Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
Hi guys, hopefully you all can help me figure this out...I'll give as much info as possible but if I miss anything, feel free to ask.

Basics on the car:

9a 16v VW motor
Soldered the components myself on a V0.4 board
Using 4G63 Mazda/Mitsub CAS
During cranking, all signals seem fine. Crank, TPS, IAT....etc. But no start. Occasionally I can get the car to almost kick over.
Running wasted spark and batched injection

Now when I try the test hardware function, if I try to switch the coilpack I get almost no spark. I can barely hear or see the voltage arc make the plug gap. So I started to look at my 5v trigger signal and noticed that without any coil connected, my 5v rail at the IGN pin channels is ~4.8v. But as soon as I connect a coil, it drops to ~3.4v. Everywhere else the voltage seems fine. Even if I leave a coilpack disconnected from the other IGN channel.

For reference, I'm using a standard VW coil on plug from a 2003-2006 24v VR6 engine. I know from reading up on these coils that people have successfully run them in MS3 packages using a 5v "going high" trigger (which is what my system is set for). Also wanted to note that I've wired the coilpack externally from the Speeduino and they spark just fine, so I'm fairly certain they are all working...

Am I missing something in the settings of TunerStudio? Or possibly something I forgot to wire into my harness?

Any help would you guys can give me would be great!! Thanks!
Mancino wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:47 pm So I started to look at my 5v trigger signal and noticed that without any coil connected, my 5v rail at the IGN pin channels is ~4.8v. But as soon as I connect a coil, it drops to ~3.4v.
Did you read manual? https://wiki.speeduino.com/en/configura ... k_Settings
Mancino wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:47 pm I know from reading up on these coils that people have successfully run them in MS3 packages using a 5v "going high" trigger (which is what my system is set for)
Don´t use megasquirt as reference. Speeduino is not megasquirt and for sure settings are different.
Thanks for the input everyone! I am running a 3.5ms cranking dwell, 2.7ms running dwell, and. 7ms spark duration. I did this because of some advice from another person who had success running these coilpacks.

I know Speeduino is vastly different from MS, but I assumed the settings for "high" or "low" trigger output would be the same for both...am I wrong there?

And sorry to ask but how do I post my tune?
Last edited by Mancino on Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
theonewithin wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:40 pm Replace the 160ohm current limiting resistor on n the ignition outputs with something lower value.
So, after looking at the BOM for the V0.4.3 board, I noticed that R25,27,31,and 32 call for 160ohm 2w resistors, but the part number that is listed for it is a 10ohm 2w resistor....that must've been an error in the BOM, but I never caught it until now. Not sure if that resistance is too low, but maybe that might cause an issue?
theonewithin wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:34 am 10ohms is the correct value.

It was changed to that value as the 160 was found to be an issue not allow enough current to trigger some coils.

The actual transistors can push plenty of current and won't be hurt with such a low value.

Please post your tune.
Well I think I know what's wrong then...looks like the BOM I originally used has been updated. So I do have 160ohm resistors installed. Color bands match too. So I'll change those out and retry.

And excuse my ignorance, but how do I post a tune?

Hi, I am trying to assign Signed values to the x-a[…]

Vr Conditioner Noise when cranking

New version 202305 don't fix the issue. Now after[…]

blitzbox

I've finally figured out why MAP and Lambda weren'[…]

Hello, I bring news!! Let me tell you that after […]

Still can't find what you're looking for?