Any questions you have before you begin buying, building and installing.
By mudzuk
Hello
I just lost this post so typing it all out again , grrrr , guess I took to long and it logged me out .

Anyway thanks to the replies to my previous post , I missed the fact that closed loop VVT is possible with missing tooth patterns .
I have a suzuki M16a engine and I really want to keep factory VVT on the inlet cam . It has a 36-2-2-2 crank and a 6 tooth cam , 2 teeth - 90 deg - 2 teeth - 90 deg - 1 tooth - 90 - 1 toth .

Initially I was going to get new trigger wheels made to match the ford st170 pattern , it seemed easier at the time than the mazda pattern with offset triggers . As I am doing this on the cheap , I was looking at the triggers again last night and I think I can grind off teeth on the current triggers to match the mazda pattern . Unfortunately I cant make a 36-1 as too many teeth are already gone . Hmm wonder what the minumim nuber of teeth are for a missing tooth , will look into that .

Anyway my questions are to do with trigger timing .
I know I can adjust the trigger offset , to correct the crank trigger position . However there is no adjustment for the cam . I see that there must be a little wiggle room and you set zero cam angle in the VVT setup .

Is the angle between the two teeth on one side of the cam trigger critical ? I suspect I will be a little wider than the pattern depicted in the manual , I am hoping ther is some room there and that it will not affect cam timing ?

Likewise so long as I keep the cam teeth between the 110 deg teeth on the crank , I should be good ?
The trigger pattern in the manual makes it look like these could go into the narrow gap with cam advance but I suspect thats just a graphical representation .

Since I will have to get new trigger wheels made I may as well just have at these and see how it works I guess . Will go and see what may work best now , mazda or missing tooth , I only get one shot at it as either one will mess the other up .

Thanks
Chris

Hi there, I'm doing preliminary research and hope[…]

BMW E23 M30B28

Where did the plugs come from? I've heard there ar[…]

Injected 2 stroke Bultaco

Alternator testing. Its a 3 phase circa 200w alter[…]

NO2C crank signal issues

Once again PSIG, thank you. Note this is set up fo[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?