Any strange behaviour, crashing issues etc, post them here! Problems compiling the firmware should go in the General support section rather than here
By miker
Been working on the Impreza 1.6 fwd pattern (7 teeth on the crank instead of 6). As part of a test I normally do I put a monitor on the ignition signals. I got a strange response so repeated the test on the 6/7 decoder and saw some strange ignition events. Will need to repeat the test when I'm not tired but it looked like the dwell was "large" for two events then "small"for two events. On the events the fire event is at the wrong point (either late on the large events or early on the small events)

I didn't time the " large" events so they could be as per the settings in tuner studio or they're double the duration - which would be bad for your coils.
By jonathanlawley
thats interesting
have you made any progress past this?
by events you mean the ignition firing correct?
and if so are you saying that there are 2 small event and 2 large every 4 events?
because this could be a reason why people are having an issue with running the 6/7 reliably
By jonathanlawley
okay so an update from me
I tried the MAX9926 VR conditioner with the no code filter and the small code filter and neither worked. I got no sync.
I get sync with the DSC VR conditioner but it does not start.

I have heard that the MA9926 is the better VR conditioner but again I got no sync even after 30 seconds of cranking
By theonewithin
You need to make sure you have everything connected correctly and the correct edge detection selected.

You should be using the tooth logger extensively so you can see what sort of signal the Speeduino is actually receiving.
By PSIG
Just a reminder here, that the decoder determines which signal edge is expected. Then, the selected Trigger Edge (Rising/Falling) is based on the type of signal conditioner you use, e.g., MAX99xx (Speeduino Store, MiniMAXA2, etc) types are signal inverting, so the selected edge is opposite the edge the decoder wants. The DSC example is non-inverting, so the selected edge should be the one the decoder expects.

Additionally, both parameters expect correct sensor wiring polarity. All of these parameters must be correct for the decoder to function properly.

Either and other types of signal conditioners can work, but the DSC was specifically designed to address common setups that the MAX has trouble with, such as Toyota, Subaru, wide or double-tooth gaps, and some others. If you have tried a MAX and it doesn't work well with confirmed low noise, all correct settings and correct polarity wiring, then try a non-inverting conditioner. But, first step — know what the decoder expects. Then configure everything else to deliver that. ;)
By jonathanlawley
I think it got buried but like I did have my car running on 32-2-2-2 with this speeduino setup and the DSC so im not starting at square one

from what I've read people have had more success with the MAX99xx with the 6/7 and ive found in my personal experience with other electronics that having one chip doing most of the heavy lifting instead of several different components doing the same thing GENERALLY is more reliable and has less signal noise.

would you (or someone else) be able to explain why the DSC should be better than the MAX based one, im just curious.

Also should the MAX based conditioner's LEDs be flashing while cranking like the DSC does?
By PSIG
jonathanlawley wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:32 am… would you (or someone else) be able to explain why the DSC should be better than the MAX based one, im just curious.
No single conditioner circuit is "better" for everything. In many cases, the MAX chips are too "smart" and have trouble reading certain profiles and sensor signals. Conversely, the DSC and similar conditioners are not smart enough to detect damaged teeth or wobbly mounting, but are not tricked by certain sensors and tooth profiles that confuse MAX chips. So, it depends on the wheel, tooth shapes, gap sizes, sensor response, and several other factors as to which may work "better" on a given setup.

Unfortunately, there is no rules list that can be made to guide users, except that damage, wobble, large gaps, etc, would push you towards one or another. The only other guideline I can offer, is that a good and solid system, without physical defects or excessive noise (a defect also), should be usable with either type initially. But in-theory, no smart functions should then be needed. ;) Whether it can work or not then generally lies in if the "smart" functions that are not needed actually hurt. The general suggestion then, is to start simpler, and only use smart stuff if you need smart stuff for known issues.

An example is the MS series, which used differential circuits in some ways similar to the DSC for many years. The setups that it could not handle were fairly rare. However, adoption of "smart" chips was made by some, as smart must be better, right? In some ways yes, but others, no. The DSC was developed after the MAX was in-use, in order to answer some of the MAX's failures to read properly. It is better IMO to look at different conditioner options as options, not one better than another in any general sense.
jonathanlawley wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:32 amAlso should the MAX based conditioner's LEDs be flashing while cranking like the DSC does?
Versions of the MAX conditioner with diagnostic LEDs, such as the MiniMAX-A2, should flash on cranking if it is processing a good signal output (result). The flashing is a representation of what is actually being sent to Speeduino. Note the signal is inverted by the MAX, and so the flashing is also inverted. Still, if it's flashing, then it is outputting whatever sensor signal it interprets (right or wrong) to Speeduino.
By gt2limited
Does the firmware syncs (half sync) if there is no cam sensor using the subaru 6/7 option? Getting no sync with cam sensor not wired and was wondering if it can work as wasted spark.

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?