For anything you'd like to see added to Speeduino
By Trevor Getty
Hi Mike, great news -rev the last update ( change to revolution flag ) has worked a treat.
So the angle is now 0 based, and I think it is between 10 and 12 degrees.

theory suggested 10 degrees based on actual angle, but with the MAX VR chip, and maybe a slight delay it appear 12 degrees is much closer in practice.

So when I set fixed running ignition angle to 0, and the trigger angle to 12 degrees - my timing gun aligned perfectly at TDC.

So I think we have tested this cam pattern to completion now - it works fine.
So do you think we could request nicely that we integrate this decoder into the main code stream?

I would love to attach my base tune once I get it nailed down as reference for others, I will attach it to this ticket once completed just for reference.

N.B.
I also found out why my tune was wonkey - so as my car is a turbo car, it should have a MAP / FUEL and ignition setup greater than 100kpa as that is just atmospheric values, and the max for a N.A. car. ;p Ooopsie - so I will take my logs and raise tuning issues seperately.

So out of interest what is the next rover flywheel you would like tested - my next car would be an MGF k series, MEMS1.9 with dizzy, so crank only. Do you want me to raise a new request then to follow it through its testing, or are you going to?
By theonewithin
You have your settings backwards...

Your timing table needs to show what is actually happening in the real world.

So trigger angle probably needs to be -12 not 0 so when you set your timing table to 0 degrees it should fire ignition AT 0 degrees TDC.
By Trevor Getty
Sorry what do you mean.

My trigger angle is set to 12 degrees so that my spark plug fires at exactly tdc.
Fixed timing advance for crank and running set to 0 temoraily to make sure it was setup only based off trigger angle and ensure it was correct. So are you saying I've got my trigger angle wrong even though it shows firing at tdc?

-12 pulls it back before tdc.

I thought I had it correct and then I started to work on idle control.

Sorry if I've done it wrong. Please give me some advice on narrowing this down.
By Trevor Getty
I've read my first post and I think I see what causes you to think 0 in trigger angle.

When I said it was 0 based what I was referring to was a bug in the firmware decoder where we temporarily had the crank 360 degrees out and it needed to be 369 for a while.

Sorry if this was misleading.

I'm running 12 degrees trigger now and 0 in the cranking and cam to have it fire at 0tdc.

This works great. So now I've set it to 10 cranking and 10 running fixed while I dial the idle in.

Sorry If this caused confusion. It was carried over from another thread... :oops:
By Dziku
Hi guys! Any assumptions when you could vvc pattern that can be added to official relase?
By miker
In theory the vvt cam pattern is supported & the latest firmware has vvt support (that is slowly having issues ironed out). It should therefore work - but would need someone to be prepared to spend a lot of time working through any issues with no guarantee of success.

(I'm trying to manage expectations here so you have a positive experience)
By Trevor Getty
Hi. The car will start on vvc cam depending in the flywheel pattern you have.

beware with vvt timing it is much more dangerous if you get timing wrong.
As the timing you have at low revs may be much more advanced than necessary high into the vvc duration causing detonation.
I would definitely get yourself something to help with knock detection. I made a knock sensor as described in the tuning programmable engine management book.
It was cheap and helped me when road or dyno tuning stay inside the safety margins. But the vvt timing is worked out on the fly based on oil temperature and oil viscosity and rpm. Its one of the main reasons u can't really change the oil in the vvc k series easily without it knocking the vvc cam. Thin oil over moves the cam position and it is always over adjusting, whereas thick oil doesn't respond quick enough to rpm changes. So it takes time to work out the fueling and ignition tables based on variable cam duration. I real the default ecu values and there is lots of table factors that impact the final value

The alternative I considered was to max out the cam using the solenoid at the flick of a switch which would be like vvc on at high rpm. What turns this cam solenoid on or off to this position is up to you. The ecu could be made to do this easily based on an input switch and clt temp. effectively you could have 2 fixed cam modes instead of the variable cam that it is by default. E.g. 1. vvc fully on for track days and high power. 2. Vvc fully off for good idle, town driving, economy and mot. This gives u effectively 2 fixed cam periods. Which is much easier to time and map. I will leave that info with you for some thought.
By miker
Little update. Had someone on Facebook start their rover engine on this trigger code today. Using all rover sensors. Engine has the 1.4 flywheel (not certain of the pattern) but the code just handled it automatically.
By miker
The decoder is now part of the main branch. This means it will be part of the next firmware release when it comes out.
Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wo[…]

I uploaded logs and last tune and dyno plots look[…]

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?