Any strange behaviour, crashing issues etc, post them here! Problems compiling the firmware should go in the General support section rather than here
By melvinvdb
Well no luck...
Tried with 1uF on power line and 1000pf on signal line film type:
(yeah used some glue...)
d585 caps
d585 caps
IMG_20190726_142703_resized.png (1.59 MiB) Viewed 8677 times
Than tried this DIS bobine:

Also didn't help.
Than tried using VR conditioner with VR2- to gnd.
Didn't output any signal.
Than tried with VR2- floating.
Did output but still with trigger failures:
trigger noise
trigger noise
IMG_20190726_220848.png (6.15 MiB) Viewed 8677 times
Can also be seen on composite logger:
IMG_20190726_220755_.png
IMG_20190726_220755_.png (5.97 MiB) Viewed 8677 times
IMG_20190726_220801_.png
IMG_20190726_220801_.png (5.92 MiB) Viewed 8677 times
IMG_20190726_220810_.png
IMG_20190726_220810_.png (6.22 MiB) Viewed 8677 times
I don't know how this is happening.
The only easy solution would be to switch the speeduino to falling edge and to make sure the speeduino measures the time the signal is high. If it is below a certain threshold it should ignore the signal because it's noise. A trigger tooth is never such a short period.

Anyway I'm going from The Netherlands to Italy (1200km) on Sunday with the Speeduino. It works but without full sequential injection/ignition. Gonna tune the VE table some more tomorrow.

If anyone has any idea on how to solve this issue please let me know.
By jrbe
A few things to check:

-Are you using suppressor core wires? (not solid) solid wires can make some crazy electrical noise.
-Are you using resistor spark plugs? Same noise issues likely if you're not.
-Have you tried disconnecting your alternator belt to see if the noise goes away?
-You don't accidentally have the lsx coil - swapped or shared with the signal - right?
-You could add a 2k? 1k? Resistor across the VR sensor(s) to help short out noise.
-Are your grounds good?
-are the body of your coils grounded? (Not sure this matters on the LSx coils.)
Might be worth trying to separate the coil - from the other signal wires in the coil harness. Could be inducing noise into the other wires.
Plug wires cross at 90° to any wiring? As far away as practical?
By melvinvdb
jrbe wrote:A few things to check:

-Are you using suppressor core wires? (not solid) solid wires can make some crazy electrical noise.
-Are you using resistor spark plugs? Same noise issues likely if you're not.
-Have you tried disconnecting your alternator belt to see if the noise goes away?
-You don't accidentally have the lsx coil - swapped or shared with the signal - right?
-You could add a 2k? 1k? Resistor across the VR sensor(s) to help short out noise.
-Are your grounds good?
-are the body of your coils grounded? (Not sure this matters on the LSx coils.)
Might be worth trying to separate the coil - from the other signal wires in the coil harness. Could be inducing noise into the other wires.
Plug wires cross at 90° to any wiring? As far away as practical?
-I'm using stranded wire.
-Good point! Using resistor spark plugs Bosch wr7bc
-Tried it no difference
-I definitely haven't
-would help maybe but 12v and 5v is also noisy
-coil ground was on engine block shared with alternator ground. Tried the following:
Moving coil ground to chassis ground
Coil ground to battery ground
Signal ground to battery
Signal ground to coil ground to chassis ground
Signal ground to battery ground coil ground to chassis ground
All no difference
-good point! Tried:
Coil body to coil ground on chassis ground
Coil body to battery coil ground on chassis ground
NickZ wrote:have you tried to scope the 5 volt rail with the engine running?
Yes in previous posts. Also very noisy

Will look at it later to maybe come up with other ideas.
By NickZ
sorry i can't see what board you are using? Could i be a bad power supply on your 5v (crap voltage regulator) breaking down. this would also cause spikes in the Hall effect sensor.
By jrbe
Melvinvdb, what are you using for ignition wires from the coils to the spark plugs? Some type of suppressor core wires right?

Can you scope the coil signal line(s) while running?
If you have a second channel on your scope and could set it up to pickup ignition pulses (probe near ignition wires?) Referencing spark events to noise on the scope we could see it's definitely a spark noise issue.

What else is bundled in your coil harness? Can anything that doesn't need to be in there be separated out to get it away from the coils / noise?
By jrbe
While you're scopeing the coil signal, scope the coil 12v too.
Depending on what you find, might be worth running a relayed, dedicated coil +12v line to the battery if you don't have it already.
I think you know this but all of this is to try to find out how the noise is getting in, might be multiple paths.
If you can find the noisiest line and get us a pattern pic and a zoomed in pic of the noise it would help.

FWIW, I have the ls truck coils on a project I did a while ago with a different standalone. I was having very similar issues. Usually happened over 3500rpm, logged Rpms world spike to 20k rpm and the engine sounded like it was exploding. It wasn't consistent. I never figured it out. I bought a house, drove it there and parked it 6 years ago, haven't touched it since.
By PSIG
I would suggest more testing to find clues and track-down issues. For example, try using an AM radio or your 'scope with a length of wire on the probe as an "antenna" to track down noise sources. You will always find noise, but if no stronger noise or noise close to wiring, sensors or ECM are found, then your issue could be internal; such as alternator brush or regulator noise, relay or switching noise, solenoids, motors, etc. Internal noise generators can sometimes be found by deactivating devices or pulling circuit fuses one-at-a-time until the noise changes, identifying a noisy circuit.

Clues can sometimes be by the frequency of the noise, leading you to a noisy radiator fan, vent blower, audio amp, etc. If the noise frequency follows rpm, then it's likely engine-related, and so on. Noisy wire connections or damaged wires can often be found by watching or listening to the noise, grasping a wire or bundle, gently and slowly twisting or bending for signs of noise changes, bringing you closer to the source. Good hunting!

David
By NickZ
I run LS coils on everything and have never had any noise problems, its going to be a faulty ecu board or bad wiring.
By melvinvdb
Thank you for all the help. Will get back to it to find the issue.
Seems like moving the coil ground to chassis ground helped a lot. Barely had any sync issues with semi sequential mode.
Speeduino worked perfectly in Austria! :)

Thanks for that. When you have better info, follo[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Don't forget, you can always fall-back to the &[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

*** HELP **** HELP *** HELP *** now it starts to […]

The basetunes were on so old version that they did[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?