Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
jonbill wrote:It recalculates the ignition schedule on every tooth.
Oh.... big difference and more accurate. Without this setting, it calculate one time per rotation ? So, if engine slow down/accelerate a little bit the timing will drift.
So, i tried a true arduino and same result. I also tried new ignition mode, its better but not perfect. For the 2-3 first ignition it is very not accurate but after few turns of starter timing become very accurate.

I will try the new version of firmware.
New version 202305 don't fix the issue.

Now after few turns of starter (2 or 3) ignition timing is very good. But for first and second ignition event, timing is a little bit after top dead center and some time it is very out before top dead center. Some time, timing is very offset and never return on mark.

So, if i try to start engine with that i will have some pop in my intake when spark wil be too ealy.

Some one have an idea ?
jonbill wrote:you could set 'skip revolutions' to 3, then it wouldn't attempt to fire while it's inaccurate.
It's alreay at 3. I tried 4 and 5 and same result.

I see this comment in code : "configPage4.triggerAngle must currently be below 48 and above -81" My trigger Angle is not between this numbers. I will try it.
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (23.42 KiB) Viewed 208 times
By jonbill
I must have misunderstood what "after few turns of starter (2 or 3) ignition timing is very good" - I assumed that meant that after 3 revolutions the timing is good. What does it mean?

I guess it can't hurt to try a trigger angle between those values as a test, but ultimately the triggerAngle must be the value that it needs to be to ensure actual advance is commanded advance.
Assuming that comment is valid (unfortunately I think there are comments that aren't valid) then it suggests the decoder isn't compatible with your setup. You'd have to move the sensor so that both commanded advance = actual advance AND triggerAngle is between those two values.
jonbill wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 pm I must have misunderstood what "after few turns of starter (2 or 3) ignition timing is very good" - I assumed that meant that after 3 revolutions the timing is good. What does it mean?
When i start, the first ignition event is after tdc (around 5-10 degrees). The second is also after TDC. The third is on TDC and the following.

I think speeduino did not recognize perfectly pattern at the beginning but after few turn i will synchronize.
By Rednaxs60
Good morning. Not an expert myself, still learning; however, the old OEM EFI system is a "package" deal and the OEM has made it work very well. I had an issue with VR sensors that Honda used on my Goldwing FI system. The crank VR sensor was fine, but the VR sensors for the camshaft signal was not adequate for the Speeduino ECU (using the v0.4.4 board). Changed to Hall Effect sensors and the issue of sensor signals went away - don't have to use a VR conditioner.

Maybe try a Hall effect sensor in place of the VR sensor. I use the Cherry GS100701 from Jameco - $38.00. Needs a 1K pull-up resistor but the resistor is already on the board. Maybe search for other users of the GM7X trigger pattern and read what they did for sensor(s). Sometimes making the old components work is more of a PITA than its worth.

Good luck.
Rednaxs60 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:24 pm Good morning. Not an expert myself, still learning; however, the old OEM EFI system is a "package" deal and the OEM has made it work very well. I had an issue with VR sensors that Honda used on my Goldwing FI system. The crank VR sensor was fine, but the VR sensors for the camshaft signal was not adequate for the Speeduino ECU (using the v0.4.4 board). Changed to Hall Effect sensors and the issue of sensor signals went away - don't have to use a VR conditioner.

Maybe try a Hall effect sensor in place of the VR sensor. I use the Cherry GS100701 from Jameco - $38.00. Needs a 1K pull-up resistor but the resistor is already on the board. Maybe search for other users of the GM7X trigger pattern and read what they did for sensor(s). Sometimes making the old components work is more of a PITA than its worth.

Good luck.
Yes, it's a solution but the problem is to find the hall sensor that will fit in hole of vr sensor. My vr sensor is into engine.

Now i think the problem is that speeduino use a threeshold too high to find the sync notch. I will try to reduce it and see what happen.

If it find a false sync notch, it will start pulse and fire at bad timing. This will occurs if time between notch is not even. So if i low this treeshold, i reduce the probability to find a bad sync notch.
BMW E23 M30B28

Okay, I managed to start the engine. The &quot[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Niiiice... 8-) Looking forward to your updates![…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?