For anything you'd like to see added to Speeduino
By Chambabuilt
is it possible to include password option in the firmware?

once the speedy connects with TS it will ask for a password.

just for safety of the tuners and not letting the owner play with the tune. lol
By PSIG
Chambabuilt wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:53 am just for safety of the tuners and not letting the owner play with the tune. lol
While this appears to be an innocent request, please be careful when suggesting stuff like passwords and locks. This is a very involved subject, and needs to be explored if you wish to pursue a path like this. While doing anything you like for yourself is reasonable in an open-source project as @pazi88 said; the implications if applied to everyone are potentially strong.

For example, if you password your tune and do not allow the customer to alter their tune, you might now have taken full responsibility for the tune and its effects while denying the customer the ability to alter it for changing conditions, weather, fuel, different parts, etc, that may be desired or needed for operation or safety. It could be interpreted that the tune is yours and not theirs. You can see that, in a way, you may be backing yourself into a corner. If contemplating this angle, your tuning contract must be a very good one, and likely much better than the one you are using now. I'm not a lawyer, so that's up to you. ;)

David
By theonewithin
If you go ahead with this make sure you charge 25% compared to others!

Considering if your client moves they would be screwed if they want to change things up.
By Chambabuilt
PSIG wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:42 pm
Chambabuilt wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:53 am just for safety of the tuners and not letting the owner play with the tune. lol
While this appears to be an innocent request, please be careful when suggesting stuff like passwords and locks. This is a very involved subject, and needs to be explored if you wish to pursue a path like this. While doing anything you like for yourself is reasonable in an open-source project as @pazi88 said; the implications if applied to everyone are potentially strong.

For example, if you password your tune and do not allow the customer to alter their tune, you might now have taken full responsibility for the tune and its effects while denying the customer the ability to alter it for changing conditions, weather, fuel, different parts, etc, that may be desired or needed for operation or safety. It could be interpreted that the tune is yours and not theirs. You can see that, in a way, you may be backing yourself into a corner. If contemplating this angle, your tuning contract must be a very good one, and likely much better than the one you are using now. I'm not a lawyer, so that's up to you. ;)

David
ohh wow i didn't thought of that, well i just wanted to make sure that the user won't do something stupid with the tune that will make the engine explode and blame the tuner.

for example user increased the boost and engine exploded then he reverted back the tune and then blame the tuner for the mistake. the tuner would be clueless of what the user did that caused the engine to explode.

that's why i asked if it is possible to include a password, i didn't realize it will create a lot of complications.

or is it possible to log date and time once speedy is connected to TS? a protected log file?
so that even they re-upload everything in the speedy the time stamp will not be the same when the tuner last tuned it
By PSIG
@Chambabuilt - this is a sticky area, and how you wish to handle it is entirely up to you. Rather than try to out-smart dishonest customers, I simply offer no guarantees, and this is standard in high-performance and racing. The customer has no functional guarantees when s/he buys racing parts, custom pistons, $10000 connecting rods, experimental ECMs or anything else, because it is to be used in a high-risk or non-standard application or use. With best intentions and efforts, stuff happens, and professionals know it. If this is a problem for the customer, then they should not be involved in a high-risk activity, and you do not want them for a customer. How do you know? Simple. Will they sign the contract that simply states that?

If you get into the weeds with who is to blame, or try to control outcomes, it never ends and everyone loses. Was the failure due to a failed capacitor? Or an injector going lean for one of a dozen reasons? What was the octane in the tank? Who made sure the plug wires would not crossfire? The tuner provides a tune that works that day, on that engine, set-up that specific way, with the fuel in the tank that moment, etc. What happens after that is out of the tuner's control. This is where the customer must trust everyone in the chain just like they trust their machinist, or the guy that blended the fuel at the fuel depot, or the guy that crimped the connectors, or themselves if they use the wrong stuff or operate the engine improperly. Oh, wait. Performance and racing is always operating "improperly". ;)

David

PS: Anyone can make mistakes, and you can't prevent or protect them in every way. But, remember that if they did "something stupid", THEY did something stupid.
By klotzy_550
Semi-Relevant quote:
By Chambabuilt
PSIG wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:55 pm @Chambabuilt - this is a sticky area, and how you wish to handle it is entirely up to you. Rather than try to out-smart dishonest customers, I simply offer no guarantees, and this is standard in high-performance and racing. The customer has no functional guarantees when s/he buys racing parts, custom pistons, $10000 connecting rods, experimental ECMs or anything else, because it is to be used in a high-risk or non-standard application or use. With best intentions and efforts, stuff happens, and professionals know it. If this is a problem for the customer, then they should not be involved in a high-risk activity, and you do not want them for a customer. How do you know? Simple. Will they sign the contract that simply states that?

If you get into the weeds with who is to blame, or try to control outcomes, it never ends and everyone loses. Was the failure due to a failed capacitor? Or an injector going lean for one of a dozen reasons? What was the octane in the tank? Who made sure the plug wires would not crossfire? The tuner provides a tune that works that day, on that engine, set-up that specific way, with the fuel in the tank that moment, etc. What happens after that is out of the tuner's control. This is where the customer must trust everyone in the chain just like they trust their machinist, or the guy that blended the fuel at the fuel depot, or the guy that crimped the connectors, or themselves if they use the wrong stuff or operate the engine improperly. Oh, wait. Performance and racing is always operating "improperly". ;)

David

PS: Anyone can make mistakes, and you can't prevent or protect them in every way. But, remember that if they did "something stupid", THEY did something stupid.
very well said! thank you all for your input :) will give them contract from now on.
By evo_lucian
I totally agree with PSIG on this one. I believe in transperancy, so the customer can see exactly what I'm doing. The majority of my tunes are done remotely and most times I never even get to meet the person so it helps to explain that we are no longer dealing with a factory car. The customer should be groomed for the "tuned" car they are about to create.

Most times we see the warning signs of bad customers, you know the type that wants the tune on the stock fuel pump and assures you they will order one as soon as they get home, or they type with a million tie straps in their engine bay. At this point instead of tuning and locking the tune, it would be wiser to just walk away.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?