Any general discussion around the firmware, what is does, how it does it etc.
I bought the board pre-built, made some minor tweaks to the firmware and loaded. Up to time of the magic blue smoke moment I had only had it plugged into my laptop. I kinda wish I had just provided it power through the side power before connecting the full harness. Anyway, what is likely fried since I hooked up pin 7 to a dumb coil? I will probably get 4 COPs given this new dumb coil realization; Will I have to repair the circuit (pin 7) or can I configure to use 4 other ignition pins?
Your coil is switched somehow. Points, ignition module, ECM … something. You need to use that device, or use a replacement. In your case, the switching device was in the ECM, so that's out. The replacement would be any ignition coil driver or module compatible with Speeduino, which is almost any. The choices are many, so you can pick one that is easy to find locally, or cheap online, or whatever. We could suggest some, but it would help to know what area of the planet you are on, and what types of vehicles are available to cannibalize.

The circuit likely damaged on your Speeduino board is the IGN1 channel, the one you connected directly to the coil. Not a big deal, as you have 2 or 4 IGN channels on most boards, and can simply move over to another one and enable it in code and TS settings. I would suggest using your stock coil and distributor setup first, as it's already there and ready, and only needs one channel. Get your ignition driver figured-out first and we can go from there. ;) Move to COP or whatever after you've had the chance to diagnose and repair your board.
I am near Murphy. Texas. Even before this mishap I was wanting to go to COP eventually. I was first trying to do minimal modification going with existing distributor, then COP, then wide band O2, then knock sensor, then supercharger. I am glad to put on any coil with igniter that works as long as the cost wouldn't be better spent on COPs.
Regardless, I want to repair my board. Thanks for the replies!
You mean the later 4L COP rail? I haven't used it or seen the spec's, but heard it was a good and powerful unit, on-par with LS1 coils. It appears to use an external driver.

Jeep_4L_COP_rail.png
Jeep_4L_COP_rail.png (64.68 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
That one is for 6cyl 4.0L, mine is 4cyl 2.5L. Regardless of which COP I use, I am anticipating some amount of custom mounting. Jeep never did factory COP for my 4cyl (approx. 1989-2002). Jeep did COP on their 2018-2020 4cyl but the COPs just look like typical single stick style COP with single mounting bolt hole mounted to a valve cover. Image. The 2.5L is single cam engine so doesn't have that DOHC valve cover.
I like the stick style COPs because I have quite a bit of space, exhaust header is on the other side of the motor and I like the idea of not having spark plug wires. I read good things about the VW ones.
I like the offset LS style COP (more like CPP (Coil Per Plug)) because mounting might be easier.
Attachments
20220126_193638.jpg
20220126_193638.jpg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 3636 times
Oops, thought you had the 4L. Use whatever you like, as that's part of the point of all this. 8-) I like power, and most (not all) COPs fall short on that, while they also require dwells that tend to make them unsuitable for waste-spark. If you don't need extra power, or WS, and can fab creatively - go for it.

CNP (Coil Near Plug or your CPP) or coil packs are my preference for performance applications, for both the brute power and (usually) simpler mounting. I kind-of like the in-your-face row of coils and shortie fat plug wires curving right to the plugs, but that's my personal thing. Do your thing, and have fun!
Thanks for the help and encouragement! I will let you know what coil(s) I go with.
As for repairing my board: where can I get a circuit diagram of the board? In other words what and how do I test? I think there is an IGN1 LED, then maybe it goes to R6, then where? I am unfamiliar with testing the board, clearly.
Good news, I disconnected dumb coil from board and when I crank the motor the LED lights up for that pin 7; no more smoke. I think that means the board is ok. Now I am looking for 4x CNP LS style coils and wires, I see how much easier it will be to mount vs. stick style COP. Any recommendations where I can buy 4 CNP and wires new? I don't need top of the line. I am trying to get over to a salvage yard sometime soon and will keep an eye out there.

I rewired a few grounds and tested the TPS and rel[…]

Thanks, car runs great now !!! Going to drift even[…]

sauver moteur v8

bonsoir je m appel jean marie et j habite en Franc[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

I just erased the flash, went back to 2023-10, cre[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?