For anything related to the 'official' Speeduino boards (Eg v0.3, v0.4 etc)
By TDSA
PSIG wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:12 am Though I do not presume to speak for him; I think he is saying that the basic features in Speeduino (ignition, injection, fuel pump, fan, tach, boost, VVT, etc.), and set with default output pins, should function on those pins as-is without any (or minor) configuration changes. Load Speeduino code onto a Mega, probe the various output pins, and you should see them working. Stick a Speeduino board onto the Mega, hook-up fuel pump, tach, whatever, and they should work on those outputs. They don't.

David
Spot on David - they don't work. So my next question is how was the new version of the board "released" when none of the most important/basic features don't work? Surely any interested enthusiast wanting to build and install/test a Speeduino would expect the wiring diagram to actually work.

Let me provide an example - someone has lets say a 1999 Nissan 180SX turbo and wants to install fuel injection onto the car. He will ned the following:-

Throttle posisiton
Injection
Ignition
Igniters to run the coils
Air temp - for correction
Coolant temp
Boost control
O2 - for correction/tuning whether in open or closed loop
Fuel pump
Idle control

Lets not go into launch control, VVT, Flex Fuel -- lets call these "fancy features" for now -

The above listed features are the most basic and included in any cheap >> expensive ECU you can buy/build in the world. Speeding - cannot cater for this guy. What the Speediuno can cater for is the following example only:-

A Guy wants to install fuel injection on his 1960 VW beetle air cooled - normally aspirated - he would require the following:-

Throttle position
Injection
Ignition - through his distributor
Igniter for the coil
Air temp for correction
O2 for correction/tuning whether in closed or open loop
Fuel Pump
Idle control

The Speeduino would juuuuust about manage this BUT would need considerable changes in code, utils.ino, TS changes, and some hardware changes too

OK lets simplify this even more -

Josh installed this onto a Mazda Miata - surely the following would have to be needed to run this car successfully:-

Throttle position
Injection
Ignition
Igniters for the coil
Coolant temp
Air temp for correction
O2 for correction/tuning whether in closed or open loop
Fuel Pump
Idle control

Now how did this install actually work with these features? Is there a diagram or version of code that was used with TS settings?? As this is all 99% of people who are interested in the Speeduino project would need as a MINIMUM.

CX500tc - sorry you clearly aren't running one of these boards on an engine are you? Otherwise you would be a little more helpful instead of critical of honest, frustrating questions from fellow enthusiasts.
By apollard
I would agree the 0.4.2 board has some problems that seem to result from the removal of the ULN chip. I don't know the reasons for that as it occurred before

However, three factors that were fairly clear to me before I got into making and using the Speedy:

1. It is for enthusiasts, but less for someone who is just an auto enthusiast. It is oriented more towards the electronics/computer/auto folks out there. Hence the need to build it your self.

2. More importantly, Speedy is a work in process. Witness the version numbers 0.x, the monthly code updates, the bug report and feature request forums, and the number of discussions around the basic code and features. Being a work in progress, things that work today might not work tomorrow - it's just in the nature of coding and development (and also happens in commercial products). In this respect we are all Beta testers. So for my engine, I've not updated the code - I have code that works, and it works well for the application. However, my application is not an advanced engine (nor does a marine engine need the complications auto engines do).

3. The 0.4.2 board is more of a development platform than the 0.3 version. However, both ARE development boards - the entire reason they have proto areas and allow changes to the hardware.

Less apparent - and a user judgment call - is whether the Speedy is suitable for an application. That depends on the application and your risk tolerance. For example, I have a BMW M5 with an older S38 engine. While it would be tempting to be able to tune this engine and convert it to COP, it is already on the edge and has little room for error. IF I converted it, it would not be to the Speedy - at least not yet. Similar for any engine I was racing, running high boost, etc.

I can understand the frustration and second David's suggestion to document these and report them in the bug section so they can be addressed.
By evo_lucian
quick points from me, though I have not done any testing with the v0.4.2 PCB, I share the concerns here. Although speeduino is no where closeto be called a finished product, the learning curve is intensified when you have to factor in non functioning pin outputs and possible code adjusting on the end user in.

