Any strange behaviour, crashing issues etc, post them here! Problems compiling the firmware should go in the General support section rather than here
By jagodo
I was fiddling with my newly assembled Speeduino board and checking that all of the outputs worked correctly when I noticed that there is a pulse on all 4 injector outputs about 9 seconds after I power the board up. Looking in the code, this is a priming pulse which is instigated at the end of the setup function in speeduino.ino. So I added in some code to findout how long the setup function took and it was only 9msec.

Is this typical behaviour? I am used to Arduinos executing my sketch in about 1 second from power-up. If I reset the board, by opening the Serial Monitor say, then it only takes about 1 second before the priming pulse is sent. So the delay is just to do with power-up.

I think that 9 seconds is rather too long for when I stall the car as I pull out into traffic. Does this mean that I have to practice restarting the car (when I am panicking) without turning the ignition off? Also, I think I'd want a light to show me when the ECU was ready for me to start the car when I get in, a bit like the glow-plug light that old diesels had.
By noisymime
That's a new one and definitely not the normal behaviour. There should be no difference between a full power up and a restart through the serial port, the same code is run on both occasions.

A few questions... Does the same thing occur when TunerStudio isn't running? Which hardware are you using? How long do you actually have your priming pulse set to be?
By jagodo
I'm running a genuine Arduino Mega 2560 and it is not connected to TunerStudio. It is powered using the USB from my laptop. If I pull out the USB to stop it and then reconnect it, then it takes about 9 seconds until I see the four injector LEDs flash briefly.

I am running the latest code from GitHub (dated 13/03/2016) I have since modified the code in setup() [at line 198] to flash the ignitor LEDs for 100msec, this is the point where the code used to ensure that the outputs were CoilLOW. The ignitor LEDs now come on just before the injector ones, at about 9 seconds after power-up.

If I open the Arduino IDE and launch the Serial Monitor then the LEDs flash about 1 second later.

I haven't changed the priming pulse in the code but I have in TunerStudio in the Cranking Settings, where I have a 4ms injector priming pulse and a fuel pump priming of 3 seconds. But those would apply on a reset too, wouldn't they?
By jagodo
So I have now tried running the Arduino on its own, with one LED added to one of the injector outputs pins, and it is still the same. So it is nothing to do with the Speeduino board.

Then I tried it with TunerStudio connected, still with the speeduino shield removed. I then removed the USB briefly and when I reconnected it I saw no pulse at all on my injector LED. I also noticed that the Arduino Rx light was pulsing at about 1Hz but that the Tx wasn't flashing at all. If I reset the board using the Reset button then sometimes everything works as I expected and TunerStudio reconnects to the Arduino. Sometimes the Reset doesn't work - it always stops the processor but the sketch doesn't always restart again and the 'L' Pin 13 LED on the Arduino doesn't stay lit.

The failure to connect to TunerStudio is something that I had noticed before, in that whenever TunerStudio requires me to re-power the Arduino it then fails to reconnect and I have to exit TunerStudio too. It has always been like that, since before I got the speeduino board, so it is not my soldering!

I thought that maybe my Mega 2560 was flaky, so I've just gone and bought another. That had a sticker on it about a new IDE and it wouldn't download sketches until I upgraded the Arduino IDE to the latest 1.7.9 that included loads of updated drivers. The new Mega 2560 is a slightly different board layout, with the Reset next to the USB instead of inboard near the ICSP jumpers. Apart from that it behaves exactly the same, particularly in the 9 second start-up and the failure to reset properly.

Its all very odd.
By j.k.QV
IDE 1.7.9 ??? That sounds like Arduino.org IDE (which is not the one you want).
There is an ugly legal conflict between arduino.cc (genuino) and arduino.org, which is causing a huge confusion in arduino community.

Anyways, in case of Speeduino, you want to use the IDE from Arduino.cc (Latest IDE version right now is 1.6.8), you can get it from https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software
By noisymime
Yeah, just to be confusing, the 1.7.9 version is actually quite a long way behind the 1.6.8 in terms of changes. I haven't tried with recent versions, but I didn't think Speeduino would even compile successfully with 1.7.9.

Regardless of the reasons for the split, it's really frustrating and very counter productive.
By jagodo
That's all rather irritating. As is the way that the install wiped all of my libraries [Program Files(x86)/Arduino/libraries], including my cut down version of the OLED library that removed the memory-mapped display (for use with Nano). I'll have to checkout the backup and see if I can restore it.

On the positive side, it did at least compile, load and run!
By jagodo
I have now made some progress on this. After I got the Arduino.cc 1.6.8 installed, Windows decided to install a new driver for the 'new device' and things got even worse with the board not connecting to TunerStudio unless I used the reset button. So that made me suspicious that the driver was involved.

So I powered the Arduino from a 9v source and the sketch runs pretty much immediately. So it looks like the Windows driver is the source of the trouble.
By PSIG
It probably is, or something similar, though it is isolated to Speeduino. Various versions of MS from V1 to V3 all work as-normal (relatively seamlessly). I still experience the issues you have with TS, and it will not (ever) reconnect after a power-cycle when burning settings unless I tell TS to accept the existing commo settings. BTW - a reset won't do it, and a full OFF/ON power cycling is necessary. After 5 to 10 seconds, it connects and I move on. I certainly can't burn a minor change while sitting at the stoplight. :x Sometimes I will leave Speedy alone after power cycling, and it often reconnects by itself while I'm ignoring it for a few minutes. Weird. I hope there is a solution or another work-around as it's a royal pain when making some tune setting changes when it shouldn't. If you find a driver or whatever that works cleanly as we are used to with TS, please pass it along!

David
By noisymime
PSIG wrote:It probably is, or something similar, though it is isolated to Speeduino. Various versions of MS from V1 to V3 all work as-normal (relatively seamlessly). I still experience the issues you have with TS, and it will not (ever) reconnect after a power-cycle when burning settings unless I tell TS to accept the existing commo settings. BTW - a reset won't do it, and a full OFF/ON power cycling is necessary. After 5 to 10 seconds, it connects and I move on.
That's certainly not the expected behaviour, I've done changes and burns whilst the car is driving many times without a problem...

For what it's worth, the TunerStudio 3 beta is now live: http://www.efianalytics.com/TunerStudio/beta/
This changes the serial comms system in a number of ways and is considerably better in my testing. You WILL need the latest ini file off github in order for this to connect at all to this version of TS.

nice first of all, i read all that crap months a[…]

I rewired a few grounds and tested the TPS and rel[…]

Thanks, car runs great now !!! Going to drift even[…]

sauver moteur v8

bonsoir je m appel jean marie et j habite en Franc[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?