So it was time to get the engine back in where it rightly belongs! I had spent some time cleaning up the chassis rails and fitting a good 2nd hand sub frame. Since the old one was rotted and had been previously welded!
A big no no under our law.
Again, excitement getting the better of me. So I plugged the loom into the back of the fusebox. and connected the battery, whilst gingerly switching the ignition on as I expect for the fusebox to explode in front of me. Ignition on and no magic white smoke, so it was onto connecting the ecu. After sorting some teething issues it was ready to crank and see if it'll fire up.
Cranking over, we have sync, we have spark, but nothing. The timing offset I was certain would be wrong, but I was interested if it would atleast fart or backfire, but it did nothing. I had no idea when this engine last ran, and I was suspecting the injectors could be stuck shut. Adjusting the fuelling calibration made no difference, which upon pulling all 4 plugs they were dry, wiring checked out okay which made me pull the injectors. I am fortunate at work to have a injector tester and cleaning machine. So might as well.
Unusual style of injectors here, side feeds,not came across these in person before. Anyways off to work for some testing! Happily all of them sprung back into life with some assistance from a tappy tappy device, noting that 2 were down compared to the rest and one was dripping during its leak off test. Time to fire them into the cleaner:
After a bit of cleaning they all came up good enough, within 5% of each other in the end. in the end they all tested at 220cc, I thought was a bit odd, as I had been told they were 177cc from factory.
Injectors fired back in, timing offset set, it was ready to see if it this thing was going to run. It was also a bit of a sanity check to confirm that the 2nd hand engine I had bought wasn't a dog, there is no exhaust or cooling system on at this point, so only ran for a very short period. A few tweaks to fueling and bingo! It started!
I should point out at this point, and is something to be very aware of is that for any engine you are attempting to start for the very first time is to set a low rev limit (something around 3k). As encase when it does fire up and starts to bounce off its 7000 rpm rev limiter from stone cold
. In this case I was glad one was in place as it literally went straight to it, I realised afterwards I had not capped off some ports in the inlet manifold. But it was confirmed proof that the engine seems alright and I could now progress to a more permanent install. And get it to a stage where I can get it up to temp and ticking over nicely.
Exhaust back in, lambda fitted, cooling system plumbed up. a few other niggles and stuff. Now ready for a proper fire up and see what happens.
Got it to crack up and started dialling a rough tune for idle and light load. Just so I could a close eye on the engine as it gets up to temperature and check for any leaks etc. All good, fan kicking in and out as usual. Time for a video with a bit of good old revs
As well as one just ticking over nicely.
Seems happy! I then attempted to get the ISV valve working properly, as for the moment I have the throttle wound open quite a bit. Hopefully then get it into a full closed loop setup which would be nice.
So yes all in all good progress so far! Got to make up a relay coil to drive the tacho it seems also. As even on a 12v square wave aint enough to run it.