New wiki and manual has launched! Check it out at http://wiki.speeduino.com
Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By Luke J
Hi, I'm doing a fuel injection and timing system for twin cylinder engine for University project. The system is only to be bench tested using a 12-1 gear mounted on a DC motor shaft as trigger wheel.

I have a question which might seem pretty dumb to some of you for which I apologise.

I used the 5v and gnd from the main 1-40 pins for the optical speed sensors but I need more 5v and gnd to simulate the sensors using potentiometers.Can I simply plug in the 5v and gnd to the rows on the left of the main 1-40 pins? Or do I need to connect the 12v power first? There's two rows on there with 5v and gnd.

Again, I apologise if this is a dumb question, I'm studying mechanical engineering and I'm not great with electronics :idea:
Thanks for help
By LPG2CV
Hi Luke

I'm not great with electronics either. :)

First off, what board do you have?

2nd, what do you anticipate using the potentiometers for?

Your engine, is it 2, or 4 stroke. Parallel or opposed?
By Luke J
LPG2CV wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:40 am
Hi Luke

I'm not great with electronics either. :)

First off, what board do you have?

2nd, what do you anticipate using the potentiometers for?

Your engine, is it 2, or 4 stroke. Parallel or opposed?
Hi sorry for not giving enough information. I'm using the 0.4.3 board, engine is a parallel twin 4 stroke. I want to use the potentiometers to simulate the sensors such as TPS, temperature, coolant temp and o2 sensors.
Essentially i just want to make the speeduino 'think' that the sensors are being used. Thanks
By LPG2CV
Ok
Both TPS and trigger (HE) sensors require gnd, 5v and signal, and for those there are two 5v pins on the board.

However, depending on your brief, you can simulate the HE sensor with Adustim. Search this forum for it.

The TPS is a potentiometer, which is essentially a voltage divider. Look it up. :)

The CLT temp sensor (and you may also want to include IAT) is half of a potentiometer. That is, there is a fixed resistance on one side, and a variable resistance (the sensor) on the other. So, for the CLT a d IAT circuits only two wires are required, gnd and signal. You can use a potentiometer to provide the resistance, but only connect to the middle, and one of the other tabs.
By LPG2CV
Torslund is correct that the signals in this case are 5v, but if you require the injector LEDs to flash, you will need to connect 12v to Speeduino.
By Luke J
LPG2CV wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 2:37 pm
Ok
Both TPS and trigger (HE) sensors require gnd, 5v and signal, and for those there are two 5v pins on the board.

However, depending on your brief, you can simulate the HE sensor with Adustim. Search this forum for it.

The TPS is a potentiometer, which is essentially a voltage divider. Look it up. :)

The CLT temp sensor (and you may also want to include IAT) is half of a potentiometer. That is, there is a fixed resistance on one side, and a variable resistance (the sensor) on the other. So, for the CLT a d IAT circuits only two wires are required, gnd and signal. You can use a potentiometer to provide the resistance, but only connect to the middle, and one of the other tabs.
Perfect explanation, thank you so much
Ignition timing LED light

Hi everyone, I'm building a bench test kit for my […]

Another Honda Build :P

Good day to every one As far as progress none so[…]

I think the main challenge here will be controllin[…]

R1 Thunderace trigger

Apologies for raising this old thread, but those a[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?