Help with building your Speeduino, installing it, getting it to run etc.
By PSIG
Looks like it could be a convenient place to begin tests. Some simple testing of the wheel and sensor may reveal if it could be functional, before modifications to install the V8 wheel and new sensor. If no joy, one of the advanced ATS or similar sensors could be easily mounted inside the housing with room to spare, as a backup plan.

While a simple adapter bushing could be made on a lathe or maybe high-temp 3D, I have also used high-temp structural epoxy paste to create a form-in-place bushing and simultaneously anchor the little wheel. That's a fancy way to say I glued it in. :lol: Mix and apply the paste, verify centering and no wobble, and let it set until cured. Don't like it? Pop it out and remove remaining material with a tool or wire wheel. Have fun!
By PSIG
There are what seem to be a million choices of Hall sensors. Unfortunately, many of them are for specific purposes or actions, and we want to profile ferrous wheel teeth as a clean square signal. This means a specific type of Hall sensor* with a built-in bias (back) magnet, which is the most common type for automotive uses. Again, there are many choices, but a couple examples could be a short threaded-cylinder type (ZF/Cherry GS100710) or a bare sensor element you glue on a spacer block to the inside of the distributor body (ATS617 in the image below). This level of choices can drive you crazy, or give you options that work with your sense of how to get a sensor in there. I have not tested either type on the specific wheel type you have. Good luck!

David

[Edit for info] * Typically, automotive crankshaft and cycle (cam) angle Hall sensors may be a type that is: switching, non-latching, unipolar, back-biased, and either open-collector or open-drain. Use care in selecting "smart" sensors, as they may have features for other special purposes, such as reading dual-direction (transmissions or stop-start) or circuitry to purposely ignore damaged or missing teeth. ;)

Here I'm holding an Allegro ATS617 engine crankshaft gear tooth sensor ($8-$10), along with some hardware store parts (+$) to make my own "smart" version of the ZF. Mount the sensor in other ways as you see fit:

Here is the ZF GS100701 short sensor ($25 and up online). Drill a hole and thread it, or plain hole at wheel height and use jam nuts to position the depth:
By Steveweippert
I see it says test on one of the pins curious. So this will output a 0-5v signal or will I have to use a conditioner? I cant wait to get to work on that one I can prob make it look stock almost.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200701-121910_Drive.jpg
Screenshot_20200701-121910_Drive.jpg (261.32 KiB) Viewed 5062 times
By PSIG
[EDIT] Ha! Weaver beat me to it. :mrgreen:
Steveweippert wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:21 pm I see it says test on one of the pins curious. So this will output a 0-5v signal or will I have to use a conditioner?
No conditioner. :D Output is a float/ground signal.
AGS617 Datasheet wrote:Output. The device output is an open-drain stage. An external pull-up (resistor) must be supplied to a supply voltage of not more than VCC(max).
So, just hook it up and use the Speeduino pullup jumpers per the Wiki settings for Hall input. Output becomes a 0V--5V square wave trigger signal into Speeduino.
By Steveweippert
Awesome I just finished up the .3.7 I got from you weaver also have the no2c from your sponsorship that's going in the van. I'd like one if you have a couple how much would you want? I'll be getting a .4 soon I just like building them.

Had it running for a short period again. Same as […]

Ok, here is the first version of the adapter plate[…]

Ignition Angle doubled?

don't load your old tune in case it is corrupted[…]

Yes, totally wrong setting. Slight noise in TPS ca[…]

Still can't find what you're looking for?