For any discussion not specifically related to your project
By Cmstekly
Hey guys, I've been scouring the manual and a bit of the wiki and I'm just confused on actual aplication. What wire gauges should I be using for sensors(if I need to extend them) and the Power? Do I need a fuse for the power to protect the board? What fuse amperage do I need?
Thanks for any responses. :D
By 5peedmanual
If you're running 5V to sensor from 0,5mm to 0,75mm is enough. For 12V maybe 1,5mm to 2,5mm depends, 12V can pull a lot of amps. And of course you should fuse the board. I put a 2A fuse on mine. Has saved, must say.
By PSIG
Both the sensors and the ECM-only power are milliamps to low-amps. In each case, the smallest wire that is heavy enough to avoid handling and use damage is large enough. The most common minimum wire size in the industry is 20AWG/0.5mm2, or about 18AWG/0.8mm2 for industrial or off-road/outdoor equipment.

Fusing is to protect the wiring and vehicle, not the devices. Sensors are not typically fused, although polyfuses/polyswitches are sometimes used to prevent all 5V power circuits from failing if one sensor circuit shorts.

The ECM is covered with a 2A, or 3A fuse if using a stepper IAC, assuming the ECM is the only device on that line. Some ECMs have built-in WBO2 or other features, that may require larger wire/fusing if the sensor heater or other device is powered on the same circuit. Follow supplier recommendations.
By Cmstekly
5peedmanual wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 6:53 pm If you're running 5V to sensor from 0,5mm to 0,75mm is enough. For 12V maybe 1,5mm to 2,5mm depends, 12V can pull a lot of amps. And of course you should fuse the board. I put a 2A fuse on mine. Has saved, must say.
Thanks!
By Cmstekly
PSIG wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:42 am Both the sensors and the ECM-only power are milliamps to low-amps. In each case, the smallest wire that is heavy enough to avoid handling and use damage is large enough. The most common minimum wire size in the industry is 20AWG/0.5mm2, or about 18AWG/0.8mm2 for industrial or off-road/outdoor equipment.

Fusing is to protect the wiring and vehicle, not the devices. Sensors are not typically fused, although polyfuses/polyswitches are sometimes used to prevent all 5V power circuits from failing if one sensor circuit shorts.

The ECM is covered with a 2A, or 3A fuse if using a stepper IAC, assuming the ECM is the only device on that line. Some ECMs have built-in WBO2 or other features, that may require larger wire/fusing if the sensor heater or other device is powered on the same circuit. Follow supplier recommendations.
thanks!

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Niiiice... 8-) Looking forward to your updates![…]

I'd be surprised if its not a 32-bit processor on[…]

I search for the datasheet of the IC and the on[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?