For anything you'd like to see added to Speeduino
By cx500tc
Back to this...
ralfs.volis wrote:update - not the speeduino, but software analyzes it - and then sends those values to speeduino.
What software running where?
By klotzy_550
cx500tc wrote:At least with tuning the engine, you have control over the vast majority of variables.
True, but what if your engine is a slut by nature? :lol:
By infinityedge
Maybe if you had an FPGA daughter board with per cylinder knock sensors (or even better, chamber pressure sensors) you could pull off some nice individual cylinder tuning. Might not even need an FPGA and be able to get by with a decently powerful ARM chip. But at that point, why are you running a speeduino and not using the more powerful chip for everything else?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qQG7ocnE3EA
By cx500tc
klotzy_550 wrote:
cx500tc wrote:At least with tuning the engine, you have control over the vast majority of variables.
True, but what if your engine is a slut by nature? :lol:
I would probably pay money to watch that.
By cx500tc
infinityedge wrote:Maybe if you had an FPGA daughter board with per cylinder knock sensors (or even better, chamber pressure sensors) you could pull off some nice individual cylinder tuning. Might not even need an FPGA and be able to get by with a decently powerful ARM chip. But at that point, why are you running a speeduino and not using the more powerful chip for everything else?

What sort of ARM board would you have in mind?
By klotzy_550
cx500tc wrote:
infinityedge wrote:Maybe if you had an FPGA daughter board with per cylinder knock sensors (or even better, chamber pressure sensors) you could pull off some nice individual cylinder tuning. Might not even need an FPGA and be able to get by with a decently powerful ARM chip. But at that point, why are you running a speeduino and not using the more powerful chip for everything else?

AVL Combustion analyzer is the answer, with Indicom on a computer.

TI has an interesting knock handling chip, but again, speeduino needs to use this data somehow. TPIC8101
By cx500tc
klotzy_550 wrote:
cx500tc wrote:

TI has an interesting knock handling chip, but again, speeduino needs to use this data somehow. TPIC8101
That chip .. well even a small microprocessor would handle it well but it must have SPI. Then, that micro would, I think, process the signal and output another signal to Speeduino indicating knock. Speeduino, then, would have to choose what to do, like add fuel or retard timing... or maybe a combination of the two.

Now, like I mentioned before, what would Speeduino do? Would it incorporate the compensations into the tune, or just fly by and wait for the next knock event to occur? If it incorporated compensations into the tune, would it periodically try to remove the compensations then fall back if knock is detected again- like a short term memory that eventually becomes set as long term if conditions persist?
By klotzy_550
cx500tc wrote:
klotzy_550 wrote:
cx500tc wrote: What sort of ARM board would you have in mind?

That chip .. well even a small microprocessor would handle it well but it must have SPI. Then, that micro would, I think, process the signal and output another signal to Speeduino indicating knock. Speeduino, then, would have to choose what to do, like add fuel or retard timing... or maybe a combination of the two.

Now, like I mentioned before, what would Speeduino do? Would it incorporate the compensations into the tune, or just fly by and wait for the next knock event to occur? If it incorporated compensations into the tune, would it periodically try to remove the compensations then fall back if knock is detected again- like a short term memory that eventually becomes set as long term if conditions persist?
I am not 100% sure with the SPI I think it can be set stand alone, but I maybe wrong, as it has an analog output. But yes I agree with you, at the end of the day, speeduino needs to interpret this data and use it. And that my friends is where the money is!
By cx500tc
klotzy_550 wrote:
cx500tc wrote:
klotzy_550 wrote:

I am not 100% sure with the SPI I think it can be set stand alone, but I maybe wrong, as it has an analog output. But yes I agree with you, at the end of the day, speeduino needs to interpret this data and use it. And that my friends is where the money is!
SPI is used to configure that chips internal gain, filtering and such. It may come up in a usable default state, but that may not be what the doctor needs for a specific engine setup.
By ArthurKolomiets
TPIC8101 is not the complete solution which reports to the controller about presence of a detonation. TPIC8101 is just the amplifier of a signal from the knock sensor with the programmable gain and frequency filter. When using this chip the signal from it must be processed by some DSP or MCU (not by an Arduino's on-board 2560).
MS3 have optional board based on this chip, but it is unsuitable for use with our device.
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (153.59 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
E190 2.3 8V FUEL ONLY

Head cover painted special heat color

I'll add that not only must VR polarity be corre[…]

The term you're looking for is I/O Expander. Here'[…]

That's weird. Even if my fork is somehow corruptin[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?