Any general discussion around the firmware, what is does, how it does it etc.
By noisymime
UPDATE:
I'm just going to pull this version off SpeedyLoader temporarily until I can test out a couple of things that some people have reported. I expect this will be back up in a day or so though, so please hold tight if you were looking to update. Issue resolved and new firmware added to SpeedyLoader as 201902b

As those who have been watching the Speeduino project develop over the last few years may have noticed, January tends to be the time that I make some big structural changes to the codebase, and this year was no different.

As there has been continued interest in using Speeduino across multiple different microprocessor architectures, I've gone through and made this a much, much more modular and simpler process. Whilst multi-architecture support had been there for some time, the board specific sections were mixed in amongst the code in a way that made if difficult to add new MCUs. This has now all been pulled out and all of the code specific to each board is now contained within a single .h and .ino file pair. this makes it considerably easier to add and maintain many different microprocessors all within the same codebase and was a huge piece of work over the last month or so. It means though that working on different architectures in the future will be much simpler.

In terms of actual changes to the firmware though, there were a lot of general fixes, both large and small that I've worked through over the last couple of months. And so as usual, here's the list of them:
  • A large number of improvements to the composite and trigger loggers. There were some bugs here they meant that no data was sometimes returned, or that the data returned was invalid, particularly at low RPM and with low res triggers. These should now all be resolved.
  • Always update the Fuel Load value, even when the RPM is 0. This had caused some confusion as previously the Fuel Load value was always 0 if the engine was off.
  • Remove the injector opening time from the staging fuel split calculation
  • Add the option of having the fan control work even when the engine is turned off. Thanks to cmjdev for contributing this
  • Add an option to invert the idle stepper motor control direction (Saves reversing the wiring on some stock setups). Thanks to ric355 for this
  • Fix a rare edge case where if sequential ignition was combined with multiple squirts per cycle (>2) then some squirts would not trigger correctly.
  • Fix a bug where the idle load value sent to Tuner Studio would not update during cranking (Though the output was correct)
  • Add a check to prevent the 'Include AFR' option from engaging prior to the O2 sensor warmup time
  • Add the missing Idle Up value setting to the relevant dialog
  • Fix a warning in TunerStudio when TPS was used as the fuel load source
Some of you may also have seen the release of SpeedyLoader. This will be the new recommended method for installing the Speeduino firmware as, for most users, it will be considerably simpler and faster. No more compiling the firmware yourself, just connect your arduino, fire up SpeedyLoader and select the firmware version you want to install. Links to download SpeedyLoader can be found on the wiki: https://speeduino.com/wiki/index.php/Co ... asy_Method
Of course, for those wanting to look at and modify the firmware themselves, the code will always still be made available!

As usual, please report any bugs found with this release either in this thread, or over on Github
By lsdlsd88
noisymime wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:16 am [*]Add a check to prevent the 'Include AFR' option from engaging prior to the O2 sensor warmup time
could you explain in detail what is the purpose of this option, what is supposed to do, what could it be called in other ecu (cause apparently its NOT the same as "Incorporate AFR Target" in megasquirt.

I think there is a bit of confusion.

As always, thanks a lot for all the work.

in case someone is not aware, I'll spam your Patreon account :)

https://www.patreon.com/noisymime/overview
By noisymime
lsdlsd88 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:39 pm
noisymime wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:16 am [*]Add a check to prevent the 'Include AFR' option from engaging prior to the O2 sensor warmup time
could you explain in detail what is the purpose of this option, what is supposed to do, what could it be called in other ecu (cause apparently its NOT the same as "Incorporate AFR Target" in megasquirt.

I think there is a bit of confusion.

As always, thanks a lot for all the work.
Like the 'Include MAP against baro' option, it's a simple ratio of the current O2 reading vs the AFR target. This is then used directly as a modifier in the pulse width calculation.

Eg: If you AFR is currently 14.0 and your target is 13.0, is 14.0 / 13.0 ~= 1.07, so the pulse width would be increased by about 7%.

It's a very basic method of adjusting for differences between AFR and target, but it can be simpler and faster to setup than a PID closed loop and achieve relatively good results with.

I'm not actually sure if that's the same way the Megasquirt option works, I haven't looked at it.
By Rob Ashton
Wow just upgraded from Oct 2017 to new Feb 2019 firmware, the difference is amazing. I have left this project alone for over a year now. With the new firmware and just the sample base tune for the Mx5 provided with the Feb update the car started up straight away and idled perfectly it has never started well before. Just goes to prove Josh and all the rest of you are doing a great job improving this product. Many thanks to all of you Rob
By noisymime
Rob Ashton wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:52 pm Wow just upgraded from Oct 2017 to new Feb 2019 firmware
I can't even imagine how long the changelog would be between those 2 versions! So much has changed in that time it's hard to even remember that far back :D

Glad it's a decent improvement!

My main concern currently is the fuel pump priming[…]

blitzbox

12v is unusual. You could probe it using 5v and se[…]

Hello to everyone! I am starting this thread beca[…]

STM32 development

Do you mean the "full clean" com[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?