Documentation documentation documentation ! I cannot stress that enough. PSIG preaches it every time we speak. This project will not succeed or do so slowly, if we fail to dociment changes, issues, bugs, fixes and solutions.

I made the switch to a v0.3.2 from a v0.4 and I am enjoying it and honestly I may never do a v0.4.2 unless someone asked me to. This is not to say that the v0.4 series is in anyway inadequate its just my opinion that the less technically inclined persons here will have a better experience using a v0.3 series board.
By Kelvinator
Ill be using my 0.3 board in my car, as i dont feel i can rely on my 0.4.1 board with the added jumpers to fix the ground plane issue the boards had. The 40 pin IDC without any locking mech doesnt seem good enough for in car use either, i would have to hot glue the connection down to try stop it coming free.

I like the smaller form factor and potential for one single connection (maybe move to something like an ATX24 connection like computer power supplies use?) coming from the board on the 0.4, but it seems it just not quite there.
By dazq
Kelvinator wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:46 am Ill be using my 0.3 board in my car, as i dont feel i can rely on my 0.4.1 board with the added jumpers to fix the ground plane issue the boards had. The 40 pin IDC without any locking mech doesnt seem good enough for in car use either, i would have to hot glue the connection down to try stop it coming free.
I like the smaller form factor and potential for one single connection (maybe move to something like an ATX24 connection like computer power supplies use?) coming from the board on the 0.4, but it seems it just not quite there.
I was worried about the idc40 so i managed to fit a locking version of the connector on board with just a little trimming on one corner
By PSIG
dazq wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 amI was worried about the idc40 so i managed to fit a locking version of the connector on board with just a little trimming on one corner
+1. In reality, most applications will not need re-wiring, so I skip the connector and solder direct to the board. No bad connection issues there. ;) Solder to your harness adapter or connector pins and off you go. Seriously—how often will you change the wiring or harness connector? And, it's simple to do a change or two with the soldering pencil even if you do.
8-)
David
By Kelvinator
PSIG wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:47 pm
dazq wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:40 amI was worried about the idc40 so i managed to fit a locking version of the connector on board with just a little trimming on one corner
+1. In reality, most applications will not need re-wiring, so I skip the connector and solder direct to the board. No bad connection issues there. ;) Solder to your harness adapter or connector pins and off you go. Seriously—how often will you change the wiring or harness connector? And, it's simple to do a change or two with the soldering pencil even if you do.
8-)
David
If i were to use a 0.4 board again i would definitely do this, and then have a connector on the case, hard wired to the board. I built mine in haste (of excitement) to the BOM without thinking of future use.
By TDSA
evo_lucian wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:17 pm quick points from me, though I have not done any testing with the v0.4.2 PCB, I share the concerns here. Although speeduino is no where closeto be called a finished product, the learning curve is intensified when you have to factor in non functioning pin outputs and possible code adjusting on the end user in.

Documentation documentation documentation ! I cannot stress that enough. PSIG preaches it every time we speak. This project will not succeed or do so slowly, if we fail to dociment changes, issues, bugs, fixes and solutions.

I made the switch to a v0.3.2 from a v0.4 and I am enjoying it and honestly I may never do a v0.4.2 unless someone asked me to. This is not to say that the v0.4 series is in anyway inadequate its just my opinion that the less technically inclined persons here will have a better experience using a v0.3 series board.
Is it safe to say that the issues i have with the 0.4.2 board don't exist with the 0.3 board?
Do the outputs and features work with the 0.3board?

Is anyone using the 0.3board with the fuel pump, thermofan, boost control, idle control, O2 and VVT??

Is Flex fuel available on the 0.3board?
By apollard
I use idle, O2 (and a second O2) and FP on the 0.3 board. No need in my application for the others - it has a whole lake for cooling water :).
By dazq
apollard wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:15 pm I use idle, O2 (and a second O2) and FP on the 0.3 board. No need in my application for the others - it has a whole lake for cooling water :).
Do you use the second o2 ts display option from speeduino?

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Niiiice... 8-) Looking forward to your updates![…]

I'd be surprised if its not a 32-bit processor on[…]

I search for the datasheet of the IC and the on[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?