Speeduino is now on Github Sponsors (Rather than Patreon): https://github.com/sponsors/noisymime
Any general discussion around the firmware, what is does, how it does it etc.
By noisymime
New firmware time and once again I'll start by mentioning how some new firmware is a consolidation and bug fixing effort where I neaten up code and chase down issues that may have been introduced with new features etc. Then there are releases that come with a bunch of those new features. This month, it's the latter :D

Firmware
The big change this month comes around the load methods that are available. Previously there was a single 'algorithm' setting which had speed-density and alpha-n options. This was shared between both fuel and spark. This has now been made considerably more flexible in the code, with the fuel and spark load sources now being separate from one another. This also allows for new load sources (included calculated ones such as MAPxTPS) to be added fairly easily.

Building on the above, there is now an IMAP/EMAP load source that has been added. Explaining the theory behind IMAP/EMAP is far, far beyond the scope of this update, but in short it is a variation of the standard MAP (aka IMAP) that uses the ratio of inlet manifold pressure to exhaust manifold pressure, something that is particularly useful on turbo engines.

In addition to this, I've added what has to be one of the most requested features, an idle up input :D
I resisted adding this for a long while as I felt it was something that should be handled by closed loop idle, but enough people have finally convinced me of it's use that I've added it in.

Tuner Studio
Working with EFI Analytics, there is now the ability for Tuner Studio to automatically find and download ini files. This can be a huge timesaver, particularly for tuners, as it means the an ECU can simply be plugged into a new PC and TS will connect without needing to download the firmware that is already loaded in order to get the ini file. Historic ini files back to April 2016 are available immediately, but there is a small update required to TS itself in order to automatically pickup new ini files as firmwares are released. Keep your eyes out for updates, but this is coming!

Change Log
There are a few other nifty additions this months firmware too, so here is the full list of changes:
  • Introduce IMAP/EMAP as a load source option
  • Split the load methods for fuel and spark. Eg You can now have MAP for the fuel load source and TPS for the spark. Or vice versa. Or IMAP/EMAP + MAP etc.
  • Open loop boost control is back! Many people had asked for this, so the boost table now does double duty, working as either open loop duty cycles or closed loop targets.
  • Idle up input to allow for a single higher idle set point based on an input (Eg A/C)
  • Some bug fixes and improvements to both the simple and PID closed loop O2 algorithms
  • Fixed a bug in the fan on/off logic that may prevent it working under some conditions
  • Added the UA4C board definition from WTMtronics
The firmware can be downloaded from: https://speeduino.com/wiki/images/0/0d/ ... -May18.zip

As always, please report here if you find any immediate bugs with this release.
By fram
Nice work!!

Ok, I understand how about the IMAP/EMAP concept, but that mean in the biggest hardware config. you'll need 3 MAP sensors?
-IMAP
-EMAP
-BARO

Or, don't need the BARO value with Turbo/charger engine?

One more question, especially about work around reconfigurable timers.
With the powerfull of STM32/ARM µC, is that would be possible to go more than 9 scheduled outputs?

Franck ;)
By noisymime
fram wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:44 am
Ok, I understand how about the IMAP/EMAP concept, but that mean in the biggest hardware config. you'll need 3 MAP sensors?
-IMAP
-EMAP
-BARO
With IMAP/EMAP you no longer strictly need baro. The basic theory is that as a big air pump, all the engine is worried about is the pressure differentials between the cylinder pressure and the pressure of the manifolds either side of it. In essence, the engine is really just trying to pump the pressure in the inlet over the pressure in the exhaust, hence the IMAP/EMAP ratio is what you're interested in.
One more question, especially about work around reconfigurable timers.
With the powerfull of STM32/ARM µC, is that would be possible to go more than 9 scheduled outputs?
The STM32 still hasn't reach the point of firing an engine yet, though it's probably close. Once it does though, it will have I think 16 timers available for inj/ign (With the STM32F04 chip anyway).
Certainly the Teensy version, which is quite a bit more advanced in the firmware, has the ability to do many more (At least 16 from memory).
By PSIG
Good stuff! 8-) A writeup of the development concepts and use of any new features will be very useful also, with centering on how the feature handles function (how it works). I did note after loading this code that it did not update the ini as it had previously. :? I did an old-style manual update and it's otherwise fine. Also, I received a project warning:
Code: Select all
3 Warnings:
Warning: Parameter in .msq, but not valid for current firmware: No options found for Bit EcuParameter:ignAlgorithm equal to the proposed Speed Density
Warning: Parameter in .msq, but not valid for current firmware: No options found for Bit EcuParameter:algorithm equal to the proposed Speed Density
Warning: MSQ Units Mismatch for boostTable! Duty Cycle % found in current configuration, kPa found in MSQ, values were not converted to new units.
if it's of value. Thanks for the work!

David
By noisymime
PSIG wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:11 pm
I did note after loading this code that it did not update the ini as it had previously. :? I did an old-style manual update and it's otherwise fine.
This is expected for now. Currently the historic ini's are loaded onto EFI Analytics hosts and so need to be manually updated, which hasn't happened yet for the May release. The new beta (coming out at some point, not sure when though) will be looking for these on the Speeduino server instead, which means the will pick them up instantly once there's a new release. It's still a transitioning phase at the moment until that update to TS lands.
Also, I received a project warning:
Code: Select all
3 Warnings:
Warning: Parameter in .msq, but not valid for current firmware: No options found for Bit EcuParameter:ignAlgorithm equal to the proposed Speed Density
Warning: Parameter in .msq, but not valid for current firmware: No options found for Bit EcuParameter:algorithm equal to the proposed Speed Density
Warning: MSQ Units Mismatch for boostTable! Duty Cycle % found in current configuration, kPa found in MSQ, values were not converted to new units.
if it's of value.
Those are also expected as there were a couple of options that changed and TS just gives a warning about them.
Damouk wrote:I have just updated also and got the same message, I also spotted the required fuel was set to 0.1 not what it should be.
That said, this might be a consequence of the above and isn't something that can be ignored. I'll look into this ASAP. Everything will work fine once you just click the req fuel calculator and get the value back in, but it's not something that should happen in the first place and definitely needs fixing.

Thanks for the feedback.
By PSIG
noisymime wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:57 pm
Damouk wrote:I have just updated also and got the same message, I also spotted the required fuel was set to 0.1 not what it should be.
That said, this might be a consequence of the above and isn't something that can be ignored. I'll look into this ASAP. Everything will work fine once you just click the req fuel calculator and get the value back in, but it's not something that should happen in the first place and definitely needs fixing.
FWIW, I installed MAY18 firmware as upgrade into 4 units yesterday, and none of them had Req_fuel change from the previous setting. Yes, there were some other oddities, such as Boost Control PID sensitivity was about 1k on one and some 63k on another, but I can't say that was due to code update. More likely a fudged setting from a different setup or previous upgrade. TL;DR - I didn't find reason to think there is an issue with MAY18 based on these 4 units. Hope that helps.

David

1J and 1Q appear to be jumped at all times (with i[…]

Speeduino ECU compatibility

Speeduino works with any engine. You just need to[…]

Please read the wiki. It seems you don't understa[…]

VVT angle going backwards?

Pretty sure other than MX-5 trigger VVT is still W[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?