok , first thing
Make sure speedy has serial3 enabled. Note the address you give it( you need it for next step).I usually use 0x200 for my speedy ECU base address, but it's up to you.

Now go into device configuration in gpio and configure those values you just setup.

Now in external input sources , choose the data from speedy you want to use( in the wiki the example is for tpsadc).
Add some alias names that make sense to you so you know what data you have chosen.

That's it, gpio will now happily collect the data from speedy via serial3 and you can see it from your TS gpio project .

Now the next part , if I understand you correctly you want to have a dash with analog meters that gets its data via canbus?

Now there are a few ways to do this.
Easiest, use the 11bit broadcast config and assign a address to the data you want broadcast and gpio will get on with it.

You don't need to know how addressing works if you are doing your own thing( but there are plenty of books or online resources( check out the kvaser site for really good info or even Wikipedia is a good start).
You can choose any addresses you like if it's your project, or use addresses that an OEM might use( every OEM does this different though).
Only thing to remember, the lower the address the higher it's priority.
Of course you could add the analog needle drive code into gpio and run it directly.. but that's a different option again.
By NickZ
Ive just sent off a design for a gauge using Switec x27 steppers and each one is serial data controlled and use a ATTINY85 and can be daisy chained together. will know next week if they work.
By ttommyp
dazq Thank you very much! I'm going to start playing around immediately!!
Of course you could add the analog needle drive code into gpio and run it directly.. but that's a different option again
I've thought about this. The "knob" example in the servo section of the arduino forum would be simple. Just include the servo.h library and map the analog values 0-1023 to 0-180 or what ever degree of rotation on the servo. This option maybe slow responding though..

I've played around with steppers , but the libraries, and additional code maybe a taller task of integrating with the gpio code than I'm capable of. There is the extra hardware too, a driver for each gauge. Small servos can be attached directly to megas outputs.

I am eager to here how your gauges turn out Nick, I know steppers are a popular option! My $17 aftermarket tachometer is actually a stepper drive! I bought another to convert into a speedo, but that's for another thread :roll:
By dazq
Using the small steppers is not so difficult as you might think.
You can drive them direct from an much pin most times.
I am working using a quad driver see here
https://guy.carpenter.id.au/gaugette/20 ... ver-tests/

He also explains using a single stepper directly. It's worth the read.
By PSIG
NickZ wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:25 pm Ive just sent off a design for a gauge using Switec x27 steppers and each one is serial data controlled and use a ATTINY85 and can be daisy chained together. will know next week if they work.
They do. 8-) I have some posts here from a few years ago of little PCBs I made that direct-mount to the stepper motor and use ATTiny85s to drive them.

David

Here is one of my converted standalone gauges using a X27-168 gauge stepper motor, with a little motor-mounted PCB that holds an ATTiny, voltage regulator, etc. Just +, -, and the signal (in this example from the fuel sender). The chip is programmed to know where to point the needle based on the voltage signal it receives between 0 and 5V:
By PSIG
Note that mine are not serial-controlled with a feed from a central processor like Nick's, but completely stand-alone with direct sensor control; although they can be configured for most anything you want of course. If that's what you're after, I should have a few boards around. They were developed on a closed-source project, but the boards are available. If you want more than a couple, let me know in PM and I'll set it up.

If instead you want gauges controlled by a central controller (Mega, Nano, Teensy, etc), then you don't need an ATTiny, and you can just drive the gauges directly with the processor, or though a board such as GPIO. Depends on what you're after.
:?:
David
By NickZ
I didn't write the firmware in using, but the way it works using serial data, in the data string there is a gauge ID and needle position information, so the gauges can be daisy chained so a cluster only needs 3 wires power, ground, serial. My pcb's are a bit bigger

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?