Anything not specifically related to the Speeduino hardware. Eg sensors, bluetooth, displays etc
By PSIG
crazybenn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:42 am HI,,,i'm new here. I understand the relay coil "stabilize" the sig output from the ECU....
Actually the opposite. It takes the DC voltage supplied to the coil inductor, and creates a high-voltage spike for the tachometer to read. This is for specific types of tachometers that are designed to read the negative terminal of the ignition coil.

If you cannot connect directly to the the ignition coil(-), then the circuit above creates a similar voltage pulse for the tach to read. It operates in very similar fashion to your ignition coil, only smaller, to create that spike pulse. More info in this thread about the circuit design and relays often used: Challenges getting old school tacho working

I have used several of these wrecking-yard micro-relays to make tach adapters, soldering the transistor inside, and cutting all terminals except 1 and 2 off (86 and 85 on a Bosch relay). This provides a convenient package with housing and handy terminals, for almost free. Use whatever you like that works:
20-30A_Micro-relay_12V.jpg
20-30A_Micro-relay_12V.jpg (31.8 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
crazybenn wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:42 am if i want a smaller device, what can i use instead of the relay coil?
Only the coil inside the relay is needed, which is much smaller than the relay housing. However, any inductor of sufficient potential may be used, such as an inductor from an old TV or computer, but it will likely be of similar size to the micro-relay coil. I would test with a relay or something handy for function (prove it works with your tach), then look for a smaller version of similar capability, such as the inductor below that sells for $0.80USD at electronics suppliers.

Inductor_27mH_80ohm.jpg
Inductor_27mH_80ohm.jpg (6.53 KiB) Viewed 4110 times
By Logicaluk
Which transistor do you use? Asking more package and voltage rating than the exact one.
Dan
By PSIG
All the background transistor info is in the link within the previous post. ;) I suggest reading more than just the first few posts for more background and more options:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2853
By Logicaluk
PSIG wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:03 pm All the background transistor info is in the link within the previous post. ;) I suggest reading more than just the first few posts for more background and more options:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2853
Thanks PSIG, that was not the way I wanted my first post here to go.
I did find the info in the link, just after I'd posted, but then got lost down a rabbit hole of equivalents then, whilst having my dinner, remembered I'd left the post and didn't get back to it till after you had replied.
Thanks for all the work you do here.
Dan
BMW E23 M30B28

Okay, I managed to start the engine. The &quot[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

I've managed to dig up a few obscure wiring diag[…]

Niiiice... 8-) Looking forward to your updates![…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?